Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #16
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Checklists are only as good as the pilot using them. I for one will admit to going through the checklist and having the big fan turning up front. When I release the brake nothing happened. A little more power, ...wonder if the brakes are stuck?..... then as I popped up over the chocks I knew what I had forgotten. At least I had remembered to untie the little C150
Not as bad as forgetting to remove the gust locks from the elevators. Can be FATAL! WHOOPS! Or forgetting to untie the blades on a turbine Helicoptor. Full idle rpms and the blades aren't moving. Very embaressing.

I made up a check list which I hang from the rear view mirror in the motorhome. My wife was upset with the last item "Check wife and dog on board". Didn't like being listed with the dog I guess.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
My wife was upset with the last item "Check wife and dog on board". Didn't like being listed with the dog I guess.
you did point out that she was before the dog?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #18
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Didn't seem to matter. Women, how can you tell what little thing will upset them?

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Update

I can (just) see that my predicament has provided the required amusement for all. A comment or two:

Although I prefer to think think I am not a complete dufus, I am unsure that a checklist would have made any difference. I walked completely around the vehicle, checking for loose hatches and doors, tie downs on the cargo carrier in the rear hitch, etc. What I failed to LISTEN FOR was the motor retracting the steps when I closed the door. Period. The only other thing I could have done was to adjust the shotgun side mirror to actually see if the steps were retracted once I got into the driver's seat, since the switch leaving the steps down was activated--ie., the steps were down, regardless of whether or not the door was closed. There is no warniing light if the switch is activated.

I was hot and tired. Fatigue will cause most failures.

I have managed, through too much effort, monkey wrenches, come-alongs, and big cheaters, etc. to get the steps to retract manually, although I don't think they will ever be pretty again without application of fire, anvil, and hammer. A family conference has determined that new steps should be purchased for safety and reliability. Suggestions as to a source, and reasonable price??

Best to all,

R
Old 09-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking
Lest y'all feel bad ...
Some time ago I had to back out of a wooded parking place. Taking up the approved position (head out window, neck twisted around to see backwards) I backed up ... not seeing the open bathroom window and extended driver side awning. Needless to say, they encountered a tree trunk almost immediately, with awesome consequences. Moral: Murphy is most definitely alive and well.
Empathetically,
Jamie
This reminded me of a time several years ago when I was helping a friend with his hot dog truck at an event on the lake front in Milwaukee. After we were all done and had cleaned up I drove the hot dog truck back to his house. It was not until I was carefully backing it into his driveway that I realized the awning was still extended and the lights remained flashing all around. I drove through the city in this fashion. There were quite a few people waving at me and I thought it was just because I was driving the hot dog truck.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Kwikee steps

we had the vacuum steps which retract when the ignition is turned on. we replaced them with a 2 step kwikee electric step hoping to make it easier for our basset with bad acl's to get in---------BUT they are still to high for her to take the first step. the kwikee has a switch to lock the stairs in the down position but no matter what position the switch is they always retract when the key is turned. to do it again we would go with the 3 or 4 step kwikee step.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
The eastern swamps , North Carolina
As we have two Salukis the 2 step kwikee steps on the 345 are adequately high. But, that evil flower bed at the bottom of our driveway did grab our steps and crack the transmission housing on the step motor. So should I replace the motor and activator/transmission, or buy a new set of steps? Would the 345 use a type 40 step?
By way of consolation Ralley rest assured there are still plenty of step killing entities out there. Sigh......
Old 10-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Other than stump removal, the steps probably should be replaced...I would expect that replacement would be just about as cheap as replacement parts, and there should be a warranty(ok, ok...maybe not covered under stump removal)...don't know about the type 40 step, but I would suspect that most dealers carry Kwikee replacements...just don't tell them it's for an Airstream...that will cost you 3 days for the call to Jackson, and more money because it's an Airstream...I still have the original steps, but besides the stump removal, I did a little sidewalk renovation...I'm getting pretty good with the single-jack sledge and the anvil...may have a problem with the humility, but I can sleep overnight and forget it...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #24
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Seems we all need a reminder for different things. I have met many a motorhome or trailer going down the road with the TV antenna swinging in the gale force winds.
Just so that does not happen to me, I tie a piece of surveyers ribbon on the steering wheel. It always becomes interesting when two people are checking and something gets missed. I know "it's never my fault" but being the nice guy I am I always get to pay the bill!!!!

Good Luck
Dave
Old 10-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Not the money, just the aquirement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Seems we all need a reminder for different things. I have met many a motorhome or trailer going down the road with the TV antenna swinging in the gale force winds.
Just so that does not happen to me, I tie a piece of surveyers ribbon on the steering wheel. It always becomes interesting when two people are checking and something gets missed. I know "it's never my fault" but being the nice guy I am I always get to pay the bill!!!!

Good Luck
Dave
If I smiled really big, would you pay my bills???...btw, my antenna doesn't swing in the wind,it just doesn't work
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #26
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
I gave up on the steps and acquired the portable step they use for Amtrak trains. It is very stout, very stable, and looks very nice with the new silver paint.

Tom

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #27
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Steps, Tears, Smoke, No Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
If I smiled really big, would you pay my bills???...btw, my antenna doesn't swing in the wind,it just doesn't work
Let me point out again how easy this works. On the last trip out the "better half" was sitting on the step having a smoke and scratching some lotto tickets when I finished putting the picnic table away in the drivers side compartment. I asked her to go inside and fire up the engine while I checked to make sure the legs went up.
Naturally, when she started the engine the steps retracted. (See, mine work good!) After we were underway she asked me what I did with her electronic ash tray?????? Did I bring it in from the step?????
Long story short.
I had to buy her a new one and admit it was all my fault!!!!!
See what a nice guy I am?

Dave
Old 10-12-2010, 06:35 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Speedway , Indiana
Smile

If you are going to replace your steps, I found that PPL in Houston has great prices. The only problem I had was PPL shipped my Quikee steps in the box they come in. The box is not a very good shipping box. My first set were damaged, so they sent me a second set. Just cost me some extra time.
Replacing the steps is not really too difficult.
Good luck, Rob