Old 06-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
Road side help when breaking down

what if i brake down in the middle of nowhere????i am a member of AAA but they do not cover RV's ,supposedly because of where i live???does not make sense.....Sam s club is useless...when i needed help with my batteries issue,they could not find a mechanic near by,or any road service.....had to find it myself....my question is, do any of you know of a insurance company like AAA that one can use and rely on ???? thanks.M

Old 06-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If you have towing insurance on your tow vehicle or motorhome, you may get AAA-type service on your RV, too. We have Farmers insurance, and they respond just like AAA. We have sometimes had to pay out of pocket, but they have always paid all towing and roadside assistance claims after we got home. I'd check with your insurance agent to see if you are already covered, or if you can add this.

Note: I think towing insurance was $25 per six months or year; very low cost.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
you can get AAA coverage for RV. Have it. used it once for a lockout. best could be Good Sam RV coverage.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I have Good Sam and Hartford covers mh for 10 a yr, but if you are really in middle of nowhere, you won't have cell phone service to call, carry tools and spares. You can always run the generator to get 12v to get to the next place for service or parts if your alternator gives out. AS did put in a switch so that you can combine house and start batteries in a dead battery situation.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
braking down

as i said.AAA will not cover me because of where i live!!!!i will try Farmers...thanks for the suggestion......
Old 06-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
We have had to call for roadside assistance twice, both times we needed tows.

The first time we used the coverage that came with our auto policy. They called the low bidder. He was not up to the job, had an undersized truck, damaged the Airstream, and dropped us off at a Chevy dealer that would not work on it. We got a tip on the roadside mechanic that Good Sam uses in the area, he fixed the vehicle for us at our expense.

The second time was Good Sam. They paid for a flatbed to move us where we needed to go. They were familiar with emergency service for RV's, the first guys were not.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
I have Coach Net, happily have never used it but have phoned them for technical advise. They say they will tow my RV to the nearest Airstream Dealer if needed - I'm not 100% sure how they handle my t.v. if needed.

I first got it when I purchased a new Roadtrek in 2010, it came with the RV, when I got the Airstream I phoned them and they switched me over to Airstream, I then renewed - about $100 per year. They also offer routing assistance and RV park reservations etc..

http://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Hi,
With AAA not being available to you, my advice would be to research Good Sam's plan. I've got Full-Timer friends who've sworn by Good Sams for over 8 years now.
That's not to say that if you're in the middle of no where, Good Sams will be able to respond within 10 minutes, remember, you're in the middle of no where for a reason....peace and solitude.
Sounds like you're getting the Airstream road-worthy, ready for another trip.
Plan ahead, take along spares of belts and hoses if possible. Realize you're not going to be able to do the repairs yourself, but having the parts seems to be the biggest hurdle in repairs when out on the road.
Good Luck, Derek
Old 06-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Dayton , Tennessee
We also use Coach Net on the advice of full timers. Same coverage as Good Sam--same price, & we hope we never need it.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I have only used Good Sam once for a car, not the A/S. I was 30 miles from home and they would not tow me home. They wanted to tow me to the closest mechanic. I realize that's what they do...closest mechanic...but I wanted to go to the mechanic that has serviced my vehicle since new. Bottom line is I had to pay for the tow to get home. I dropped them and went back to AAA. So, I guess the bottom line is to get something for your cars when not towing and then something different for when you are towing.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I have broken down in the middle of NOWHERE...had Good Sam's...it took them about 18 hours to respond with a flatbed that came from 110 miles+, and they found a mechanic another 50 miles away...I was very pleased with the service...18 hours might seem like a long time, but...I WAS out in the middle of NOWHERE...signed a slip of paper on delivery to the mechanic, and that was it...well.yeah, I had to pay the mechanic...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
road emergency service

Well,after some research and phone calls following all your input on the matter,i went with COACH NET..NMC ,NATIONAL MOTOR CLUB which i would never have found without you .....got a one year platinum plus for $129....it works in all states and Canada....pay for towing to nearest chevy garage able to fix the problem etc....Hope never to have to use it...and yes, i do have replacement belts,hoses...but mostly have in mind blow outs,and more serious mechanical problems,like a fan clutch going bad.....etc....happy summer and happy travels to all...and many thanks for your input.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I think that there is no "one size covers all" service. Get something for around home and get something for when you travel. It's good to know that help is coming...even if it is 18 hours later.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The AAA should have a RV package?
I question any plan that would not cover you because of your location in NY state.

stanfordville , New York - Google Maps

What would happen if you broke down on the Alaska Highway, 100+miles from possible service?

I have BCAA with RV+ package, but have never had need to use it. Most small problems, if you look at them long enough, can be diagnosed and fixed temporarily on the road.

Always carry your tools and basic repair kits. If you are in a cg, help is just asking your neigbour.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
Well,after some research and phone calls following all your input on the matter,i went with COACH NET..NMC ,NATIONAL MOTOR CLUB which i would never have found without you .....got a one year platinum plus for $129....it works in all states and Canada....pay for towing to nearest chevy garage able to fix the problem etc....Hope never to have to use it...and yes, i do have replacement belts,hoses...but mostly have in mind blow outs,and more serious mechanical problems,like a fan clutch going bad.....etc....happy summer and happy travels to all...and many thanks for your input.