Old 06-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Survival Kit

I've been right in the middle of the Colorado fires. A few days ago we were put on evacuation notice. I went over to storage and brought the MoHo Ho. Filled the water tank and got it ready for a trip to some campground if we had to evacuate.

It got me to thinking. I should have this thing ready to go from storage at all times. Stocked with everything except perishables. I now have one briefcase in the safe with all the important papers. Grab it, stop by a grocery store, and head to some campground.

Here are some pictures of what was going on in my back yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fire 044 (Large).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	162008   Click image for larger version

Name:	fire 061 (Large).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	162009  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fire 086 (Large).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	162010   Click image for larger version

Name:	fire 093 (Large).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	162011  

Old 06-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Don't forget your .45.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have the same feeling. I keep mine ready to go exept for the perishables. Hurricane season keeps us on our toes down here on the gulf coast.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Well...mine doesn't roll too far at the moment. But that doesn't stop us from having a variety of plans in place. Everything from "shelter in place" to bug out on short notice. Having an RV ready to roll can be a huge plus IMHO. It gives you an advantage that a large percentage of the public doesn't have. Just having a plan with options puts you in the top 10%.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
We full-time, the coach is always prepared with fuel, propane, beer, etc. Since we spend a lot of time in fire-prone areas, we've agreed to pull out at a moments notice. If that means tearing the power, water, waste and t.v. hoses/cables off, so be it.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
Don't forget your .45.
minus .01!
Old 06-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
We had a bit of a block party the first night watching the flames come over the ridge as everyone was packing their cars and pointing them out the driveway. They all thought the AS was really cool but my emergency beer and wine stash didn't last very long.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
We had a bit of a block party the first night watching the flames come over the ridge as everyone was packing their cars and pointing them out the driveway. They all thought the AS was really cool but my emergency beer and wine stash didn't last very long.
Need to up the stash level...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
We also have an emergency plan which revolves around the M/H.
Earthquakes being the main concern here, although this area we live in was evacuated in 2007 during a wildfire.
We have told the kids, in the event of a emergency, we meet here, at our home.
We have a portable genset, but the Motorhome will be brought here too, as we pool resources and plan what would be an appropriate next step.
In the event of a large quake, I would happier to be in the MH sleeping during the aftershocks!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I added a hard-mount for a .50 near my Fantastic Fan, so I can just kick it out and then lay waste to the zombie hordes when they attack. I also took out all my pink insulation and replaced it with activated charcoal filters, and replaced the inner shell with led panels instead of aluminum.

I also reversed the curve on my roof so I can collect rain water. Wait a sec... no... Airstream reversed the curve on my roof so I can collect rainwater through the vent holes... I always get that one mixed up.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I have the same feeling. I keep mine ready to go exept for the perishables. Hurricane season keeps us on our toes down here on the gulf coast.
Ditto. From 1 June to 30 November each year, my Interstate will always be parked with a full tank of diesel, full freshwater tank, empty blackwater and graywater tanks, at least mostly full propane tank, a week's worth of clothing in the wardrobe closet, a week's worth of canned food, bedding, towels, toiletries, basic toolkit, copies of my prescriptions (including my eyeglasses prescription), a roll of quarters and a tupperware container of detergent for laundry, traveller's checks for emergency spending money when the power is out to all the ATMs… I'm sure I'll think of more as time goes on.

Plus, while I can't leave it installed all the time due to the size of my Interstate vs. the size of its parking spot, I've also got a hitch-mount cargo tray so I can carry spare 5-gallon cans of diesel without putting them inside. For Katrina, anybody stuck in the contraflow lanes was unable to exit to get fuel, and a lot of folks were stranded because of it. I want to make very sure I'm not one of them, ever.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Great Thread Dakota!
Lets keep it going by making posting things we all should have either in the M/H or grab ready for exactly such emergencies!

Canned foods are great, and I have some, but I also like having dried food on hand too, like noodles, potato etc...
Dont forget Pet food and medical supplied if needed.

Maybe we could break the lists down into groups like:

Food, First Aid, etc and everyone can add what they think to their own personal list?
Old 07-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Canned foods are great, and I have some, but I also like having dried food on hand too, like noodles, potato etc...
I don't keep them stocked in My Airstream all the time. Cans are impervious to ants, mice, roaches, and other vermin. Other packaging isn't necessarily as sturdy. Hurricane season is 6 months long, and my stockpile may be there for all six months if we don't get a storm.

Quote:
Dont forget Pet food and medical supplied if needed.
I don't have any pets. No houseplants, even. Pets supplies and pet meds aren't omitted because of forgetfulness, but rather lack of need.

Quote:
Maybe we could break the lists down into groups like:

Food, First Aid, etc and everyone can add what they think to their own personal list?
Actually, there is no one-size-fits-all list. First, what disasters are you preparing for? Forest fires? Earthquakes? Hurricanes? Tornadoes? Dust storms? Droughts? Floods? Blizzards? Urban riots? Zombie attacks? Visiting in-laws?

Second, is your strategy to get out of Dodge? Or to hunker down and ride it out?

In my particular case, I'm preparing for a hurricane. My strategy is, for Cat 2 or less, ride it out. My Airstream is stocked with a week's worth of necessities because as soon as municipal power goes out and the storm has passed, I'm moving into my Airstream and dry-camping right there at home (or possibly at work; I'm Corps of Engineers) until power, water, and sewer service are restored to my apartment. For Cat 3 or higher, I bug out, to my parents' house in Oklahoma, and all I need is enough travel supplies to get me away when every service station and store along the evacuation routes is sold out of everything important.

I need a lot less gear to evacuate than I do to ride out a storm.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I now have one briefcase in the safe with all the important papers.
I really like this idea. Even for normal trips. I find myself always gathering certain papers and things each time we go. Why not keep them always together, even at home? I think I will work on this! Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your fire troubles though. Looks wicked. Good luck to you.