Old 11-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
D. Burner Ignites But Shuts Off:
1. Check to be certain that flame sensor is over slots in the main burner and that the main burner flame is burning against the tip of the flame sensor - adjust by bending the sensor probe. NOTE: Sensor probe should be in the inner blue cone of the burner flame, approximately 1/4" to 5/16" above the burner.
2. If the burner still goes off and into lockout, check the wire connections at the flame sensor and the module board.
3. If wire connections are okay, check for continuity through the flame sensor wire.
4. If the continuity of the flame sensor wire is okay, check with microamp meter in
series with the flame sensor and flame sensor wire to be certain the flame sensor is generating at least seven microamps within seven seconds after the burner is ignited. Connect the meter as follows: (+) to sensor wire, (-) to sensor probe. Adjust the position of the sensor probe, check air adjustment and check for carbon deposits on the sensor probe if the reading is less than seven microamps.
5. When the flame sensor circuit is generating at least seven microamps, but the burner still goes off and into lockout, replace the module board.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Well i pulled the igniter/burner assembly out and adjusted, i can see that it is in the flame during the few seconds that it ignites..........then flame out. DOG GONE IT!
So i guess i need to pull the innards out of the housing and start checking for loose wires at the second coil on the gas valve, and everywhere else inside. Brand spankin new......im stumped. Nice blue flame for a few seconds. Any other ideas out there, as far as i know Suburban doesnt offer tech support.(cya i suppose). Is there something simple that I am missing?
Tony, if you read this, would another sacrificial offering to the Airstream Gods be appropriate here, Im not giving up my dog.....

Old 11-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I got the furnace to work properly but i dont understand why this worked and i wish someone could explain it. I hadnt really factored in the thermostat since it is a simple heat only device. Once it had called for heat its job was done in the ignition sequence in my mind. It was calling for heat and the furnace was responding by starting ignition, but it would get to the last step in the sequence and it would fail....repeatedly. Even though i didnt think it would make a difference i went ahead and by-passed the thermostat at the furnace (tied the two blue thermostat wires together at the furnace pig tail) and it fired right up the very first time.......i am pretty weak in my knowledge of HVAC i realize but i sure dont understand why this made a difference in the final step in the ignition sequence.... but it sure did. I let it run for a bit then disconnected the two furnace thermostat wires, reconnected them to the thermostat and now its working.?????? Hmmmmmmmmm, i dont get it. Im putting everything back together and will run it through more cycles to test. I hope there is a HVAC person or SOMEONE could explain why bypassing the tstat made a difference and then now its running WITH the tstat......
Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Maybe the connections at the thermostat were a bit loose or dirty and the thermostat was not allowing enough current to flow through the controls in the furnace. Very weird, but glad you found it...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #19
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Tony, if you read this, would another sacrificial offering to the Airstream Gods be appropriate here, Im not giving up my dog.....
Seriously you thought I was shitting you about those nasty Airstream Gods. This is how they play with you, get you all worked up and then just when you're ready to go postal .......they let it work . It doesn't have to make sense why it works now, it just does and you learn to move on.
I hope you have learnt your lesson and will be shifty and learn to whistle like me.

So no virgins in Champaign Illinois eh.....hope there's lots of SOB's around. One trick I found works if torching SOB's gets too hot for you is to apply decals spelling AIRSTREAM to the SOB's trailer. This seems to divert the Gods attention for a spell, (wouldn't want to be in their shoes, imitating an Airstream )

Cheers
Tony
Old 11-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks rmkrum, i was getting pretty stumped. I guess sometimes its better not to question if the outcome is what you desire. MAGIC is what it was and Ill leave it at that.
I do wonder though if the lockout function had something to do with it. Dont know what but something.......anyway its toasty warm and we are headed north towards Chicago for our last trip of the season next weekend, HOPEFULLY its good to go.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Ur killin me here Tony.........