Old 04-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
Pup Rivet

1984 31' Airstream310
Wichita Falls , Texas
Well, I've done some research and wire tracing and here's what I've got so far....ALWAYS make sure the M/H is not plugged in or the gen set running when doing repairs!, and no I did not find out the hard way.
The wiring for the the A/C units depends on the rear bedroom configuration and the size of the motor home. On mine,which is a 310, twin bed, the wiring from the gen set comes into the motor home thru the upper right hand back corner of the genset box (Looking at it from outside the M/H) The wires enter the M/H under the curb (passenger) side twin bed where a 20 Amp circuit breaker box has been mounted. I am pretty sure this box is factory and was not installed by the previous owner. I understand on a 345 the wires come in under the closet on the same side. Opening the box, mine has two sets of wires coming in, one set goes thru the circuit breaker and then out of the box, the other set is attached to the terminal blocks in the box with leads which are also attached to the blocks running out of the box. The first important thing to do is to define which set of wires go directly from the genset to the rear air or to the Univolt system. I took one set of wires loose going out of the box, set my meter to ohms and attached it to the leads, I turned on the A/C unit and checked to see if I had a closed loop system. I repeated this with the other set. When I turned on the A/C the meter showed a loop on the second set. ( the ones going to the 20 amp. breaker). I then mounted my own box next to the breaker box. in my box I placed a 30 amp. switch. I ran a set of wires from the output side of the new box and connected them to the A/C leads coming out of the circuit breaker. I purchased a new heavy duty extension cord at Walmart which is the same size as the wiring on my M/H reel. After drilling a couple of 3/4" holes, one in the floor under the bed and one in the backside of my power reel compartment, I ran the cord thru the holes and coiled the extra up in the area next to my cord reel. I attached the cord to the input side of of my switch. So...... Now with both switches off the rear air will not run on ether the genset or the power cord. With the new switch turned on and the circuit breaker turned off the A/C will run on power cord. With the new switch off and the circuit breaker on the A/C will run on the generator. This system is under the bed and out of sight the hinged panel on the front of the bed just has to be opened to make the switch. If I do this right the power cord will never feed into my generator, nor the gen into the power cord. I hope this all makes since.

"It's when we think we know it all, that we have the most to learn"
ftbjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
It sounds right . That is basicly(misspelled)the way we did ours. the po had a extra cord ran to the rear air and didn't isolate it and it burned up the gen. the switch that allows you to feed the 120 house plugs was bad also and we had to replace it . I need to label my cutoff switch so I can remember which way is off.

Sounds like you are go to go. Stay cool and have a great summer.

kay

Old 04-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Lafayette , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler
First question I have is has anyone done ANY rewiring on your motorhome? If so what changes were made.

If no changes were made are both small circuit breakers located on the generator turned on and actually working? One of mine was bad but you couldn't tell that without checking their output leads.

Brad
Brad,
I have tried to run both a/c's with the both switches in each posistion. They are not marked, so it hard to tell what is on/off. Should both switches be flipped the same direction, or staggered? How hard is it to replace a switch?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #18
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
That's why I used a dual-post/dual-throw 30 amp switch for the change over from rotary switch to second shore plug. If the switch is in the wrong place for whichever power source, it just don't work. Nothing can get damaged that way.
mel
Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuncruiser
Brad,
I have tried to run both a/c's with the both switches in each posistion. They are not marked, so it hard to tell what is on/off. Should both switches be flipped the same direction, or staggered? How hard is it to replace a switch?
On our Kohler generator the two switches are supposed to be in the same position. If you're running your coach off the generator and you are getting ac power to operate say the front a/c unit then at least one of your circuit breakers is in the correct position. You would need to experiment with positioning to determine what is the on position and what is the off position.

To replace a switch/circuit breaker on our Kohler you have to pull the generator out of the compartment. Definitely makes it a tough proposition. Thats one reason I installed a sliding tray to mount our generator on so I could slide it out to work on it. Check out http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...ide-33447.html for information on how I installed the drawer slides. It sure does make it easier to work on and remove for service if need be.

While in Branson last weekend I spent some down time making a sketch of how our motorhome AC power system is wired. I plan on cleaning the sketch up and posting it in a link possibly later this week.

The original design of the electrical system by Airstream provided the ability to run the generator while the coach was plugged into shore power. There are two isolation/disconnect relays that are energized approximately 45 seconds after the generator is started. The isolation/disconnect relays switch the power from shore to generator. It is NOT a bumpless transfer and I would recommend not having anything running while starting up the generator. I'll post a better description and the sketch soon of how the system was designed.

Brad
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:00 AM   #20
Pup Rivet

1984 31' Airstream310
Wichita Falls , Texas
Don't forget the other switch!

