Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
We have "full-timer" insurance with Foremost, it covers everything: emergency services, plus the contents of the coach. We've had some service calls, repairs and have been treated well.

"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1983 31' Airstream310
Santa Cruz , California
It depends on the size of the RV. AAA differs from state to state. I have the Good Sam service which I think is the same as Coach Net. I have used it once, situation similar to ScrapIrony's -- many hours wait, it was a two hour drive from where the tow rig was to me, and 60 miles (and 4000 feet down hill) to where I wanted it towed. It took a while but it all worked out, and I still have the coverage. Keep track of where the heavy truck/RV repair places are and just like when you're flying, know where you're going to land when the engine quits... There were some issues but all got worked out, I can vouch for Sierra Heavy Duty in Sonora, California.

dljosephson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
as i said.AAA will not cover me because of where i live!!!!i will try Farmers...thanks for the suggestion......
Try Allstate, they do RV's. We had a blowout in a out of the way area with no cell service. The sheriff came along and said no problem. He called his base who called Allstate and they sent out help in short order.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Good Sam's ERS

I had AAA Plus RV for several years before I found out about their inconsistent coverage. I switched to Good Sam's ERS, and have used it four times with very good results. The best experience was in British Columbia last fall, while towing a friend's Airstream down from Anchorage to Seattle. We took a free upgrade offer to the Platinum level just for the Alaska trip. The TV broke down in the middle of nowhere, way south of Houston, BC. Good Sam's had the tow service there in under 80 minutes - they put the Burb on a flatbed, and towed the AS behind it. The tow operator put the AS in a site at a campground just outside of town, and took the TV to a dealership in Houston. Over a $400 tow bill, no problems, no questions asked.
2005 Bambi
1968 Trade Wind
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Crew
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Road side help when breaking down

I carried AAA Plus-RV for many years, but when I embarked on an 8,000 mile summer excursion with my 1975 Cadillac tow vehicle in 2008, I added Good Sam Motor Club coverage after hearing horror stories about AAA response in some of the areas where I would be traveling. As it turned out, I don't really know that there was much difference.

The new alternator on my Cadillac failed about 225 North of my home necessitating a call for assistance. First, I called AAA Plus-RV. I was assured that a properly equipped tow truck would be there within 90-minutes (I was midway between Champaign, IL and Arcola, IL. Seventy minutes later, a 1-ton tow truck arrived ready to tow my Cadillac to a garage in Arcola. The tow truck operator took one look at my Cadillac and shook his head . . . my car weighed more than his tow truck so it was a no go. He left indicating that he would inform the dispatcher that a bigger tow truck would be needed.

I waited 90-minutes and when there was no tow truck in sight nor call from AAA, I called Good Sam's road service number. Again, I was assured that I would see a tow truck within 90-minutes. Seventy minutes later, the same tow truck and drive appeared on the horizon. He explained that both AAA and Good Sam used the same dispatching service and he was one of their primary contract carriers for the area. I was out of luck again . . . but this time the tow truck operator called one of the other contract carriers for the region who had a very large roll-back tow truck . . . forty-five minutes later, my Cadillac was loaded on the roll-back headed for the garage in Arcola.

My Argosy complicated matters. The tow truck operator agreed that he was obligated to relocate my Argosy to a safe campground, but he didn't have the proper towing equipment for a trailer on his tow truck. He called the owner of the business who brought his personal van to the scene of my break-down and towed my Argosy to the campground in the heart of Arcola. It turned out that the owner of the towing service also owned an Airstream and was quite familiar with Vintage Airstreams and Argosys.

Given the oddity of my situation, I was satisfied with the outcome if not a bit frustrated by the poor communications skills present with the dispatching service. I had explained to the dispatching service each time I called that the tow truck would have to be capable of handling a 6,000 pound, 1975 Cadillac Edlorado Convertible . . . but each time the dispatcher sent a service with a tow truck that would have been highly taxed to handle my 4,000 pound, 1984 Cadillac Edlorado Biarritz Convertible. With all three tow trucks that were involved, none was equipped to tow a trailer so I was fortunate that the owner of the final towing service had a personal vehicle equipped to tow a travel trailer.

P.S.: Given my experience on that trip, I dropped back and carry only Good Sam. The price that I pay for Good Sam is about 20% less than what I paid for AAA Plus-RV, and since both use the same dispatching service (or at least they did in 2008), it didn't make sense to carry two policies that would utilize the same dispatcher . . . .
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that Allstate also includes a membership to KOA which I have taken full advantage of.

Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote