Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Scoop Ideas

Team,

Would like to pick your brains again on some scoop ideas for two areas on the classic.

1. Scoop for the intake
2. Scoop for the engine compartment similar to those found on old planes

I am considering these options of scoops, so if any of my theories are off, please comment and correct me.

Scoop for intake:
With the rear mounted engine the intake is on the side, but the tail of the motorhome begins to taper just forward of the intake. Expecting a negative dynamic pressure influencing it, and adding the scoop to enhance air flow. So, besides aesthetic appeal/destruction depending on your view, would there be any gain to having a scoop to increase dynamic pressure at the intake? I ask because I suspect the turbo would make up for this. I would additionally expect issues with regard to precipitation in foul weather, and reinforcing the intake box to prevent air escaping places I would not want. Essentially I see this one as the little to no gain.

Scoop for engine compartment:
Essentially create a scoop forward of the rear axle, that is 4" tall, and extends across the width of the coach. The scoop would have two tapper points to a 5" orifice just inside the frame above each frame rail. Ducting would terminate one orifice just forward of the exhaust manifold with a shaped nozzle to assist air cooling of the manifold at speed. The other duct would terminate forward of the engine on the injector pump side to force more air across engine. The thought I had is the air would additionally assist in cooling the engine by forcing more air across the radiator/trans cooler/intercooler. Another thought would be to alter the fan shroud and plug the two ducts into it at either side. Both ducts would have an a vertical "s" curve to deal with precipitation, and a hole drilled at the low points with a rear facing scoop for drainage.

End state: cooler engine compartment temperatures, to assist with efficiency of Th/Tc. I would expect to see an increase in efficiency although minor at about 1-3%, and most likely in the 1% area.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121184
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:24 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
This is the kind of scoop I prefer:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icecream-scoop.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	233903  
Old 03-09-2015, 05:27 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Okay, now that you're done laughing, or shaking your head and groaning, I did make a scoop for my Volkswagen camper several decades ago. All it consisted of was a, well, scoop made out of fiberglass, mounted intake forward. On your motor home, you can do the same thing at the rear edge of the air intake opening. I would certainly paint it silver to match the body of the motor home, mine I left raw white color.