Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2014, 03:53 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
They looked ok Tony. Talked with John at Supersteer yesterday (the guy in the installation vid). He said that i most likely wouldnt be able to see any play in the originals wiggling them by hand, only under load. We'll see, hope it improves handling some. The worst part of its handling right now is correction as a semi passes. Too much play
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Installed. If I drank.....I would be drinking......now....WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY COMPRESSOR!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2014, 05:45 PM   #23
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Mike

The Airstream gods are pissed and just messing with you now. A ritual sacrifice must be made to appease them.

If no virgins available in your area a ritual burning of three SOB trailers in your immediate area will suffice. That should do it.....at least it worked for me.

If you're in the market for a great compressor with fantastic quality and made for harsh climates ARB make the very best in the world. I have their twin cylinder job that can be used for air tools. Pricy, but definitely worth every penny. Seriously, my compressor will probably out last my coach.

http://store.arbusa.com/Compressors-C9.aspx

Cheers
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Youre killin me here Tony, literally laughing out loud! Geeeez, took it out for a little test run once i got cleaned up and no friggin compressor. My back was screaming at me so I had to stop for the day. Could just be a blown fuse RIGHT? OR MAYBE JUST A BAD GROUND RIGHT? Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggggg......
Ill get to it in the next couple days, we have one more trip left for the season so i need to find out whats going on.

Bell cranks went in without serious heavy drinking or drug use, wait a minute, need to pop another xanax.....ok thats better.....now as i was saying, they went in with some luck. For diesel owners who want to install these, the motor mount on the passenger side is a B---- to work around. The bottom rear bolt/nut actually is completely blind, and requires 3 Hail Marys and 1 Our Father to get the nut started. Other than that one, the rest werent too bad. I have an inexpensive little air ratchet that made the job a lot easier once i broke the nuts loose by hand. Didnt get it out on the highway, just around town a bit, so yet to see if they help much. At least one less thing out of the equation. But dog gone it.........back at it tomorrow i guess, figure out whats up with that compressor.

I must seek out the appropriate sacrificial offering.....tonight...before its too late
Old 10-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
The Airstream Gods smiled upon me, it WAS just a rusty ground on the compressor.
Im sure that I will be punished for my good fortune.

Mike
Old 11-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Ok, we got to do about 7hrs on the road this weekend and put the new bell cranks to the test......i gotta say they really really helped the steering on the 310. The biggest test for me was when there was semis passing in the left lane and when entering and exiting overpasses. Before i installed them I was always keeping my eye on there rear view to anticipate the pushing and pulling of passing semi trucks. It was not enjoyable to say the least.....With the new bell cranks I barely notice the air forces of the passing trucks...seriously...Im not blowin smoke here. It was pretty amazing the improvement they made. I really didnt think that they, by themselves, would do so much to improve the handling. Sooooooo, Im happy...yeehaw...money and time well spent...lucky...waiting for whats next to bite the oh well..you guys know
Old 11-23-2014, 04:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
The amount of money for new bell cranks and steering stabilizer is well worth it! Glad it made a difference!!
Old 11-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I was pretty suprised Dave. We were rolling down the interstate yacking away and frankly I wasnt even thinking about having installed those bell cranks....space head.
A semi truck passed us and the thought hit me...whoa, he just passed and I hardly felt it, didnt have to correct much. Before, I would really have to. So Ive installed new shocks, air bags, stabilzer, and now those bell cranks. Still need to have the ball joints looked at and get an allignment. Feels much better though.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I was pretty suprised Dave. We were rolling down the interstate yacking away and frankly I wasnt even thinking about having installed those bell cranks....space head.
A semi truck passed us and the thought hit me...whoa, he just passed and I hardly felt it, didnt have to correct much. Before, I would really have to. So Ive installed new shocks, air bags, stabilzer, and now those bell cranks. Still need to have the ball joints looked at and get an allignment. Feels much better though.
Glad to hear it! I need to get mine into the shop and get it aligned as well. Doesn't pull at all but want to do it as a preventative measure.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
I replaced both of my bell cranks with the supersteer ones and it made a difference but I still had a little play in the steering. There is a back lash adjustment on the side of the steering box and when I adjusted that all the play went away. The Moho drives like a new mini-van now. That is until you look in the rear view mirror and see that the rear window is 35 feet behind you.
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Yep, and i did make some adjustment at the steering gear box, but not much. One thing i did not mention, after installation, it changed the steering wheel center position. Ill have that corrected with the allignment. This is apperently a common occurrence. Not sure i understand why, but from reading many many posts on several different RV forums, it is mentioned quite often. So far so good though as far as performance is concerned.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by t7389sg View Post
..... The Moho drives like a new mini-van now. That is until you look in the rear view mirror and see that the rear window is 35 feet behind you.