Old 09-01-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Ham Lake , Minnesota
Replacing 6" bathroom fans on my 345

The bathroom fans in our Classic 345 have been a little noisy since we bought it 11 years ago. The one in the shower especially so. So after 11 years of suffering the noise I'm replacing them.

Here is the fan above the shower:

One blade left, probably was not moving much air. The cover had been cracked and glued before we bought the motorhome. That created a touch point for the back side of the impeller, making a nice squealing noise.

Edit: Just noticed in the photo that the drain hole had been caulked shut. That isn't good.

I got the fan housing out and found dirt between the calk beads.

I cleaned everything up using a very sharp wood chisel to shave the old caulk/sealer from the aluminium, then used a little elbow grease and 400 wet/dry sandpaper to take off the last of the old sealer.

The fan above the toilet is in much better shape but the motor is a little noisy after 29 years of use. The caulk/sealer seems to be working better too.

The grey sealer on both sides is hard and brittle. The white sealer is still soft and sticky after 29 years.

I stopped at the local travel trailer dealership and picked up new grey roof caulk/sealer and a roll of the sticky white stuff. $25.

So does anyone have a recommendation for removing this old sticky sealer?

For being 29 years old this sticky white sealer has a tenacious hold on the inside of the roof. I scraped off what I could using that same wood chisel, and it was slow going, but some remains firmly attached to the interior of the roof. Or does it make any difference as long as the new stuff provides a good seal around the housing and all the screw holes?

I plan to make the same two beads of grey sealer when I put the new fan housings into the roof.

Second question: Stainless Steel Screws. Bad Idea? The old screws were quite rusty. I think stainless will hold up better, and someone may want to replace these fans again in another 29 years.

Last question: Wire Nuts and tape or crimp connections? The shower side had crimp connectors, the toilet side had wire nuts (no tape). I think I'm going with new wire nuts and tape, but I'm listening for any good advice.

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
No1: I hope that grey caulk roof sealer is Vulcum or Sikiflex 221; if not, throw it away or return it as it unsuitable for use on aluminium.

No 2: Stainless steel screws are the very best screw to use. Put a dab of Vulcum or Sikiflexx 221 under the head and around the head after install.

N03: The interior sealant is Vulcum, use a wedge shaped wooden scrapper to get it off. If some is still left, the new sealant will bond to it.

N0 4: Wire nuts, butt connectors or bullet connectors are acceptable means of connecting wire; however nothing beats hitting the connection with some solder first.

Goodluck with the new fans. Where did you buy them from?

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
Hey Tony,
i have found ANY part for the "VENTLINE" bathroom & shower vent online, very affordable @ "e-trailer.com" , very good service, prompt delivery (not to Germany...! My friends Bill and Peter forwarded them to me!)
To replace the fanblade only is not possible, the mount hole is far smaller, than the pin on the motor. The new motor is much smaller then the old one, but does his job well.
You need to drill the motor bracket, a drill template come's with the motor.
If you want to replace it completely, also "e-trailer.com" has a brand-new unit for about 65,-$ available.
We have a different caulking available here in Germany, called "DEKASEAL 8936" made by Dekaline. It's a non hardening sealent, easy to apply, a so called "easy dab-off" sealant. Works extremely easy and seals very, very well. Not to use as replacement for Vulkem, or SIKAFLEX 221, but for any purposes to install something like vents, windowframes, water inlets etc.
It's made in the Netherlands, check www.dekalin.com
Best, Marcus
Old 09-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Ham Lake , Minnesota
Thanks for the replies. Here is some additional information.

We ordered our fans from out of doors mart:
http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...roducts_id=385

They were not cheap, and shipping was a bit more expensive than expected. My wife found similar products on Amazon. They were close but not exactly the same. Uncertainty of the fit led to getting the Ventline fan, and it is an exact match for the ones I removed.

The greay caulk/sealer is Dicor self leveling lap sealant.

Looks like a similar thing that out of doors mart sells.
http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...roducts_id=562

The roll of sealer is not branded.

And this too looks similar to what out of doors mart sells in their kit.
http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...roducts_id=939

What do you think? Should I return the sealers bought locally and start looking on-line for the Vulcum and Sikiflex?
Old 09-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
You should!
Vulkem is the OEM Sealer, used by Airstream, SIKAFLEX 221 is a more modern product, has a longer time to work with.
DEKALINE is the product to get for vents etc. It's easy to apply, very good to work with.
Any other product -may- attack the aluminium, if it's "acis-based" (it smells like cheap & strong vinegar...! A silicone based sealer is definitive wrong, it's also a mass to work with.
I had to learn this, once i resealed the awning supports....!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472936240.069185.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	270684
Made improved awning supports, but used the wrong sealer...!
Now, after about 18 month it's "open" again....🙄!

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472936381.827985.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	270685
Looked that good not for long!
I will definitifly reseal it with SIKAFLEX 221, because VULKEM is not available in Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums!
Old 09-04-2016, 08:22 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Ham Lake , Minnesota
Do you mean Vulkem 116
From: http://www.tremcosealants.com/products/vulkem-116.aspx

Vulkem® 116 is a multi-purpose, single-component, moisture-curing, gungrade polyurethane sealant.

Basic Uses

Vulkem 116 is an excellent general-purpose sealant designed for use on poured and precast concrete, masonry work, window and door perimeters, and similar types of construction joints. Vulkem 116 is approved for exterior use only.

No mention of aluminium, so I suspect I found the wrong Vulkem.

Meanwhile I found Sikaflex-221, Aluminum Gray, on Amazon for $12.20 (Prime). I think I'll order a tube.

Thanks,

- Paul
Old 09-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
The "good" VULKEM you'll find @ "wwwvintagetrailersupply.com" , but SIKAFLEX 221 is also good, maybe better, if you are not an "original-maniac".
VULKEM was used since decades from AIRSTREAM.
I still recomend DEKALINE....!

Old 09-05-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
Found this, as i browsed for VULKEM at "airstreamsupply":

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1473102832.365653.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	270899

Old 09-06-2016, 06:29 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Ham Lake , Minnesota
Thanks for the advice. The Sikaflex-221will be here tomorrow and I should be able to reassemble the two fans over the weekend.

The sealer for Roequefort's awning support looks ugly. Lap sealer is for roofs only, not side walls, as it is supposed to level out on it's own. On a side wall leveling out means falling onto the ground. No place for a lap sealant... and the curved roof of our AirStreams may spell trouble for lap sealants unless you are right at the center.