Old 11-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Southwest US and California coast

Team,

Just finished a very successful business trip and going on an epic road trip with the family. Plan to hit SW US and California coast for a month. Any recommendations along the way?

Old 11-06-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
You can easily spend 3 months exploring the SW and California. Obviously Arches, Canyon lands, Mesa Verde, Zion, Canon de Chelly, Grand Canyon, Vegas, Red Rock State Park, LA, San Simeon, Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Redwoods SP, Patrick's Point SP, Prairie Creek SP, Jedediah Smith SP. Try to experience these places, not just stop and take photos. Immersion.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
Ahoy Vycan, great plan and time of year to be on the road.
I spent a couple of months this summer on the coast and had a great time.
Found it to be very booked up in most parks at peak season which had big impact on my trip. Should be much more open this time of year.
I' m back in the Prescott Az. area and happy to share some highlights of this area if you are coming this way.
Just did a day drive over to Verde Valley today, to visit the Montezuma's Castle N P. Very worth while. And near Sedona, also worth a visit.

Cheers Richard

Clift dwellings at Montezuma's castle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	551.3 KB
ID:	251731  
Old 11-06-2015, 11:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Are you heading out shortly? Weather may be a factor on your route choices.
Just had a early snow fall around Flagstaff at 7k feet ele. Very little here in chino Valley at 5k '
Here is a link to a thread of my summer trip on the coast, posted on my other favorite site , Pelican parts.
R Ving with 911 in tow - Pelican Parts Technical BBS. It a long one, just scroll thru the text.

My favorite part of Ca is central and northern coastal areas

And a pic from Jerome looking over the Verde Valley. Including my toad/911

After our spring get together in Colo. I realized how much having a toad along can add to a trip.

Cheers Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	82
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	251732  
Old 11-07-2015, 06:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Ksherzi, thanks for the list, hitting most of those!

Tevake, awesome feedback. We plan on staying south to avoid the snow, skirt to the north of LA and make our way along the coast to San Fransisco and then back again.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Couple of my favorites on the central coast are Morro Bay SP.
Nice park, low key picturesque harbor town. The drive to Big sur on the coast is great. If doing it only one way I prefer driving south as you can get to the view points easier and there are better pull outs on the sea side of the road.

If you can get into the harbor R V spaces in Santa Cruz. Its close to the boardwalk amusement park. Good fun for the kids and a nice flashback in time.
Established about a hundred years ago,me still has lots of original feel about it.

Lots of the coastal parks have pretty small size limits, this somewhat limits the choices for our sized rigs.

If you have time to wander a bit in route there are many state roads offering a nice alternitave to the interstates. If you are going thru Colo. Going to Salida
Then south 17 then 285 is a pretty, relaxing route on the west side of the Sangre De Christo range. I did find in the spring that lots of the parks in Colo were seasonal and may be closed this time of year.

Also route 60 in N M into Az. Is a good one. Check out The Very Large Array, and Pie town on your way to the Mogollon rim . Lots of choices.

Keep us up on your plans. I'm sure many others here will have suggestions for you.
Do plan to stay way north of L A. As the freeway traffic there is not kind to long rigs.

Cheers Richard
Old 11-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Kalamazoo , Michigan
I particularly enjoyed my time New Mexico. City of Rocks near Deming, White Sands National Monument near Alamogordo, Three Rivers Petroglyph site, Valley of Fire - those last two are BLM sites - then I got up to Taos, but I bet it's kind of cold up in the mountains right now.

Enjoy your travels!
Old 11-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
westlake village , California
jim

in California whether traveling north or south, stay on pacific coast highway (PCH),best scenic route and lots of popular cities on the route. stay away from central & inland highways, believe AAA offers a travel guide on coastal route. also if considering a side trip to las vegas, this time of the year the winds are very high & frequent accidents creating as much as 3 to 4 hour idling.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Here are some possibilities, depending on the snow line and how far north you plan to go:

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
Team,

Just finished a very successful business trip and going on an epic road trip with the family. Plan to hit SW US and California coast for a month. Any recommendations along the way?
for Big Sur #1 choice for coast side of HWY1 is Kirk Creek ... out of this world views of the Pacific Ocean, # 2 almost opposite on the other side of HWYI is Plaskett Creek
be care with other campgrounds, some are very very cramped

Santa Cruz,try New Brighton

further north there are very few options, the Coastal Commission and other government agencies have made it near impossible for humans to stay over and enjoy the north coast.
between Santa Cruz & Half Moon Bay there is a nice RV campground called Costanoa and then in HMB there are a few RV options, but never seen them so can't comment or recommend.

have fun .. if you're feeling adventurous you can drive onto the beach at Pismo ! but depends on tides etc. Go to youtube and check out the action, it's wild.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1999 31' Land Yacht
Kingston , Washington
I'm interested that many of you have driven Highway 1 with rather big rigs. I've been shy to try with our '99 Land Yacht 31', although have done it many times in a car. Great drive!
Old 11-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cruising the length of the west coast up to the Straights Of Juan De Fuca this summer highway 1 was a highlight of the trip, especially N Ca into the big redwood forest, beautiful rugged coast. Not a route to try to rush along.

Cheers Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	89
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	251759  
Old 11-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Kartchner Caverns in southern AZ.
City of Rocks SP, Oliver Lee SP, Valley of Fires Park, all in southern NM.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Santa Barbara , California
If you are going through Morro Bay you should check out Mantano de Oro state park. We just spent a few days there. It's a great park. No hookups but it's right on the ocean. I agree with nickclifford that Kirk Creek is a don't miss on the Central Coast.