Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
Temp/Air bags...few other questions..

Hey- this is my first post as i just purchased my 89 345le last month, i live in virginia and took a greyhound down to florida to get it, and drove it back. The trip back was much better than the ride down for sure. It made it back running strong, i am 22 and everyone laughs when i tell them i bought an airstream, but i have had 2 travel trailers before... and said if i can find a rv over 30' with dual rear axles for a good price ill buy it. This one needs a little tlc just small things like cleaning, and fixing neglect of sitting for about a year which doesnt bother me, i enjoy fixing stuff up and working on things which offer somewhat of a challenge. While driving back it ran around 220ish, the same temps in florida at 70 degrees and coming through va around 15 degrees. I guess this is normal? Chevy motors always seem to run a little hotter to me. Ive heard these temp guages cannot always be correct either.... Had no sluggish power issues. I went out the other day to drive it a few miles to the gas station, and my air suspension guage read right on the borderline of green/red. While driving back from florida is was in the middle of the green, the man i purchased from knew less than i did about it when i arrived and it was the first time i looked at it, so i didnt get any help from him-i had to show him how the awning worked... but i havent had time to drive it again but turned the ignition on and the compressor ran awhile then i restarted and the guage was reading in the middle of the green again.. so do i simply need to let a little air pressure build up first?? He said the dealer he bought it from set the air bags??? Do the have a manual setting or automacially level themselves? Also, im trying to find the beltline upper/lower trims but the cheapest i can find is about a dollar a foot from Out-of-Doors Mart, inland rv wants 115ish bucks for 50 feet! Also my leveling jacks do not appear to be working, i have it in park w/em. brake on and ignition on/off either one, and flip my switch however nothing lights up. I checked the fuse in the box in the floorboard, but do they have another fuse somewhere??? And i guess any other advice would be appreciated. I changed engine oil, new k&n air filter, and changed plugs,filter,oil in generator without troubles. Anyone have any suggestions on new plugs for the engine?? as it has the 454 carb model. Anyone also put flowmaster/dynomax etc... mufflers on theirs and noticed a difference?? I think the banks package is a little outta my wallet range right now. THANKS -DAVID
swinginping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginping
Hey- this is my first post as i just purchased my 89 345le last month, i live in virginia and took a greyhound down to florida to get it, and drove it back. The trip back was much better than the ride down for sure. It made it back running strong, i am 22 and everyone laughs when i tell them i bought an airstream, but i have had 2 travel trailers before... and said if i can find a rv over 30' with dual rear axles for a good price ill buy it. This one needs a little tlc just small things like cleaning, and fixing neglect of sitting for about a year which doesnt bother me, i enjoy fixing stuff up and working on things which offer somewhat of a challenge. While driving back it ran around 220ish, the same temps in florida at 70 degrees and coming through va around 15 degrees. I guess this is normal? Chevy motors always seem to run a little hotter to me. Ive heard these temp guages cannot always be correct either.... Had no sluggish power issues. I went out the other day to drive it a few miles to the gas station, and my air suspension guage read right on the borderline of green/red. While driving back from florida is was in the middle of the green, the man i purchased from knew less than i did about it when i arrived and it was the first time i looked at it, so i didnt get any help from him-i had to show him how the awning worked... but i havent had time to drive it again but turned the ignition on and the compressor ran awhile then i restarted and the guage was reading in the middle of the green again.. so do i simply need to let a little air pressure build up first?? He said the dealer he bought it from set the air bags??? Do the have a manual setting or automacially level themselves? Also, im trying to find the beltline upper/lower trims but the cheapest i can find is about a dollar a foot from Out-of-Doors Mart, inland rv wants 115ish bucks for 50 feet! Also my leveling jacks do not appear to be working, i have it in park w/em. brake on and ignition on/off either one, and flip my switch however nothing lights up. I checked the fuse in the box in the floorboard, but do they have another fuse somewhere??? And i guess any other advice would be appreciated. I changed engine oil, new k&n air filter, and changed plugs,filter,oil in generator without troubles. Anyone have any suggestions on new plugs for the engine?? as it has the 454 carb model. Anyone also put flowmaster/dynomax etc... mufflers on theirs and noticed a difference?? I think the banks package is a little outta my wallet range right now. THANKS -DAVID
We don't have any inserts that are any way near priced like you quoted.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginping
Hey- this is my first post as i just purchased my 89 345le last month, i live in virginia and took a greyhound down to florida to get it, and drove it back. ...
David:

Congrats on your purchase - use the "search" function for individual queries - most every part or problem imaginable for the 345 has probably been discussed sometime in the past 5 years.

I will say this on the plugs, most of us have not had very good success with platinum or dual electrode plugs - stick with the standard plug recommended by Chevy.

New plug wires will help - most of us have experienced the rear couple of wires on the curb side haveing heat problems.

Rear fuel pump failure is a common occurance - I think yours will still be external.

If you don't have one, get a Chevy Service manual for the P-30 chassis - but it will not be of much help with the 12 volt electricals, but it has lots of insight on the engine and running gear. An Airstream Service Manual is also important, but again, it will not be of much help on the chassis electricals.

Good luck with your new purchase - each and every one of us who owns one can attest to their being a maintenance hog - it has to be a labor of love.

I need to say again, the search function on the upper right hand of the page will soon become your best friend.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
welcome to the forums. you'll find more info in here than any manual can offer. learn to use the search function.

the beltline's at inland are $25 and $30 per 50ft for the .25 and 1 inch. you will need the .25 & 1.5 inch for you moho. out of doors carries the black .25 but is out of the 1.5. the orange would look good though, i tried it in photoshop on mine.
elbundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
Pup Rivet

1984 31' Airstream310
Wichita Falls , Texas
David,
I have an 84 310 and I have the same issue with the rear air bags. When the MH (motorhome) sits for a while the air leaks out and the back end sets down. Starting the motor also turns on the comessor,which refills the bags. On my MH they are tied into the air tank (mounted behind the fuel tank) and the comessor accually fill the tank. The pressure in my tank is set at 110 psi max., the compressor will come on at about 65 psi to refill. There are little one-way check valves in the lines between the compressor and the tank, as well as between the tank and the bags. These leak back on mine and that is why the pressure bleeds off. This also explanes why you had good pressure when driving your unit to its new home. The pressure switch on mine is located in the electric reel compartment, along with the compressor. I did replace the head on my compressor with a orgianal replacment part that I found online. Still have the number Part number somwhere if you want it. By the way they recomended that the pump only run for about seven minites,shut it off let it cool and then run for sevn more if needed. The seal/ring on the piston is made of a plastic type of material and too much heat is bad for it ( it also comes in the kit). Good luck on your new MH.
Fred

"It's when we think we know it all, that we have the most to learn"
ftbjc is offline   Reply With Quote