Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Tevake's summer trip rolls on

It's been some time since touching in here, so I'd like to share an update about my summer trip.
In my last post I outlined the preparations made for this trip and for towing my Porsche along.
Well the efforts turned out to have been worth while as having a runabout along has really added to the enjoyment if the travels.

The first leg of the trip took me from Az to the coast in southern Ca.i then headed north along the coast eventually reaching the border with Canada.

Especially enjoyed hyw 1 north of San Francisco, and the Oregon coast where I had not traveled before. And was very surprised at the extensive long beaches there in Oregon and dunes in the southern part of the state.

Washington also had more beaches than I had realized, mostly lined with piles of drift wood, and by that I mean logs, big ones. Amazing amounts of timber along that coastline.

The exceptional high temps inland this summer kept me pretty close to to the cooler coast areas.
Once reaching the Puget sound my plan was to head inland to visit Idaho, Montana and the other states in that area that I'd not been to before.
But a tortuously hot slow drive thru Seattle on the hottest day of the year caused me to rethink that plan. And instead saw me head back down the coast heading for the Monterey area of Ca for car week there.

This ten day period in August includes the Monterey Historics, vintage sports car racing at Laguna Seca race track. And many car shows leading up to the Pebble Beach Concours show the primer show in the U S. As well as many auctions happening throughout the week. All in all fully packed week of a car lovers dream events. Definitely a bucket list affair for me, and it did not disappoint!

After that adventure wound down I finally did turn eastward. Traveling thru the valley of central Ca. And headed into Yosemite N P. As a fun route thru the Sierra mountains.

Then a series of longish days of driving have now lead me to Steamboat Springs Colo. And to continue to Colorado Springs for a family gathering.

The above is a snap shot of a wonderful travel adventure. That I have been writing up in a thread on my favorite Porsche site, sort of a travel log with pics.
Here is a link if you are interested.

R Ving with 911 in tow - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

The trip to this point has been over 4,500 miles and the coach has done very well.a couple of small repairs / maintaince stops along the way were replacing the brakes in the drive axel in a Monterey, the one I hadn't gotten to yet.
A pause in Salt Lake City for new front tires for the coach, and back tires for the car, as they had worn badly while towing. This called for an alignment redo for the Porsche, which hopefully will improve its tire wear issues. Oh , I changed the starter in the Porsche while at a friends place On Whidby Island too.

But really not many problems for a nearly 30 year old motorhome and a over 35 year old sports car on a pretty long trip.

I'm really enjoying the travels and adventures along the way.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Richard,

Nice to see your update. Looks like a nice trip.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:28 AM   #3
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Good to hear from you , Richard. Been wondering how your trip is going. Now I got to catch up with your awesome adventures on the PelicanParts forum. Thanks for sharing!
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Good on ya Richard. Sounds wonderful. Did you break out the surf board?

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Yep Dave, good being on the road. Exploring new areas.
I see that a shift back east may be in your future, is that still in the works?

No surfing for me, Mike. Have only seen a couple of surfing sessions in all the time on the coast. Then in full wetsuits in pathetic ankle snappers. Don't know how they keep their stoke going in these conditions. Oh to be young and hungry for waves.
Been enjoying bike rides, hunting for good pictures, and drives in the Porsche on select roads.

Hey Peter, hope you enjoy the thread on P P. Much easier to post pics there, and lots of good travel tips from friends on the board there.
One of the guys there has ridden over 600K miles on motorcycles. And seem to have been most interesting roads thruout the west. Great tips for good routes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	246298  
Old 08-25-2015, 07:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Still can't post more than one pic at a time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	516.5 KB
ID:	246299  
Old 08-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Sure looks like an incredible time youre having Richard. Did you get your leveler leak sorted out? Sounds like the rig is treating you right!!!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Have not dealt with the leveler sys. Yet, Mike. Going to redo the hoses once back in Az. Would have been nice to have it working a few times.

Have generated a few new items on THE LIST. During this trip.

Guess that how it goes, fix them , go have fun using them, fix them again.

I hear the same thing form owners of the newer Mohos too.

Cheers Richard
Old 08-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Absolutely