Old 06-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #1

1992 35' Airstream 350
Gardnerville , Nevada
Tag Axle Brake Controller Location

I hope someone can help me here. I am trying to locate the tag axle brake controller on my 1992 350 LE Classic. The manual says it it a pendulum type controller mounted on the left side of the steering column support bracket. The manual also says there should be 4 wires coming out of it, red, white, black, and blue.

Either it's not there, or I can't get in there deep enough?? My guess is that it is probably located somewhere else. Does anyone have any idea where else it might be and maybe a picture?

Trying to get this dude ready for an Alaska road trip, and we are leaving in about a week. Thanks for any and all help.

Cheers,

Eric

eb4strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey Eric,
On my 325 it's located on the left side of steering colum, just below the edge of the dash. 3.5 x 6 inch ,black, with a lever sticking out of it. Mine has a light on it too. When you hit the brakes, the little red light. Comes on. All this thing does is control the amount of voltage to the magnets on the tag. If it is working, lift up one of the tag wheels, spin it, and gave someone inside hit the brake pedal. If they re working, the wheel will stop. You'll hear a grating noise, that's the magnet rubbing . It'll go away with a little use. If it's not working, check for voltage, same procedure disconnect wires to brake, gave someone hit the brakes, if the brakes has power, the voltage will go up with the more pressure you put on pedal. Then you know the control box is working. The knob n the box rotates, that's to adjust how much voltage to magnets. Really, the tag does some braking, but, it wouldn't keep me or overly concern my if they didn't work. I'm going to glacier park late July. Maybe we'll cross trails. How cool would that be. Look for the flags. That'll be us. DJ

davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:00 PM   #3

1992 35' Airstream 350
Gardnerville , Nevada
DJ,

It sounds like you are describing a normal trailer brake controller, of which I am pretty familiar with. However, my Airstream Motorhome does not have one on the left side of my steering column. Any idea where else they might have put it? Or, could it be some small plastic box that doesn't look like a brake controller?

Eric
Old 06-24-2018, 11:05 PM   #4

1992 35' Airstream 350
Gardnerville , Nevada
Found it

I found the tag axle brake controller. It is located under the hood on the right side vertical grill support. So much for the manual stating it was mounted to the left side of the steering column support. It is a big old square Tekonsha, that looks nothing like a trailer brake controller.

Thanks for the response DJ.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 06-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey Eric,
Glad you found it. Is it the adjustable kind. So my question to the airstream engineers is, how are you supposed to adjust the braking on the tag. Drive, stop, go out , open the hood, give the knob a little twist, close the hood, test drive. And hope you got it right . Aaahhhh. Well, at least you found it. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote