Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Snyder universal kit in 345?

Hello,
We have an '89 345 with a Dometic RM 3801, The fridge used to get really cold on propane, but this year during warm weather, we began to find the temp at upper 40's to mid-50's. The freezer continued to keep ice frozen, but ice cream would be soft. While parked and on landline 110, the unit would work fine, even in warm weather, as long as we were relatively level. The gas orifice is clean, the flame is blue and hearty, and there is no visible obstruction to the vent. The fiberglass has not fallen down. We are considering having a Snyder universal cooling kit put in, and I thought I would first ask if anyone else out there has had that done and, if so, what results they got. My long-winded preface was to try to let you know that I checked all other probable sources for failure, and have pretty much concluded that it just won't work well on propane in hot weather, a not uncommon happenstance, but one that doesn't allow for much travel without supplemental dry ice. Thanks-..........mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Before you do that, have you tried "burping" the unit?

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2
Hello,SNIP
My long-winded preface was to try to let you know that I checked all other probable sources for failure, and have pretty much concluded that it just won't work well on propane in hot weather, a not uncommon happenstance, but one that doesn't allow for much travel without supplemental dry ice. Thanks-..........mike
SNIP/SNIP
We are considering having a Snyder universal cooling kit put in, and I thought I would first ask if anyone else out there has had that done and, if so, what results they got (QUOTE)

Frederic,
Thanks for the suggestion. Since burpimg the fridge will require removal, as will the installation of a Snyder kit, I was hoping to talk to someone who has tried the Snyder kit in a 345, so I can get their input. If the fridge is coming out, I would rather go ahead and do the options that are good WHILE it is out...we intent to spend more boondocking time in southern climes.
mike
Old 08-27-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
SNIP/SNIP
We are considering having a Snyder universal cooling kit put in, and I thought I would first ask if anyone else out there has had that done and, if so, what results they got (QUOTE)

Frederic,
Thanks for the suggestion. Since burpimg the fridge will require removal, as will the installation of a Snyder kit, I was hoping to talk to someone who has tried the Snyder kit in a 345, so I can get their input. If the fridge is coming out, I would rather go ahead and do the options that are good WHILE it is out...we intent to spend more boondocking time in southern climes.
mike
Mike,

I've installed the Snyder's kit in 5 units, including my 19CCD. Some were SOB's. In every case, the increased air flow and the concentration of the flow by the plenum have made a significant difference in the operation of the fridges in question.

That said, while you have the unit removed, I would 'burb' it just for the effect. Read the thread that details the burping process that I did with klevan and Ken J (at Ken J's suggestion) while in Albuquerque in June. While not a fan of the burbing process, klevan's fridge DID perform to spec after the process when it was following the pattern that you described with yours.

Another thing I would do while it is out is remove the spiral baffle and clean it as well as swabbing the chimney tube. These procedures will also enhance the performance of your fridge if they haven't been done in a while.

As they say in NYC.....'try it.....you'll LIKE it!'
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Since the fridge works on elec and not so well on gas, I would suggest a problem with the gas side. RJ Dial has information on checking out the non working heat source on his site here: Frequently Asked Questions

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i installed one of snyder's kits and it works as advertised.

i also did this http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...cks-34859.html

gotta keep the beer cold!