When I first got my 310 the PO showed me around for the five minute tour and everything worked like it should when it came to the A/c. When I got home with her after a 600 mile journey, and playing with different things along the way, I couldn't get ether of my A/C's to work! but here's what I found. On my 84 310 only the front unit is wired to work when the motor home is plugged in. There is also a switch to switch back and forth between the A/C and the Microwave/convection oven! You can't run them both at the same time. I guess if your going to cook you are going to do it with no air. My switch is mounted above the stove and sinks, next to the exhaust vent lever. That was one of the things I played with thinking it was a light switch. I all so found that the two circuit breakers on the generator feed two different legs one goes to the Univolt system and the other goes to only the rear air. I did make the mistake of running the generator at the same time I was plugged in. I started my generator after I had plugged her in thinking I could run both A/Cs and cool her down quickly, as soon as the gen. kicked in (after the two minute delay) she started bucking and kicking and I couldn't turn it off quick enough! One of my electrical Buddy's said it had to do with polarity, all I know is my generator would not start for the trip home. Found out there is a fuse behind the starter switch cover on the generator itself. It blew when the generator kicked in. If you can hear your Univolt system working (humming) and you have checked all the fuses in your fuse box to make sure the are not blown, your front A/C should work if your MW/AC selector switch is in the right position and your plugged in.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Fred,

Here is a short article with sketches I wrote to describe how the 120 VAC system on the motorhomes is supposed to function.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ion-41259.html

Brad
Old 04-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #22
Pup Rivet

1984 31' Airstream310
Wichita Falls , Texas
Here is a short article with sketches I wrote to describe how the 120 VAC system on the motorhomes is supposed to function.

Brad, Thanks, I saw your article and have already printed off the scketches, I plan on tracing my system to see if it is the same. Do you have twins in the bed room or a queen?, it might make a difference on where the items are located. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftbjc

Brad, Thanks, I saw your article and have already printed off the scketches, I plan on tracing my system to see if it is the same. Do you have twins in the bed room or a queen?, it might make a difference on where the items are located. Thanks for the help!
Ours is a rear twin. You should find a small breaker box on the right hand side of the opening and the transfer box to the left laying on top of the wheel well.

Have a good flash light handy or a trouble light as its a small opening and its dark in there!

Brad
Old 04-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #24
Pup Rivet

1984 31' Airstream310
Wichita Falls , Texas
Missing Transfer box

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Ours is a rear twin. You should find a small breaker box on the right hand side of the opening and the transfer box to the left laying on top of the wheel well.
Quote:

Have a good flash light handy or a trouble light as its a small opening and its dark in there!

Brad,
I took the drawer out, opened the cabinet door under the drawer, got myself a nice light, and found nothing. I thought maybe the P/O might have moved the transfer box at first, but there are no screw or wire holes thru the wall anywhere. I wonder if Airstream wired the motor homes differently for some reason. I have found only the one transfer box and it is in the same compartment as the wire reel. Any ideas?, Will keep looking in the mean time.
Fred

Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Fred,

Another way to try and find the second transfer box would be to trace the power feed cable coming from your generator. The power cable has to enter the coach somewhere and if your coach is wired like mine it will lead to a circuit breaker box with one circuit breaker in it. The feed from that circuit breaker box should then go to the second transfer box (assuming yours has a second transfer box).

What model and year is your motorhome?

Brad
Old 05-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #26
Pup Rivet

1984 31' Airstream310
Wichita Falls , Texas
What model and year is your motor home?

I have an 84' 310 limited with twin beds in the back, I have traced the wiring coming into the M/H from the generator. One lead goes to the circuit breaker box and then into the wall, straight up to the rear A/C unit. the other lead goes to the Univolt system under the slide out cabinet, under the microwave, next to the frig. I don't think I have a second box or a rotary switch like others have talked about. The only switch I have is next to the exhaust fan, over the stove, which can be switched back and forth for the front A/C or microwave.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftbjc
What model and year is your motor home?

I have an 84' 310 limited with twin beds in the back, I have traced the wiring coming into the M/H from the generator. One lead goes to the circuit breaker box and then into the wall, straight up to the rear A/C unit. the other lead goes to the Univolt system under the slide out cabinet, under the microwave, next to the frig. I don't think I have a second box or a rotary switch like others have talked about. The only switch I have is next to the exhaust fan, over the stove, which can be switched back and forth for the front A/C or microwave.
Fred,

Our motorhome is a 1984 310 Limited. It sure looks like your coach didn't come fitted with the 2nd transfer box. Also makes me wonder if the 2nd transfer box might have been an option.

Based on your description you can pretty much throw away the write-ups that I did. They won't work for your coach at all.

Sorry about that.

Brad
Old 06-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #28
Pup Rivet

1984 31' Airstream310
Wichita Falls , Texas
The fix that works!

I tried to find the missing box but it would appear that My M/H only has the one. This is as simple a fix I could come up with and after taking the Motor home out for the four day memorial weekend it appears to work. I traced the line coming from the rear A/C to the gen set. I have twin rear beds and the wiring came in on the curb side, under the bed. I found there were two leads coming into the coach, one feed the Univolt system the other went to the rear air. I disconnected the incoming which fed the rear a/c from the gen set. On the rear (driver) street side of my m/h is the compartment that houses the power reel (120 volt plug) as well as the air pump. I ran two Romex lines from this compartment up through the floor, around behind the three drawer chess between the beds. I mounted a two plug electric box on the inside of the compartment wall and connected one of the Romex lines. The other end of this line I connected to the original a/c lead from the generator (when the generator is running the plug is hot). I bought a motor home 30 amp extension cord, removed the female plug and connected it to the other Romex line. Under the bed on the gen set side, I mounted a 30 amp circuit breaker. I ran the leads from the a/c into one side of the 30 amp and the extension cord into the other.
I now can run the rear air by plugging it directly into an outlet, or if I want to run it using the generator, I can plug into the new plug. I hope this will help anyone who is having the same problem I had with my rear air.