Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhed View Post
Also, I don't think my screens use this stuff:

http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...roducts_id=641
looks right to me, you can cut the width. But not sure

Quote:
It looks to me like my screens use the same felt track as the slider window, and I will need to install 2 of the felt channels side by side per window.

http://www.hitechglazing.com/product/40059/301412

Does that sound right? The channels that are in there look exactly like the Schlagel that you strongly recommended against using so I plan on using what you recommend.
I have been usuing the hitech stuff for 16+ years with good success. The schlaegle is twice the price, it rusts and it usually makes it harder to operate the windows. Just follow my instructions and cut the back every 1/2" or so at the curves

Quote:
Also it looks like to install the seals you just jam/wedge the seals into a track. Do they need to be adhered somehow? If so, what adhesive should I use and where exactly on the seals do I apply it? Or do I apply the adhesive into the track where the seals jam into? I am not very good with adhesives and am worried about making a big mess.
get a couple of tubes of 3M 08008 black Super Weatherstrip adhesive
and squeeze a light bead in the track. Keep moving around the track. Once you pull it out it wants to make a messy string. I use very little to avoid the mess. Just make sure your track is nice and clean and dry.

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #30
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
I let you decide. The one on the right is the vertical seal on Motorhome cockpit windows,
VERTICAL LIP SEAL GRAY #6010-12 MOTORHOME SLIDING WINDOW
the middle appears to be your wrap around and the one on the left is obviously the schlaegle felt replacement, which can be ordered in different sizes on the site I shared. This has a width of 3/8", if I remember correctly
The two grey seals are what I used in Bella's windows. The Schlegle was replaced by AS NE so I'm not sure where they sourced it from. I would say the seal that simply pushes into the outer channel appears to serve no function other than encourage water to say outside the channel, but even if it gets in the channel it comes out of the weep holes. I guess it also stops crud building up in the channel. One thing AS NE didn't do but I have seen others have is cut the Schlegle as it goes around the bends to stop it puckering up....I wish they had, but they are supposed to be the Airstream repair shop!

Old 09-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #31
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
The two grey seals are what I used in Bella's windows. The Schlegle was replaced by AS NE so I'm not sure where they sourced it from. I would say the seal that simply pushes into the outer channel appears to serve no function other than encourage water to say outside the channel, but even if it gets in the channel it comes out of the weep holes. I guess it also stops crud building up in the channel. One thing AS NE didn't do but I have seen others have is cut the Schlegle as it goes around the bends to stop it puckering up....I wish they had, but they are supposed to be the Airstream repair shop!

Martin,
The more expensive Schlegle pushed by Airstream dealers with the metal inside can not be cut at the corners, hence the increased difficulty operating the windows ..
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #32
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Martin,
The more expensive Schlegle pushed by Airstream dealers with the metal inside can not be cut at the corners, hence the increased difficulty operating the windows ..
I guess I will have to live with the 'puckers' then Peter!