john
Old 08-28-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Thanks to all for the input...I would still like to hear from anyone that has installed a Snyder kit...the question is: if you have had one installed, what is your take on it, especially if you own a 345 MH. I have asked a licensed RV MD to do the work for us, and am awaiting reply. I would still like to hear from folks who have done this. John, thanks for the input. Bill, thanks for the FAQ site. Lew, I hope you can answer in the positive, but will understand the avoidance of the busman's holiday.
This animated library is a wonderful thing...I hope I can contribute a quarter of what I have gotten, one day or even once...Thanks to all...send me yer snailmail address, and I'll try to send each of you a 'trademark' flamingoette for your help...not much, but from the soul of an aluminoholic with opportunistic infections(such as flamingoitis, pink strain; pot-luck ingestivitis, generic, american; aluminopsychosis(undifferentiated) in all things airstreamic or bauxhitic, and a simple need to rid of the pink house of overgrowing overstock of all things aluminoflamingoically indigenous to the lifestyle recvehicus anywhericus, subphyllum anytimicus/anywhericus....consider them the pink cockroach of the aluminum generations, but with internal(for the most part) controls on familial expansion(your computer, yer order, yer
pay, yer receipt, AND your choice of disbursement...or dis semination...(a personal choice). I can hardly wait for another problem to approach actual translation to a question on this forum...I have several, but must address them when I can understand the question I ask in words I can compose. please be patient.
Fat Tire and I thank you for your patience...mike
Old 08-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Fat Tire and I thank you for your patience...mike
Mike......

Fat Tire INDEED!! I'll be bringing some real beer to the Balloon Fiesta. I hope to tip a few with you while we are there!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 03:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Lew,
Between the M ball, your Oregon Grinders, and the Fat Tire Tap, not to mention the Coors Cavalcade and the Wine Wielders, there should be an adequate flat table area for several interesting discussions, including the post-mornin caffeine commentaries...
mike
Old 09-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Lew,
Between the M ball, your Oregon Grinders, and the Fat Tire Tap, not to mention the Coors Cavalcade and the Wine Wielders, there should be an adequate flat table area for several interesting discussions, including the post-mornin caffeine commentaries...
mike
A well caffeinated, pre-alcoholic installation will be perfect............... with a little Advil for the inevitable hang over
Old 09-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Mike and Tracy, greetings from Riverside, We expect to see you, Mike the lewester and others at Alburquerque. While not a 345 motorhome, we had trouble with the Dometic refrigerator in our 25' CCD. It worked great at 90 degrees and below but could not keep the refrigerator compartment below 54 degrees in the middle of the day when outside temps were 95 and higher. It would drop into the middle to upper 30's when outside temperatures dropped at night. Like yours it did work okay on electric when pulled in.

I first installed a new LP regulator at the tanks but saw no improvement. This past July I installed the Snyder kit but only saw temps in the compartment drop to 52 during the hottest part of the day. I finally made a manometer using some 1/4 inch tubing and a fitting so I could check LP pressure when the refrigerator was operating. I found the LP pressure less than 8 inches of water. Most people recommend a pressure of 10 to 10 1/2 inches of water and no more than 11 inches. I adjusted the regulator to 10 1/2 inches and noted a big improvement, refrigerator compartment temps wew 44 degrees when outside air temps were 100 and the temperature in the closed Airstream was 107! You might have someone check the pressure in case it is part of the problem. I will have my manometer with me at Albuquerque in case you want to try it.

I do believe the cooling fan kit helps reduce LP use but in my case it could make up for the lack of heat when operating on LP.

BTW, there are several other things that could help on an older unit; removing the refrigerator and cleaning the baffle above the burner, cleaning the fins at the back-top of the refrigeraotr and making sure the upper vent is not plugger with debris.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Manometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoman
SNIP I will have my manometer with me at Albuquerque in case you want to try it.

I do believe the cooling fan kit helps reduce LP use but in my case it could make up for the lack of heat when operating on LP.

BTW, there are several other things that could help on an older unit; removing the refrigerator and cleaning the baffle above the burner, cleaning the fins at the back-top of the refrigeraotr and making sure the upper vent is not plugger with debris.
Mr Motoman,
Yes, I would be interested in seeing your manometer & learning how to use it. Mr Lew is going to install the Snyder kit for us. We'll see you in ABQ...mike
Old 09-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Mike and Tracy, greetings from Riverside, We expect to see you, Mike the lewester and others at Alburquerque. While not a 345 motorhome, we had trouble with the Dometic refrigerator in our 25' CCD. It worked great at 90 degrees and below but could not keep the refrigerator compartment below 54 degrees in the middle of the day when outside temps were 95 and higher. It would drop into the middle to upper 30's when outside temperatures dropped at night. Like yours it did work okay on electric when pulled in.

I first installed a new LP regulator at the tanks but saw no improvement. This past July I installed the Snyder kit but only saw temps in the compartment drop to 52 during the hottest part of the day. I finally made a manometer using some 1/4 inch tubing and a fitting so I could check LP pressure when the refrigerator was operating. I found the LP pressure less than 8 inches of water. Most people recommend a pressure of 10 to 10 1/2 inches of water and no more than 11 inches. I adjusted the regulator to 10 1/2 inches and noted a big improvement, refrigerator compartment temps wew 44 degrees when outside air temps were 100 and the temperature in the closed Airstream was 107! You might have someone check the pressure in case it is part of the problem. I will have my manometer with me at Albuquerque in case you want to try it.

Don,

I have my Super Duper RV Tech model digital manometer with me. We can hook it up to your unit and compare notes and..........accuracy . Maybe we'll have a gas pressure checking party (to start at least an hour after happy hour commences) and see how everyone elses are set?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Well, I don't have a 345 and I don't have a before & after situation for comparison.

My mid-90's Dometic was salvaged from a rig which had been sitting idle for many years, was not working and had to be rebuilt. When I got the fridge back from Stu Snyder, I found he had installed a cooling kit. This fridge is deeper than the Caravel's original fridge, so as I stateed in my original post in April '06: "the controls in the back cover most of the vent opening on the floor" so there air flow was not adequate to begin with.

The unit sure seems to stay cold enough even with the bottom vent opening being so small, so I have to give assume that the kit is doing its job. Since the fan runs quite a lot, I have to assume that there is a demand for it. This did cause me some concern as far as it being a drain on the battery, so I decided to keep an eye on it for the last year and a half.

After several boondocking adventures, in similar climates, sometimes using the fridge and sometimes not using the fridge (we had a propane leak for a while and just used a cooler with ice) checking the battery with a voltmeter at the start of the trip and at the journey's end, I didn't see any significant increase in the amount of electricity being drawn from the battery. Even after a week of boondocking we had plenty of juice to run the water pump and lights, which is about all there is to run in a Caravel. No fancy battery setup, either. Just a single Walmart deep cycle.

Old thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ese-22000.html

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:31 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Mr Motoman,
Yes, I would be interested in seeing your manometer & learning how to use it. Mr Lew is going to install the Snyder kit for us. We'll see you in ABQ...mike

For comparison, I'll bring the photos of my installation.

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 09-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Quote:
For comparison, I'll bring the photos of my installation.
Thanks...see you there.......mike
Old 09-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
San Juan Capistrano , California
I have one of the kits but I find the instructions unreadable so I haven't installed it yet. The problem is the pictures and the notes on the pictures that you can't read. Maybe they will post the instructions online, but for now I would have to make up my own installation (not sure how hard it is) because the included ones are of little value.
grantb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #18
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
grant

my instructions were readable but, i have tossed them out after i finished.

perhaps you can email them for a pdf file you could post here for all to see.

john
Old 09-12-2007, 11:50 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantb4
I have one of the kits but I find the instructions unreadable so I haven't installed it yet. The problem is the pictures and the notes on the pictures that you can't read. Maybe they will post the instructions online, but for now I would have to make up my own installation (not sure how hard it is) because the included ones are of little value.
Grantb4, I wil gladly send you jpegs of my installation in a 25' CCD if that would help you. Much better than Snyder's photocopy (pictures don't photo copy well on most machines). I'll even see if I can upload them to the site Friday morning.

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 10-27-2007, 07:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Greetings and somewhat tardy salutations...
Well, the Lewster installed the Snyder kit, and at first, we thought it wasn't gonna do anything, but then-----the temp in the Freezer dropped to -14, and the fridge compartment was 20...!!! I'd say it seems to work...will let you know more when we get settled down in Arizona this winter...BIG thanks to Lew, again...mike