Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #1
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Retro is the new in thing.

I wonder in this day and age of trying to come up with a different product that set yours apart from the next guy, if T.H.O.R has thought of bringing back the Classic so to speak. What I mean is, everyone has an Interstate that's blinged out.

I have had many soft and a couple hard offers for my 83 turbo diesel 310. The last one being from a Quebec couple that had once owned a 43' Newmar Mountainaire with all the bling you could imagine in a big rig. They had sold it due to expensive maintenance, difficulty getting into any National or Provincial parks and in his words "tres complex".

The loss they took on the deal was four times the initial purchase cost of my coach (and I paid too much).

The comments once inside our 310 were incredulous and very complimentary. The both of them loved the convertible lounge and the layout. Yes, the bathroom could be bigger but overall, they felt the space was perfect for them.

Ford has gone aluminum, Airstream still has expertise in aluminum, people have money and a desire to own a well built quality diesel powered Airstream that is a Class A aluminum coach.

Yes, we have come along way since 96, in manufacturing with aluminum and robotics; so it would only stand to reason we could built it better, faster and cheaper than they did back in 95-96.

What chassis, power plant, transmission, length, layout would you suggest THOR consider?

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Mitsubishi Fuso Canter F130 for a 20ft rear twin, FE160 for a 26ft (twin or rear queen), FE180 for a 32ft (twin or rear queen).

Modular layout (adding 6ft = + lounge or + extra twin).

They are cab-overs so just a case of tipping the cab forward, unbolting and away you go.

I guess on a related subject why not a true 'restomod' using old classic bodies (kinda like Singer are doing with Porsche 911)?
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Mitsubishi Fuso Canter F130 for a 20ft rear twin, FE160 for a 26ft (twin or rear queen), FE180 for a 32ft (twin or rear queen).

Modular layout (adding 6ft = + lounge or + extra twin).

They are cab-overs so just a case of tipping the cab forward, unbolting and away you go.

I guess on a related subject why not a true 'restomod' using old classic bodies (kinda like Singer are doing with Porsche 911)?
James May of Top Gear described the Singer 911 as a love letter to a car. What Singer is doing to 911 is jewel like, an absolutely insane attention to detail, but at what cost. A Singer 911 is $500,000.00, and worth every penny if you're a 911 aficionado.

I was thinking of a modern interpretation of the Classic monocoque structure that would be more affordable, durable, functional, easier to use and maintain than the traditional Class A.

I like the Fuso/Isuzu Cantor/W series idea (especially 4wd versions) and a possible modular building system but the suspension system would have to be tossed. I once entertained the thought of buying a GMC/Isuzu W550 crew cab chassis and mounting a trailer body behind it but the thought of travelling across the country in a landscaping truck wasn't my wife's idea of a great trip.

The Fuso or Isuzu 4 cylinder diesels are a great start, both motors have a 500,000 mile BAC number.

Is Martin onto something when the length is limited to a maximum of say 32'.

How about a possible CVT transmission?

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 08-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I just happened to go back to the Classic forum and there's a guy in Switzerland looking for just what we're designing. He wants a Classic with a turbo diesel and a modern interior.

I have no doubt he would buy mine in a heart beat for big bucks; what a pity I'm not selling it.

If there was the option to buy a brand new Classic with a modern interior, engine, transmission and chassis....he would buy it.

Cheers
Tony

Old 08-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #5
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
To be honest if a new Classic was available, I wouldn't have 'wasted' my money on Bella (I say wasted because that is money I will never see again, not that I'm not happy with the result).

Even if I could have dropped Bella's body on a modern chassis at the start of the rebuild I would have, but because we are exporting to Europe in the future an old body on a new chassis = new vehicle, I would have to follow current legislation with regard things like emissions, crash test rating, and general 'type' testing. So any chassis change has to come later.

But maybe that is the stumbling block for THOR - its not whether they can build a new Classic, it is whether they could be approval to sell (not just US but worldwide)????
Old 08-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
If they built a new classic it would be well beyond my price range and I would have to wait 20 years before I could afford a used one. ...
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #7
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Maybe that is another problem....who would by a new Classic? Folks that currently buy a new AI?

Personally I think Airstream killed the idea of a new Classic when they went the B-van route, unless they stop making those or try and create a new high end market sector above the B-vans.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just to keep the juices flowing......

A couple of these chassis's are front engine diesels, small enough to build a great Classic.

Martin's idea of just transplanting a new frame underneath would be tempting if my engine completely blew up.

