Old 08-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #1

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Lafayette , Indiana
Tag axle center align

My 1985 345 tag axle has Alcoa rims. My mechanic is concerned that the rims don't center align on the hub. He says this makes them almost impossible to balance and can cause vibration and early tire issues. Does this make sense? Is there a solution?

Old 08-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
boca raton , Florida
I have the same alcoa rims. There has not been any problems as you describe.The tags aline with the outside wheel of the duel axel. My duel axels do have centramatics the tags do not. I would guess without a pix, that mabe the tag has to be reversed to match the duel outside tire.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I think what your mechanic is describing is that the center hole on your rims is not in the exact center of the Wheel. This makes it very difficult to get proper balance because most balancing machines work from the center hole in your rim. I had this situation for years until a Les Schwab mechanic figured out the problem. He described to me how the balancer worked and that to get a true balance the wheel must be bolted to the balancer using the lugs as the center point instead of the center hole. He informed me to request "direct bolt on" balancing and since then I have never had a problem.
Sam
Old 08-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
Try and find a tire store with a Hunter Road Force balancer. It's a state of the art balancer that actually has a roller that presses against the tire as it spins to simulate the road and can read if the tire is perfectly round as well as balanced. I had my alcoa rims done on one and it made a big difference in the ride.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
There are two types of mounting for truck wheels. Hub centered where the center hole locates the wheel on a recess or step on the hub. The lug nuts are flat and merely clamp the wheel to the hub. The other is lug centered where the center hole is loose on the hub and the lug nuts and lug holes on the wheel are tapered and the lugs actually locate or center the wheel on the hub.

The P-30 Alcoa wheels I have are hub centered and I would assume you tag axle hub should the step for a hub centered wheel.

Good luck, Dan
Old 08-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #6

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Lafayette , Indiana
Rims have about 1/4 inch space around the center hub. Neither studs or holes are tapered. Nuts are flat. Mechanic looking at machining a spacer to fill in the gap.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geller View Post
Rims have about 1/4 inch space around the center hub. Neither studs or holes are tapered. Nuts are flat. Mechanic looking at machining a spacer to fill in the gap.
That is definitely not the correct set up but a spacer sounds like a good solution. You might have your machinist take a skim cut on your hub just to make sure it is true to the bearings and spindle. It will also give an accurate register to make you spacer run true. I haven't seen your hubs and it may be a bit of overkill but as a machinist I would want to cover all the bases.

Do you know if they are the original hubs or maybe replaced with an incorrect part by a po?

Good luck Dan
Old 08-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
I think what your mechanic is describing is that the center hole on your rims is not in the exact center of the Wheel. This makes it very difficult to get proper balance because most balancing machines work from the center hole in your rim. I had this situation for years until a Les Schwab mechanic figured out the problem. He described to me how the balancer worked and that to get a true balance the wheel must be bolted to the balancer using the lugs as the center point instead of the center hole. He informed me to request "direct bolt on" balancing and since then I have never had a problem.
Sam
Sam,

Great post! This might explain why we had a set of tires (all six) that couldn't be balanced. We actually made the tire store reimburse us for the tires and we went and bought new ones else where.

Thanks for posting.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote