Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Swap front seats for 360 swivels?

Hey Folks,

Has anyone ever swapped the front seats for ones that can swivel to face the living area? Or is that way too much of an engineering challenge?

My guess is you'd have to lift the doghouse out of the way to turn them around, or at least you'd have to if the existing ones swiveled.

And then I don't know where you'd get the equipment ...

Is this an insane idea?
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Martin did on his Argosy rebuild.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:56 AM   #3
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Steering wheel is the biggest issue - I changed for a removable wheel.

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Martin, this is so cool! Is there another thread where you detail what you did?

The dash looks like of like a 345 dash and there does seem to be a doghouse, so maybe we could do it too.

Where did you get the seats? What kind are they?
Did you do the conversion to a removable steering wheel yourself?

It looks great! But it's a little hard to see because it's so dark.

Thanks for any further guidance you may have.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Albuquerque , New Mexico
ditto Jenniflow

I would interested in doing this too.

35 years are not kind to upholstery or carpet in southwest heat

thread drift:

The carpet needs to go in mine. The solution is relatively easy in the living area: laminate floating floor. But for the driving area, has anyone tried putting something over the carpet (not removing it?) I propose this because if carpet helps with heat and noise, why not put another layer over it? I would really like to find a way to screw down panels of sheetmetal over the carpet. Crazy?
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #6
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
All the details are in the Bella rebuild thread (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f310...ad-125552.html) but in summary, I had a complication that Bella was missing the original seat bases and the tallest replacement bases are 10" (2" below original) - you need that height to get over the dog house. If you have your original seat bases it makes things simpler.

I used second row seats from a VW Routan (same as a Dodge Caravan), $99 a pair from Ebay (Brad has the same seats for his Argosy and I have bought the same seats for Peanut. These seats recline and fold flat so are very flexible. I had some adapter plates made to allow the seats to fit the bases which included the additional 2", Brad made flat plates for Peanut (which has the original seat mounts, and has 6 way (back/front, up/down, tip forward/tip back) motorized mounts for his Argosy.

The steering wheel is actually a race wheel made to NASCAR standard (a Grant Racing Performance Series Steel Steering Wheel GST-677) and a race car quick disconnect (Grant GRT-3011 for Chevy steering columns). The disconnect attaches in place of the original wheel boss and then there is a sprung pin to lock the wheel on the splined disconnect....takes less than 10secs to remove the wheel.

I already had a column mounted horn button, you can get a regular center horn button but that means you have to disconnect the horn wire as well.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Thumbs up Brilliant!

Thanks so much Martin, that is brilliant. I will read the thread, too.

We are in the process of deciding how far to go with this reno and if we go for it, we'll do a thread too.

So far we've just been stumbling along, barely using the coach, and doing what absolutely has to be done, like new transmission, new brakes.

Maybe we're nuts to nurse along a 30-year-old motor vehicle, but then we're in good company!
Old 09-10-2016, 12:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
My '84 280 Turbo Diesel came with factory installed swivel bases. I simply bought new seats and bolted them on. The real chore was installing seat belts with shoulder restraints.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Shoulder Restraint Seat Belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
My '84 280 Turbo Diesel came with factory installed swivel bases. I simply bought new seats and bolted them on. The real chore was installing seat belts with shoulder restraints.
Hi Kent,

I've already purchased the one-size-fits-all 3 point seatbelts. My question is, did you use a specific spot to mount the upper section? Rivet on a baseplate? Interested to hear your input.

Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Question Where to mount the seatbelt

Hey, yes, Chaplain Kent, me too! We were trying to figure out how that could possibly work.

I suspect there is some important engineering involved. Dare I ask?

It seems silly to worry because anything is probably an improvement on the lap belts these rigs came with. But I'd like the seatbelts to work.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:56 PM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Ummm, I don't know what all seats you guys have, but both of my fronts seats do swivel around to face the rear of the coach. The drivers side does take a bit of messing around with, as you have to first raise the steering wheel to horizontal, lower arm rest and tilt the seat back to full upright BEFORE attempting to swivel it. The passenger side is a lot easier.

I thought all AS moho's had swivel front seats????

PS I actually built a collapsible bed that nests together and fits along side the driver seat for my youngest. The bed is 24" wide at the top and middle, 18" for leg and feet, by almost 70" long. It uses SOSS hinges for the three pieces that make up the bed and velco makes sure everything stays together and doesn't rattle around.

You know I'm anal about weight when I router out as much of the plywood as I could get away with on all three pieces, and cut big round holes out of the legs.

Cheers
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04240.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	271409   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04242.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	271410  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04244.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	271411   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04245.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	271412  

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #12
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Sorry, it timed out on me before I could fix "velcro" and add, my doghouse stays put; I don't have to raise it.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 09-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Talking OMG! The seats turn!

Thank you so much Isuzusweet! We didn't know they did that!

When we first tried to turn them, we didn't see a control for it and they hit the doghouse so we figured it was not to be.

But emboldened by your news, we adjusted and jerked and got the passenger one to do it.

We haven't tried the driver's seat yet. I suspect it can't recline much because of the steering wheel, but these developments completely change our plans for the interior.

Thanks!

I'm such a knucklehead sometimes. Well, maybe more than sometimes.

Jenniflow
Old 09-11-2016, 05:26 AM   #14
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
[QUOTE=Jenniflow;1849023)

We haven't tried the driver's seat yet. I suspect it can't recline much because of the steering wheel, but these developments completely change our plans for the interior.

Thanks!

I'm such a knucklehead sometimes. Well, maybe more than sometimes.

Jenniflow[/QUOTE]

Yes the seat won't be able to recline once turned due the steering wheel, unless you get a removable steering wheel........which would be one more thing I'd worry about going down the road.

You'll get it.

Be proud to be a knucklehead; I'm vice president of my chapter of knuckleheads.

Cheers
Tony

Old 09-11-2016, 05:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Hmmm...removable steering wheel ???? I'll leave that one for the Nascar guys....It would just be my luck that going down the road.....never mind ! enough said, Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I have the factory seats still, the drivers side wont swivel to face the lounge area. Cant get it past the steering wheel.

Tony, did you install those newer seats or did they come with the coach? New seats are on my list and Im undecided on whether to have my seats rebuilt (foam n fabric) or to buy new. Pros n cons to both ways and I dont think there is that much cost difference.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Wink Proud to be a knucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Be proud to be a knucklehead; I'm vice president of my chapter of knuckleheads.
y
Just between you and me, Tony, I am soon publishing the second in a series of books on how NOT to do things and the way I figure it is every step along the way is proof that it's all worth doing even if you are a knucklehead!

Thanks again!
Old 09-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #18
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I have the factory seats still, the drivers side wont swivel to face the lounge area. Cant get it past the steering wheel.

Tony, did you install those newer seats or did they come with the coach? New seats are on my list and Im undecided on whether to have my seats rebuilt (foam n fabric) or to buy new. Pros n cons to both ways and I dont think there is that much cost difference.
Mike, as far as I know they are the original Feather-whatever seats.......like I said, push seat all the way back, raise steering wheel, set up seat back to full up right, lower left arm rest and then swivel...

Cheers
Tony

PS Just between you and me Jenni (I think I sound like Forest), I love knuckleheads as they have character and spunk.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:53 AM   #19
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Come to think of it Mike, there is a difference between your coach and mine in this area....I don't have the side panels, as I have column transmission control and a PO took them out; where as you have the Allison on the side panel. I'd imagine with the side panels it would be almost impossible to get the drivers turned.

Sorry mate, but that whole NA NA ,NA NA I have an Allison; you knew that was going to bite you in the a$$ eventually.

Cheers
Tony

Old 09-12-2016, 05:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Dang it!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote