Old 08-25-2015, 04:56 PM   #15
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I would consider one if built on a Ford F-550 chassis.
FYI. The Ford F550 is a cab and chassis for a Class C motorhome, not Class A.

Ford however does make a F53 motorhome chassis for a Class A.

However, since the original Classics came with either an Isuzu or later on a Cummins power plant I'm thinking Ford would be a no go. Ford just doesn't have that "Je ne sais quoi" for us Classic guys.

By the way, arn't you that trailer guy that hates Canada?

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Now, now Tony! I drive a classic ford...a '95 F150!

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #17
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Now, now Tony! I drive a classic ford...a '95 F150!
A 95 Ford is a Classic? You meant 75 Ford, right......

Sorry for Ford bashing a bit but my experience with Ford kinda left a bitter taste in my mouth.

88 Merc Cougar LS 302 V8, 95 Ranger super cab 4.0 V6 The Merc cost me large in maintenance with front pads every year, rotors and front springs every two as the cars suspension was designed for the V6 not the V8. The car had a weird tire size so they cost more as the wheels were a four bolt, 14" rim. The headlamp switch cost me almost $500 for the part alone, as the headlamp switch was ganged with twilight sentinel and auto headlamp dimming.

The big thing I have found with Ford is the prolific use of SST bolts and fasteners. The bolts holding my driveshaft in place on the Ranger had 8 points. To get the sparkplugs out of the Ranger took me 20 minutes one side, 2 hours and scraped knuckles, the other. The other thing was I could only drive the Ranger for 45 minutes max in the Mustang seats which were horrible. Fords for some reason have the worst seats and driving position as I recently sat in an Explorer and it was bloody awful.

Sorry to all Ford fans in advance.
Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Old 08-26-2015, 04:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
I visited Timeless when this project was gutted and just got back from the shop that installed the 502. An option, not a cheap option, but an option.

http://www.timelesstraveltrailers.com/94moho
Old 08-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #19
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
I visited Timeless when this project was gutted and just got back from the shop that installed the 502. An option, not a cheap option, but an option.

Vintage Airstream motorhome. Restored and remodeled ready for the road.
The wife watch that 345 being redone on an Extreme RV show. She said that the owner spent well over 50K on new subfloor, interior, engine and mechanicals but didn't touch the exterior; deciding to leave it ratty and old looking.

He has the very same motto I have.....If you want to keep something, don't make it attractive to someone else. I have a heavily modded KLR 650, which is now a 705, but wanted a touring seat custom made for my butt. I had my custom made seat covered in sh!t brown vinyl with a real glitzy gold vinyl as the insert. Other KLR guys almost puked when they saw it, and ask me what was I thinking. My response has always been; "the gold reflects light so my seat doesn't fry my package on hot days", "do you like it?" The response is always "Yeah, like the seat, but the colours are crap" Good I always say, then the seat stays on my bike.

Cheers
Tony

Old 08-27-2015, 07:00 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
We all had our experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
A 95 Ford is a Classic? You meant 75 Ford, right......

Sorry for Ford bashing a bit but my experience with Ford kinda left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Sorry to all Ford fans in advance.
Cheers
Tony
Hi, my one and only Chevy was my Mac Tools truck. Chevy P-30. This was also my worst vehicle ever. At 18,000 miles the engine blew up, at 25,000 miles the trans went out, and at 42,000 miles the new engine blew up too. [services were done at every 1,000 miles] When I replaced the truck with a Ford truck, some of my customers told me that I wouldn't be happy with a Ford truck because their transmissions were only good for 75,000 miles. "Well that's three times as far as I got with my Chevy trans."

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Nice concept sketch, but not a realistic hope of that ever being produced.
Sadly I don't think Thor has the wherewithal to produce something so advanced.
Now, take a FRED chassis, add an aluminum structure and bond aluminum sheet to it with epoxy. All the main body sides would be staight and use standard aluminum sheets with a mild curve top to bottom. A design cue radius top and bottom. Top radius should hide awnings. Roof would be flat above that and walkable. Careful design of wall structure would isolate the aluminum exterior from interior.
Front and rear would be aerodynamic, with signature wrap around panoramic glass. Slide outs would be easy to incorporate if needed.
This body would be easy to produce in a modular fashion in various lengths.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Retro is the new in thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, my one and only Chevy was my Mac Tools truck. Chevy P-30. This was also my worst vehicle ever. At 18,000 miles the engine blew up, at 25,000 miles the trans went out, and at 42,000 miles the new engine blew up too. [services were done at every 1,000 miles] When I replaced the truck with a Ford truck, some of my customers told me that I wouldn't be happy with a Ford truck because their transmissions were only good for 75,000 miles. "Well that's three times as far as I got with my Chevy trans."

