Old 11-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geophilist
Tim,

From the looks of that trailer, you are going to need a Tank to safely get it down the road. Is there a thread for tanks?

Steve
Yeh, look under "Towing a 370 if it breaks down on the highway".

AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:38 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
Yeh, look under "Towing a 370 if it breaks down on the highway".
Hey, I have something that would tow that trailer, send it down, and I'll give it a good home. I will hold it, and I will love it, and I will call it George...

Old 11-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Hey, I have something that would tow that trailer, send it down, and I'll give it a good home. I will hold it, and I will love it, and I will call it George...
Sure appreciate the generous offer, but Tim's Tank does a great job pulling the Silver Palace down the road. Actually weighs only 950 lbs more than the 30' trailer it will be replacing. Interested in the 30 footer? Same brand, perfect shape, and seriously a classic in its own right.
AIR # 5648
Old 11-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Sure appreciate the generous offer, but Tim's Tank does a great job pulling the Silver Palace down the road. Actually weighs only 950 lbs more than the 30' trailer it will be replacing. Interested in the 30 footer? Same brand, perfect shape, and seriously a classic in its own right.
That is an Avion, isn't it? The only thing I have against Avion is they are no longer made, eventually parts will be very hard to come by.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
That is an Avion, isn't it? The only thing I have against Avion is they are no longer made, eventually parts will be very hard to come by.
Terry,

What parts are those? Tried to find windows or tail lights for a 52 year old Airstream or priced vent covers?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Parts and Prices

Actually, there really aren't any particular problems with parts so far. "Standard" RV things were used extensively in their construction, so only the skin, frames, cabinetry, and sub-structure are 'unique'. Everything else can be gotten in lots of places. Fortunately, a company with relatives from the founders (back in the 1950s) bought all the dyes, etc. when Fleetwood closed the doors. One can have any repair to the coach, up to a complete makeover down to the frame, by going to this facility in MI. Obviously, things are going to happen as time passes, but certainly no more so than for any vintage trailer - thankfully.
AIR # 5648
Old 11-02-2006, 11:51 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Jeez, Tim, you are buying and selling so many vehicles, you will probably have to get a lisence!

Steve
Old 11-02-2006, 11:56 AM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Terry,

What parts are those? Tried to find windows or tail lights for a 52 year old Airstream or priced vent covers?

Bill
I usually just look in my garage...
Old 11-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geophilist
Jeez, Tim, you are buying and selling so many vehicles, you will probably have to get a lisence!

Steve
Actually, Steve, I've greatly reduced the wheeled vehicles in my back yard. I'm down to one trailer (admittedly there's another in at a friend's in storage, but I'll get that over here in about a week so I can put it up for sale). So, that will leave me with the least RVs in about 3 years. Other than Tim's Tank (garaged) and our daily cars (one for me from my in-laws, and one for the bread-winner wife). I may need a license as a seller, but not a buyer! By the way, I've renamed the 35' palace the Grey Palace, since it's not really silver.

Finally, I think this Forum should adopt all of the Avion folks into this group. We share the same love of excellence in RVs, aluminum construction, and besides, we're orphaned and need some "parents".
AIR # 5648
Old 11-04-2006, 07:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Quote:
Finally, I think this Forum should adopt all of the Avion folks into this group. We share the same love of excellence in RVs, aluminum construction, and besides, we're orphaned and need some "parents".
Oh, Tim! You make me laugh! If we adopt Avion's what would we call the forums.... Airstream Forums and the wannabees? AS Forums and the Imitators? Now don't just get all steamed up sir. We love all things aluminum. Personally I like the look of the square aluminum units.
Squarestreams and Squavions??
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:34 AM   #25
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
I'm down to one trailer (admittedly there's another in at a friend's in storage, but I'll get that over here in about a week so I can put it up for sale).
Tim, what is it, and how much do you want for it? I'll start the bidding at $1...
Old 11-04-2006, 09:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Airsteams and Avions

Glen and Terry,

First, Avions are not 'square'. In fact the 'wide body' Airstreams look very much like them, and I've actually been fooled on the highway at times because the shapes are so similar. Maybe Airstream was a 'wannabe' when the started the wide-bodies. If Thor drops the Airtream line, like Fleetwood did to Avion, we're going to need to band together to survive. May as well join together now. Don't abandon me now, Glen. I may need you again to defend my 'honor' like with the GV install...

Terry,

It's a 1883 30' Avion I bought 14 years ago. I've had it stored inside at a friend's since I got the Blimp. Next week I'm going to get it back over my place and make sure it's in the same shape I had it in before. I've periodically checked on it since it's been away, and everything looks perfect. (Already had an offer from Texas of $8,500 sight unseen, if I'll met the buyer halfway between Tidewater VA and Texas, but I have no idea where 'halfway' to Texas is! ) I'll be asking somewhere around $9,000, but would settle for $8,500. I'm planning to post it on this Forum under "Other vintage". In fact, that's where I located the "new" Gray Palace. I'll put up pics and a complete description, but if anyone is interested just PM me or email, and I'll be glad to go into further detail.

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 11-05-2006, 07:06 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Well guys it looks like we've highjacked another thread. Tim, I found a new trailer for you, "I see a great future and a second income in your future." Check out this beauty that popped up on eBay last night.
I can't figure out how it's in such nice shape when the TV looks to be run hard and put away wet.
Long haul to pick it up unfortunetly.
ebay item number 230047438209.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roma.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	28146  
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:20 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Glen,

Now that's what I'd call a "Square Stream"! Makes the Avion look like a boat hull in comparison. Thanks for the suggestion about a second income, but I've got my hands full just rearranging traffic in my backyard to move these units in and out. Now that I'm down to 2 trailers (soon to be just one), I don't plan on going back into the buying and selling business anytime soon. Maybe Steve in Norfolk would like to take this up. I think he's looking for something to do in his spare time. If he reads this, I'm sure to get an email with his usual humorous sarcasm.

AIR # 5648