Old 12-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Running a classic MH on LPG

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to use the existing 100lb LPG tank so I can run on duel-fuel (gas and LPG) in a 1991 classic 250 MH?

thanks

Boom Sounds

Old 12-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds
Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to use the existing 100lb LPG tank so I can run on duel-fuel (gas and LPG) in a 1991 classic 250 MH?

thanks

Boom Sounds
100 pounds of LPG won't get you very far, since that is only 25 gallons at maximum.

Also keep in mind that your fuel mileage will go down, since LPG contains only about 80 to 85 percent of the BTU, of gasolene.

Andy

Old 12-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
NO

The existing propane tank feeds gasious propane to a small pressure regulator.
A engine propane tank takes the liquid propane and evaporates this in a large water heated evaporator.

You could do this if you are able to get a 2nd feedline in the tank that takes the propane from the botom of the tank.

That would mean that you need to drill a hole in the tank.
That is not alowed. and even with a empthy tank a realy dangerous thing to do.

REmco
Old 12-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I agree with Andy, the 100# bottle in not enough capacity. I have owned several converted pickups in the past. We installed a 100 gallon (water capacity) tank to have any range. It was an advantage in the past beause propane was cheaper than gasoline, and most states had a flat rate road tax for propane, that saved you money when compared to the sales taxes and road taxes on a gallon of gasoline. Today, the cost of the fuels is nearly the same, and the savings on the taxes is almost gone. We quit as a result of these factors.
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
edgawater , Maryland
Taxes-

Not to sound smart, but they have a slightly different structure on fuel in Europe and UK. I think it translates into about $8 a gallon today. People are more conscious there, have really efficient common rail diesel packages, and lots of folks burn GPL. You should put tanks underneath somewhere, I've seen RV'ers there with US C-class RV's, attach a big bottle on the back, and its outside, outta the way, and easy to fill and service. Gotta be a better way than paying for l'essence/petrol/benzin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple
I agree with Andy, the 100# bottle in not enough capacity. I have owned several converted pickups in the past. We installed a 100 gallon (water capacity) tank to have any range. It was an advantage in the past beause propane was cheaper than gasoline, and most states had a flat rate road tax for propane, that saved you money when compared to the sales taxes and road taxes on a gallon of gasoline. Today, the cost of the fuels is nearly the same, and the savings on the taxes is almost gone. We quit as a result of these factors.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Running a MH on LPG

You are spot on. LPG is 40% of the cost of gas and diesel in the UK which is why I need to make this modification. I would much prefer the tanks to be under the chassis. Does anyone know whether there is room under the 250 to fit decent size LPG tanks?

Also, one assumes that if I did go down the route of using the existing LPG tank which would give me a range of about 250 miles on a well-tuned 250 MH, the modification could be done safely by a professional garage. I certainly hadn;t planned to do this one myself.

thanks

N