Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Richard,

That looks awesome! Why would you give that up to motor around on land?
Old 03-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Thanks Vycan, I guess it was time for something different. Had tevake for 14 years and lots of miles/ adventures. Before Tevake was a 25' engine less wooden monohull for 17 years. Over ten years living aboard plus working as a small boat charter skipper. And surfing or windsurfing as much as possible. I guess I got my fill of it.

It is funny finding myself in AZ now, but Mom is nearby in a care home, and it's a good time to be here.

Any way keeping Tevake fit and travel worthy makes vintage motorhome maintenance / repairs seem quite reasonable by comparison.

RV ing is a whole new world for me too.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Sorry for the hijack Belle. Now back to the op.

I would like to see the brackets used to mount rigid panels without having to use fasteners to secure them to the roof.

I have faith in some modern adhesives but realize the contact faces are important in allowing the adhesive a good chance to work successfully.
So a well shaped foot of a bracket to fit the curve of the roof seems called for.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Sorry for the hijack Belle. Now back to the op.

I would like to see the brackets used to mount rigid panels without having to use fasteners to secure them to the roof.

I have faith in some modern adhesives but realize the contact faces are important in allowing the adhesive a good chance to work successfully.
So a well shaped foot of a bracket to fit the curve of the roof seems called for.

Cheers Richard
Richard
I have some pics of my install in my thread " Count down to kickoff". Look at post 144 and follow to 158. I don't have any pics posted with the awning installed but, they are almost completely hidden behind the awning.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I have special feet made specifically for use on Airstream trailers. The foot pad is segmented which allows for slight bending of the foot base to match the contour of the roof. This allows for greater contact and better adhesion of the VHB tape.

I'll post a couple of shots tomorrow when I'm back at the shop.

I also double up the feet on the forward edge of the panels for increased contact area and adhesion. Have never lost a panel!!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I used AM solar's feet with 3m VHB tape. The contour on the roof was not enough to matter with the vhb tape covered in silkalex. It is about 3/16" thick, and when pressed onto the roof it maintains its hold.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #27

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Something to release these adhesives

A thought came to my mind, is there any thing that will release these adhesives in case a footing breaks or in case of mounting a flexible panel?

Thank you,

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
There is no solvent for SikaFlex 221 once cured. It mist be removed by mechanical means. 3M-VHB tape can be removed with alcohol and a plastic scraper. Check AM Solar's video on panel foot removal.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Heat will help with VHB tape, but be careful if you are using the alcohol method.
I prefer a oil based solvent like WD40 with the a plastic bondo spreader after applying heat to the fitting. Pushing the solvent under the tape with the tool will eventually get the tape to let go.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
I used AM solar's feet with 3m VHB tape. The contour on the roof was not enough to matter with the vhb tape covered in silkalex. It is about 3/16" thick, and when pressed onto the roof it maintains its hold.
I found it unnecessary to be concerned with the slight curve as well. But those with ducted air may have a greater radius to contend with. Also, I believe narrow bodies have more to worry about.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote