Old 11-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Team,

Thanks for the enlightened responses. Without your feedback I would have had no idea where to go, as this is my first road trip to California.

It sounds like I should just enjoy the ride on the west coast for my month long trip, and forget everything else... :-D

Based on your feedback this is my general plan. Any thoughts on absolute musts to include?

1. Four Corners
2. Grand Canyon, AZ
3. Hoover Dam, NV
4. Mojave Air and Space port, CA
5. Pacific Coast Highway drive, CA (Moro Bay, Kirk Creek, Santa Cruz)
6. Big Sur, CA
7. Montery Bay Aquarium, CA
8. Golden Gate Bridge, CA
9. Alcatraz, CA
10. Redwood National State Parks, CA
11. Yosemite, CA (may cancel due to Wx)
12. Phoenix, AZ
13. Sierra Vista, AZ
14. Petrified Forest, AZ (may cancel due to time)
15. Roswell, NM
16. Carlsbad, NM

I envision spending a week on the California coast and utilizing the other stops as way points to get to and from there on a nice leisurely stroll. Then on the back side of the trip I will stop in TX to visit some family. If you live in these areas keep an eye out for Diesel Donna!

Old 11-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Towing and camping in SF is pretty tough. There's a nice RV Park in Marin County (Marin RV Park) just north of SF across the Golden Gate in a good neighborhood. I think the park is close to the Larkspur ferry that can take you into SF or possibly even to Alcatraz. Another fun thing to do is walk across the Golden Gate. Awesome on a clear day.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
Team,

Thanks for the enlightened responses. Without your feedback I would have had no idea where to go, as this is my first road trip to California.

It sounds like I should just enjoy the ride on the west coast for my month long trip, and forget everything else... :-D

Based on your feedback this is my general plan. Any thoughts on absolute musts to include?

1. Four Corners
2. Grand Canyon, AZ
3. Hoover Dam, NV
4. Mojave Air and Space port, CA
5. Pacific Coast Highway drive, CA (Moro Bay, Kirk Creek, Santa Cruz)
6. Big Sur, CA
7. Montery Bay Aquarium, CA
8. Golden Gate Bridge, CA
9. Alcatraz, CA
10. Redwood National State Parks, CA
11. Yosemite, CA (may cancel due to Wx)
12. Phoenix, AZ
13. Sierra Vista, AZ
14. Petrified Forest, AZ (may cancel due to time)
15. Roswell, NM
16. Carlsbad, NM

I envision spending a week on the California coast and utilizing the other stops as way points to get to and from there on a nice leisurely stroll. Then on the back side of the trip I will stop in TX to visit some family. If you live in these areas keep an eye out for Diesel Donna!

another killer place on the Big Sur Coast is TreeBones Resort, don't believe you can camp up there but it's worth asking. It's a Yurt campground, "glamping" in Yurts.... pool, Sushi Bar, killer views etc etc ... If you camp at Kirk Creek the drive is not too far.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
Redgranite , Wisconsin
How about lunch on fresh bread and fish at SF Fisherman's Warf? A vineyard tour? Too bad the seasons over or I'd suggest an A-league game north of Oakland. Best baseball I've ever seen.
If in LA: Gormans Chinese Theater-stars hands & feet in sidewalk, walk of stars, Rodeo and Mulholland drives, the HOLLYWOOD sign and bowl. If into cars: Peterson Automotive Museum. *Visit these during daylight hours!
Heading south of LA on PCH1: Ruby's on the pier for lunch. Seal beach. Coronado Island to see the historic hotel. Or Balboa Island-This has similar Canals to Venice beach area. You'll recognize it from several movies.
Then if in San Diego, not sure if the swallows will be there but the Mission San Juan Capistrano is interesting as is the San Diego Wild Life Park.
In fact, churches in and around the coast road have some of the best views and history in the state.
From the south head to Palm Springs or inland north to drive through Bakersfield - worlds biggest thermometer. After a quick stop at In&Out for a great burger head to Vegas, Redrock Canyon, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, then north to Kanab-Westerns were filmed in area, Moab, Arches....on second thought, your gonna need more than a month. I miss living in Vegas. These were all in a weekend drive. Not so from Wisconsin! Can't wait to retire! Have fun & don't try to "SEE" too much.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:53 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
One thing to add...in Big Sur be sure to stop at Nepenthe for a burger and margarita. Sunset if possible- the view and dining experience is hard to beat!
They would probably let you overnight in their lower parking lot if you had one to many.
Let me know when you are in San Francisco, and perhaps I could take my 94 Classic Diesel out and meet you for an overnight in Bodega Bay.

Sebastian
Old 11-13-2015, 10:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Hike your own hike

That's one of the philosophies of hikers on the Appalachian Trail. Go at your own pace and do what interests you. Your hike will be different from mine.

I think your plans are a little too ambitious. I have taken a dozen trips to the Four Corners area, and still have lots of places that I missed.

My advice ….Don't miss Utah. Monument Valley, Canyonlands, Bryce. The drive to those places is spectacular. Keep the stays in the city short. Leave time to explore. Be versatile with your plans. Research BLM lands, and learn about free camping and boondock a little
Old 11-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
+1 on Napenthe, in Big Sur. In-N-Out has a secret menu, and aside from really fresh food, it's the secret to their success. My choice is always for a double-double animal style. Secret menu explained here: Not So Secret Menu - In-N-Out Burger

Mike
Old 11-14-2015, 07:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
There truly is another side to Califorina. If you are wanting to make time heading up or down the state and don't want deal with interstate traffic on I 5

To the east of the sierras is high way 395. A nice lightly traveled route that runs thru the Owens valley, and offers a look at another side of Ca.

It can be accessed out the back of Yosemite valley wx allowing.

X3 on Napenthe restaurant great views! Can usually find parking on the roadside pullout adjacent for a pause.

Cheers Richard
Old 11-14-2015, 08:04 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Sounds like a wonderful trip Vycan. Good for you and heres hoping for a trouble free adventure!!!!!

Mike
Old 11-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Manhattan , Kansas
team,

thanks again for all the feedback. filling in the holes of our plan with details you are providing. Will do nepenthe!

not too ambitious for me. accustomed to a very high pace job, so this is slowing down
Old 11-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
Plan to hit SW US and California coast for a month. Any recommendations along the way?
Extreme El Nino weather in California is likely.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Which means that it will, in fact, rain more than usual in Southern California this winter. Some ski resorts are already getting snow and have opened ridiculously early this year.

Bottom line; be ready for rain and snow on your travels.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Manhattan , Kansas
Was hoping to avoid snow
Old 11-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
No problem missing the snow. On your way out or back you can go through the top side of LA or Mojave and Tehachapi, over 58 to SLO, and then up the coast. Highway 395 is one of my all time favorites, but you would probably run into snow heading over 80 from Tahoe. Long days in a Classic Diesel are no problem and low stress... I did 3250 miles in two weeks this past summer.