Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
Alumnati

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Fredericksburg , Texas
Shower drain

The shower drain in our 345 is corroded and cruddy. I've got a new one but can't find access to the underside to remove it. Does anyone know how to remove the drain?
vonprum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I'm guessing that removal of shower drain will require removal of shower pan. Since I'm probably going to need to remove and replace flooring in that area in my 345, I'm probably just going to start removing all interior walls and get the shower pan replaced at same time, as mine was painted using what looks like a whisk broom.......I love my Airstream!
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
Alumnati

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Fredericksburg , Texas
Derek,

The shower pan won't come out until the drain is removed. Someone must have done this. I'm thinking that the shower was assembled off the frame and then the body was set in place on the chassis but there must be a way.
vonprum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
Have no idea how they installed the drains, but in home plumbing most drains in tubs and precast showers can be reversed threaded out from the surface. Maybe a plumber might have a simpler solution then removal of the fiberglass pan.
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
A picture might help? As raveson said most just unscrew from the surface, but not without a lot of persuasion. If theres a flange on it you might be able to grasp it and bend it inwards, or cut with a Drexel. They make a special drain removal wrench that inserts into the drain , any big box store will have it.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I assume the shower pans were similar to what is in a trailer. These can be easily changed out without removing anything.
Here is a link to the tool: Tub Drain Removal from BrassCraft | The Home Depot - Model#: T170

The drain is threaded into the drain pipe and there is a rubber gasket that goes between the pan and the pipe flange.
Unscrew the old one, clean everything up, replace the gasket, put some plumbers putty around the back side of the new drain, put some teflon pipe dope on the threads, screw into place and wipe off the plumbers putty that smooshes out around the side of the new drain.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
When I tore out my shower (without the intention of re-using any of it) I found some blocking that supported the floor pan, as well as a hole that had been cut into the ply-board subfloor of the moho. The hole had been cut to allow clearance for the P-trap, and was closed off from the underside with a plastic shield. Since my moho is a custom, the shower was located on the curb side, about three feet aft of the entrance door, and what I've described was actually visible once a side storage compartment/drawer was pulled out. Since I didn't plan to save my old shower, I wasn't very delicate with the removal, but I recall thinking that saving the original would not have been an easy job (or at least not the kind of job that I'm particularly good at).

Not sure if in your case you'll have access from below to attempt a repair.

"Dad's toy's" recent post displaying a newly designed P-trap replacement could come in handy and simplify things a bit.

Charly.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
when we had our gray water tank removed for 'welding', reassembly occurred without the drain cover. We use a screen basket, and a white rubber stopper to plug the drain...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote