Old 09-23-2005, 06:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Sandi- the step is not worth repairing. I am afraid that the good folks at Airstream used up all of thier good ideas on this coach and were plumb exhausted when it came to the step. If you do get it working you will find that even when fully extended it will not be enough to safely exit and enter; plus the wobble gives new meaning to word tipsy. I am investigating replacing mine with a sturdy two step electric. In fact I was at the dealer yesterday with the coach and they took measurments.
I am certain you will learn to love your 280 as we have ours.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:59 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
St. Matthews , South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Snadi Send a message via Yahoo to Snadi
Chaplin Kent, please keep me posted on your step progress. My husband checked what he could on the step but so far, nothing. I would love to know what you replace yours with.

My motorhome is growing on me everyday. I was really discouraged the night before last when everything we touched seemed to go wrong, but Smily helped me with my generator problem and last night things seemed to come together. I am headed out today for my first couple overnights. I am meeting Smily and family at a small campground on the lake where I can hook everything up and give it the real test. I am looking forward to it. Cross your fingers. If things go well, I will head to Talladega in it next week for almost a week of dry camping. I guess that will be the true test!

Thanks for the help.

Sandi

Member SC Coastal Unit 150 and Friend of Chuck
Snadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 04:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I will be riding with you in spirit. You are fortunate to have Smiley close by for the shake down outing. Our Chummy always behaves well for us but leaves just enough for me to stay busy fixing things when we get home. He is the perfect coach.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:57 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
step replacement

Hi,
I'm don't know what the dimensions of your step are but......we just replaced the single step setup on our 03 Safari with the two step version that the factory is putting on the new ones. Works great!
Old 09-25-2005, 05:59 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
The step is fixed!

We have returned from our maiden voyage and yes, Chaplin Kent, we are extremely fortunate to be near Smily. We camped at a great spot right on the lake, the weather was great, and Smily did it again!

Smily fixed my step first. It was a leak in the vacuum. He examined it for a while and then said he had figured it out. Sure enough, a few minutes later he had it working. Next on the list was the leveling jacks. After a few minutes of trouble shooting he traced the problem to a blown fuse and now they work!!! That was yesterday. He also had time to cook a few meals, take the kids and my husband out in the boat, have a few beverages, and visit with several friends that came by. What a guy!!!

Then this morning, he fixed my signal lights and then made my remote switch on the generator work, all before lunch. This goes to show what wonderful people have airstreams and how lucky we are to have these forums and good friends like Smily. I hope he knows how much I appreciate his help.

With the weekend behind me and most everything in order thanks to Ken, I plan to head to Talladega in the motorhome this week. And it may have a name by the time I return (where did the name Chummy come from?). Or maybe Talladega might not be the best place to come up with a name.

Anyway, thanks again to Smily for all his help. I really do appreciate you.

Sandi
Old 09-26-2005, 07:03 AM   #20
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Vacuum Leak

The steps were not working because there was a leak in the Vacuum system up the line.

The leak was under the dog house. Reconnected the leaking hose and the system was tight enough to "collapse" the tubing going to the diverter solenoid.

Glad to be of help and I learned a thing or two along the way.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
(where did the name Chummy come from?).

Our three year old grandson named our motor home Chummy. If you still have your copy of this month's Blue Beret look at the back page pictures and you will see a picture of our grandson "driving" our Chummy. That was the day we brought him home and he was named. (Chummy, not our grandson)
I am very happy you got all those items fixed. Don't worry there will be more to fix later. Does your step wobble? I even use a stabilizer and it still wobbles, plus it just does not come out far enough. However, I do use a cane to manuever and that make a difference. We are still waiting for the dealer's verdict on a new step.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:12 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
I'll keep working on a name!

As for the step, it is a tad wobbly and no it doesn't stick out very far. I have one of those really sturdy old hospital step stools that I have had for years and I put it on the ground and with that to step on first it really helps. I am sure the cane would complicate things but the step stool really does help, and it fits nicely under one of the chairs for transportation.

Everything seems to be coming along nicely and I am very pleased with my new motorhome so far!

Sandi