I'm not a Chevy hater or a Ford fan but I've driven a lot of gas powered commercial vehicles. They all seem to be working way to hard compared the the diesel powered stuff. They seem to be beat to death at 50k. Generally well maintained and used hard.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #23
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Since Tony shared, I have been looking into the FRED chassis; is the whole MH industry in the same boat (ie lack of wherewithal) as none of the motorhomes listed on the Freightliner site as using the FRED, a few (e.g Tiffin) seem to have dipped their toe a little but then backed off. Or maybe everyone that wants a new, off the shelf MH is happy with a van conversion, or a tricked out box truck, or a DP?????
Old 08-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Retro is the new in thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Since Tony shared, I have been looking into the FRED chassis; is the whole MH industry in the same boat (ie lack of wherewithal) as none of the motorhomes listed on the Freightliner site as using the FRED, a few (e.g Tiffin) seem to have dipped their toe a little but then backed off. Or maybe everyone that wants a new, off the shelf MH is happy with a van conversion, or a tricked out box truck, or a DP?????

There are pros and cons to both FRED and RED. Dirt is the biggest advantage of having the engine up front with nice clean ram air for cooling and breathing. Having the engine 30 feet away under a bed makes for a nice quiet ride. Running a driveshaft the length of the coach limits options on storage and poo tank installation. I saw a mid engine design that looked pretty awesome.

http://www.customchassisinc.com/midengine.html
Old 08-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
A Chevy p-30 chassis is a poor choice for a tool truck, but then again....it WAS a Brand X tool company truck and they don't usually carry to much inventory so it should have been fine. I on the other hand have been driving a Snap-On P-60 Chevy for 26 years with no breakdowns....powered by an 8.2 Litre turbo backed up by an Allison 540 transmission. Yup, 172,000 miles and still going strong.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #26
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
In the 2 pages of this thread we have covered:

Airstream Classic moho replacement
Uber expensive Porsche 911
Drooling over Frieght liner chassis with powerful front engine diesel power.
I have had my wrist smacked for Ford bashing or starting something else, I'm not sure.
Bashing Fords
Bashing Chevy's
Extreme RV's and a pretty wild 345 interior to....
Smack talking tools.

I love it
Cheers
Tony

Old 09-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
In the 2 pages of this thread we have covered:

Airstream Classic moho replacement
Uber expensive Porsche 911
Drooling over Frieght liner chassis with powerful front engine diesel power.
I have had my wrist smacked for Ford bashing or starting something else, I'm not sure.
Bashing Fords
Bashing Chevy's
Extreme RV's and a pretty wild 345 interior to....
Smack talking tools.

I love it
Cheers
Tony
Hi, as a mechanic I bought from all of the trucks, but mostly Mac and Snap-on; I chose to be a Mac man because they were always nice and the Snap-on guys always bad mouthed everyone else. I see things have still have not changed. I was happy to leave Mac tools on good terms and return to working at Ford dealers.

I said F-550 because of the size and I know it wasn't their motorhome chassis, but what I meant is that I wouldn't ever buy another Chevy whether it be in a motorhome or car. I chose Ford because they would be easier to get serviced and parts. Not that many Freightliner dealers around, even for big rigs. I like Freight liners, but not hunting for dealers; hard enough to find Airstream, dealers.

So build that Classic Motorhome on a Ford Chassis, gas or diesel, and watch them sell.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:54 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Santa Cruz , California
Here's another thing to cover in this thread -- people already doing over-the-top Airstream motorhome and trailer restorations. Have you all looked at the Hoffmann Architecture pages hofarc.com? His restorations *start* at $120,000. There are some good ideas there, not for everyone but good ideas. Note while you are looking at his home page that it's not a single graphic, but with birds and dogs moving through the frame if you watch it long enough.