Freightliner Motorhome Chassis ? RV Chassis

The specs on Fred would make any Classic owner drool...

http://freightlinerchassis.com/docum...3759000000.pdf

Cheers
Tony

Old 08-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1440454705.692288.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	246246

Have you fellas ever run across this concept drawing?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #10
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Attachment 246246

Have you fellas ever run across this concept drawing?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Thar you go Mike! That be what we want!

Maybe a panoramic window at the back, on a FRED chassis with the 340hp 660 ftlbs Cummins and an air ride suspension.

Just try and tell me that no one would recognize this as anything but an Airstream.

Cheers
Tony

Old 08-24-2015, 05:37 PM   #11
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I was just in the process of writing....."whot no panos!"
Old 08-24-2015, 05:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I totally agree Tony
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:46 AM   #13
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Not sure if they are available in the US, but in Europe they have launched a hybrid 7.5t Canter.....just saying

Eco Hybrid

Old 08-25-2015, 06:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I would consider one if built on a Ford F-550 chassis.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:56 PM   #15
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I would consider one if built on a Ford F-550 chassis.
FYI. The Ford F550 is a cab and chassis for a Class C motorhome, not Class A.

Ford however does make a F53 motorhome chassis for a Class A.

However, since the original Classics came with either an Isuzu or later on a Cummins power plant I'm thinking Ford would be a no go. Ford just doesn't have that "Je ne sais quoi" for us Classic guys.

By the way, arn't you that trailer guy that hates Canada?

Cheers
Tony

Old 08-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Now, now Tony! I drive a classic ford...a '95 F150!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #17
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Now, now Tony! I drive a classic ford...a '95 F150!
A 95 Ford is a Classic? You meant 75 Ford, right......

Sorry for Ford bashing a bit but my experience with Ford kinda left a bitter taste in my mouth.

88 Merc Cougar LS 302 V8, 95 Ranger super cab 4.0 V6 The Merc cost me large in maintenance with front pads every year, rotors and front springs every two as the cars suspension was designed for the V6 not the V8. The car had a weird tire size so they cost more as the wheels were a four bolt, 14" rim. The headlamp switch cost me almost $500 for the part alone, as the headlamp switch was ganged with twilight sentinel and auto headlamp dimming.

The big thing I have found with Ford is the prolific use of SST bolts and fasteners. The bolts holding my driveshaft in place on the Ranger had 8 points. To get the sparkplugs out of the Ranger took me 20 minutes one side, 2 hours and scraped knuckles, the other. The other thing was I could only drive the Ranger for 45 minutes max in the Mustang seats which were horrible. Fords for some reason have the worst seats and driving position as I recently sat in an Explorer and it was bloody awful.

Sorry to all Ford fans in advance.
Cheers
Tony

Old 08-26-2015, 04:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
I visited Timeless when this project was gutted and just got back from the shop that installed the 502. An option, not a cheap option, but an option.

http://www.timelesstraveltrailers.com/94moho
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #19
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
I visited Timeless when this project was gutted and just got back from the shop that installed the 502. An option, not a cheap option, but an option.

Vintage Airstream motorhome. Restored and remodeled ready for the road.
The wife watch that 345 being redone on an Extreme RV show. She said that the owner spent well over 50K on new subfloor, interior, engine and mechanicals but didn't touch the exterior; deciding to leave it ratty and old looking.

He has the very same motto I have.....If you want to keep something, don't make it attractive to someone else. I have a heavily modded KLR 650, which is now a 705, but wanted a touring seat custom made for my butt. I had my custom made seat covered in sh!t brown vinyl with a real glitzy gold vinyl as the insert. Other KLR guys almost puked when they saw it, and ask me what was I thinking. My response has always been; "the gold reflects light so my seat doesn't fry my package on hot days", "do you like it?" The response is always "Yeah, like the seat, but the colours are crap" Good I always say, then the seat stays on my bike.

Cheers
Tony

Old 08-27-2015, 07:00 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
We all had our experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
A 95 Ford is a Classic? You meant 75 Ford, right......

Sorry for Ford bashing a bit but my experience with Ford kinda left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Sorry to all Ford fans in advance.
Cheers
Tony
Hi, my one and only Chevy was my Mac Tools truck. Chevy P-30. This was also my worst vehicle ever. At 18,000 miles the engine blew up, at 25,000 miles the trans went out, and at 42,000 miles the new engine blew up too. [services were done at every 1,000 miles] When I replaced the truck with a Ford truck, some of my customers told me that I wouldn't be happy with a Ford truck because their transmissions were only good for 75,000 miles. "Well that's three times as far as I got with my Chevy trans."
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote