Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Kenneth

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Waxahachie , Texas
Satellite installation

Good morning my fellow travelers and Merry Christmas!! My wonderful wife has blessed us with the Winegard Mini Max Automatic satellite antennae this Christmas. Bringing my sports on the road!! Anyway putting my excitement aside for the moment, has anybody ever installed one of these things on a AS motorhome? I have a 1987 345. I've renovated this coach inside and out including transmission overdrive, and Banks power pack, so I think I could do it, but drilling holes in the shell and trying to run and/or locate cables is a bit intimidating. Could really use some advice/help/direction. Thanks and safe travels
1987_345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Pittsville , Maryland
Sounds to me like Old Saint Nick's GPS messed up . He dropped my Winegard Mini Max off 1500 miles too far south . Guess I was a bad boy this year maybe next year .
Ice Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Ok, 1st question. Are you planning on a permanent installation? If so, ditch the old useless tv antennae. As well, if you have a center panel running down center of ceiling, I believe that you'll be able to access wiring. No idea if Satellite requires 12v or 120v.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	072.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	202431  
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Ok, 1st question. Are you planning on a permanent installation? If so, ditch the old useless tv antennae. As well, if you have a center panel running down center of ceiling, I believe that you'll be able to access wiring. No idea if Satellite requires 12v or 120v.
The original TV antenna is far from useless; it may be used to receive the new digital signals with NO modifications. Even if you don't have a digital TV, there are low-cost digital tuners available to update an old TV.

I would check that the connectors were in good shape, however...

ps: the satellite antenna recieves its power from the satellite tuner, through the usual RG59 it connects to it with.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
Kenneth

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Waxahachie , Texas
Well I've already upgraded the two original tv's with two flat screen 12v DVD-HD tv's so we're limited with what the original antennae will deliver. Plus its kinda broken. The masts won't extend anymore. Anyway I had thought about installing the minimax in that location because I would be able to power it off of the light circuit and the original coax running to both tv's was still there. (hopefully I could utilize them in the new installation). The only disadvantage to a mid mount is that often when backed into a camp spot the middle to the back of the coach is under trees, thus potentially blocking the signal. I'm told thats why most of them are mounted on the front. Unfortunately I don't have a center panel like the pic shows. If I mount it in the front Im looking at trying to remove interior ceiling panels.....
Old 12-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
What about running the wires the same way they do the solar installs. Just brung it down the refer vent and run it forward to your box. Or drop it through the floor by the refer and run it underneath from there.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
What about running the wires the same way they do the solar installs. Just brung it down the refer vent and run it forward to your box. Or drop it through the floor by the refer and run it underneath from there.
That's what I did when I installed a Wingard Traveler on my 1976 Sovereign. I ran the cables through 3/4 PVC grey conduit as shown over to the fridge vent. My TV sits on a small shelve just forward of the fridge. It worked perfect. The conduit can not be seen unless you get on a ladder. Since this picture was taken I have had the top painted white along with the conduit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sat-install-1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	202491
Old 12-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Kenneth

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Waxahachie , Texas
Those are good ideas. I hadn't thought about using the refer compartment. Thank-you very much. I'll post the results after I get finished...