Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Shower leak

I have discovered that when weight is placed on 'seat' portion of the shower pan in our 84 310 MH the shower pan deforms slightly and opens cracks in the caulk which seals the shower pan to the base of the shower walls.

When I noticed the cracks in the caulk I re-caulked. Now I see that the new caulk is cracking as well.

I don't know if the problem is the caulking job I did or the deformation of the shower pan. When I place weight in the center of the 'seat' (by leaning on it with my hand) it doesn't move much but it does deform and pull the edge of the pan away form the shower wall (1/8 inch or less).

What are your thoughts and/or experience?

How difficult is it to remove the shower pan to inspect under it?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99 View Post
I have discovered that when weight is placed on 'seat' portion of the shower pan in our 84 310 MH the shower pan deforms slightly and opens cracks in the caulk which seals the shower pan to the base of the shower walls.

When I noticed the cracks in the caulk I re-caulked. Now I see that the new caulk is cracking as well.

I don't know if the problem is the caulking job I did or the deformation of the shower pan. When I place weight in the center of the 'seat' (by leaning on it with my hand) it doesn't move much but it does deform and pull the edge of the pan away form the shower wall (1/8 inch or less).

What are your thoughts and/or experience?
How difficult is it to remove the shower pan to inspect under it?
Hi guy99; Unless sides of the shower tub at the wall drift down as you step into it try re-caulking the joints with 3M 5200. Be sure the that surfaces to be caulked are clean especially of silicone. Be sure to put a nice clean and even bead because it is hard to cut. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
Hi guy99; Unless sides of the shower tub at the wall drift down as you step into it try re-caulking the joints with 3M 5200. Be sure the that surfaces to be caulked are clean especially of silicone. Be sure to put a nice clean and even bead because it is hard to cut. Thanks "Boatdoc"
Boatdoc,
Thanks. The walls don't drift down, the bottom goes down and the side of the pan pull away slightly.

I'm hoping there is nothing amiss under the pan which is allowing it to deform.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi guy99;
It looks as if removing the shower pan is in order. IMHO even if you seal the walls there still may be a underlying problem such as soft floor. I would pull the shower pan and inspect this area for flex in the floor. After you pull the pan set it on dry piece of plywood, fill pan with water [the higher level the better]. After half hour remove the water from the pan being careful not to wet the plywood. Remove the pan and check for wet spots on plywood. This will indicate if you have cracks or pin holes in the pan. If you do, send me Pm and I will tell you how to repair it. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
guy99,
Don't know if my experience will help or not. On my 345, shower leak kept getting worse. Finally opened up the wall behind the shower by removing closet wall. One of the fittings to the shower control had cracked. Replaced with new hose clamps and fitting. Leak went away. Hope yours is as easy to find and repair!
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote