Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
WayneG, My 83 31" Classic drain covers on the front windows fit different. The two forward ones are flat against the frame and the two rear drains have a hump dead center of the opening that makes them rock up and down. In the pic the black cover fits fine and the gray looking one rocks due to hump in frame. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drain cover.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	328619  
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3444 View Post
WayneG, My 83 31" Classic drain covers on the front windows fit different. The two forward ones are flat against the frame and the two rear drains have a hump dead center of the opening that makes them rock up and down. In the pic the black cover fits fine and the gray looking one rocks due to hump in frame. Hope this helps.
I will have to take a close look at mine in a few days, I did not look at the front covers.
In your photo it looks like the angled metal is over the fixed front window and the flat metal is over the sliding part of the front window?
Old 11-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
My fault, that is right on window location it starts bulging on the frame on the sliding window section.
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3444 View Post
My fault, that is right on window location it starts bulging on the frame on the sliding window section.
Actually, my fault, I thought the front glass was the slider.

(Boy, I gotta visit my MH more, before I forget which side the door is on!)

I found a old photo that shows the front glass on mine and it also looks too not have a angle on it.
When I get back to work on the project, I may have to make 2 styles, with and without a angle.

This project is officially on hold, Today is a bus ride to Boston in the snow.
I am one of those people who NEVER, EVER likes to have someone else driving me!

Last time I was on a Greyhound was in the mid 70's, coming home on leave for the first time from Air Force tech school.

Ever since then, I have been behind the wheel of 99.9% of all road vehicles I have been in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	window.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	328639  
Old 11-27-2018, 05:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
I bought the PRUSA i3 MK3 kit
https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/180-original-prusa-i3-mk3-kit.html
I have the MMU unit on order to do multi color/types of filaments. Fun toys for winter doldrums
Wayne, that looks like a pretty decent 3d printer. I've been thinking about getting a printer but the low end stuff just doesn't seem worth the expense and for the moment I can't justify in my mind why I need one to begin with!

I think I'll sit and watch your progress while I ponder

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Wayne, that looks like a pretty decent 3d printer. I've been thinking about getting a printer but the low end stuff just doesn't seem worth the expense and for the moment I can't justify in my mind why I need one to begin with!

I think I'll sit and watch your progress while I ponder

Brad

One of my printing projects involves the MRI's they did of my brain.

It took a lot of software, but I did get a successful print at 60% size but the 100% had some errors.
This is the 60% version
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Brain.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	328640  
Old 11-27-2018, 06:10 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:

It took a lot of software, but I did get a successful print at 60% size but the 100% had some errors.
This is the 60% version
Hmm, are you looking to do a transplant.....?!

3-D printing is pretty amazing stuff.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 11-27-2018, 07:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:

This is the 60% version
That's very impressive!!
How many times did you have to ask for the raw MRI data files?!?

When my wife broke 5 ribs they showed us the MRI pictures, I asked if it was possible to get the data files and got a bunch of blank and very confused stares
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Wayne, does your Prusa have the powder coated sheet or the smooth PEI sheet?
Old 11-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Wayne, does your Prusa have the powder coated sheet or the smooth PEI sheet?
They were having problems with the powder coated sheet, I have the smooth sheet. It is OK but getting some bubbles in the center where all my prints were landing, now I move them around to even out the usage.

BTW, first time on a bus in over 30 years, it aint the same, people smell bad on buses these days
Old 11-27-2018, 03:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
They were having problems with the powder coated sheet, I have the smooth sheet. It is OK but getting some bubbles in the center where all my prints were landing, now I move them around to even out the usage.
I read about the production quality issues with the powder coated sheets. I will say you certainly have me thinking about getting one......

Quote:
BTW, first time on a bus in over 30 years, it aint the same, people smell bad on buses these days
It's been 34+ years for me. I hope too not have to experience it again!
Old 11-28-2018, 03:27 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
I read about the production quality issues with the powder coated sheets. I will say you certainly have me thinking about getting one......
These printers are fun and frustrating. Like with a Airstream, if you have time and patience, it is fun.

These weep hole covers take about 30 min each to print. There is more to do to improve the covers. For me the time consuming part is learning 3d cad. I can draw a lot of things in 2d cad because it is like drawing on paper. when you get to 3d it is drawing in open space, and I have my difficulties trying to locate where to put a point in 3d, but I am still learning.
The longer weep hole covers for the rear windows leave open a lot of options for design improvements, along with making them look sexier. You could make them bullet shaped or even like a mini motorhome?

Off for a dose of meds at noon, hopefully I wont be a droolin fool when I get back to my hotel room, and I will be able to use my laptop
Old 11-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
These printers are fun and frustrating. Like with a Airstream, if you have time and patience, it is fun.

These weep hole covers take about 30 min each to print. There is more to do to improve the covers. For me the time consuming part is learning 3d cad. I can draw a lot of things in 2d cad because it is like drawing on paper. when you get to 3d it is drawing in open space, and I have my difficulties trying to locate where to put a point in 3d, but I am still learning.
The longer weep hole covers for the rear windows leave open a lot of options for design improvements, along with making them look sexier. You could make them bullet shaped or even like a mini motorhome?

Off for a dose of meds at noon, hopefully I wont be a droolin fool when I get back to my hotel room, and I will be able to use my laptop
Like you, I've done a lot of 2D cad work. More electrical than mechanical but enough to know my way around the earlier versions of Autocad. 3D cad will be a whole new experience.

I hope the meds don't hit you to hard!

Brad
Old 12-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Well, I survived that ordeal, at least so far
Right now I am back at 3D printing.
I am trying to tune the printer for polycarbonate with some test prints.
These printers can be more cantankerous that a classic motorhome! There are more adjustments than there are for tuning a 454.

I am starting with some configuration files that were done by others, but on older printers, so I need to do some tweaking.
Once I have that "dialed in" I will try some more covers for the front. I am starting to draw up covers for the rear windows.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:55 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Well, I survived that ordeal, at least so far
Right now I am back at 3D printing.
I am trying to tune the printer for polycarbonate with some test prints.
These printers can be more cantankerous that a classic motorhome! There are more adjustments than there are for tuning a 454.

I am starting with some configuration files that were done by others, but on older printers, so I need to do some tweaking.
Once I have that "dialed in" I will try some more covers for the front. I am starting to draw up covers for the rear windows.
Glad to hear you're still up and kicking

I broke down Thursday and ordered a Prusa for myself. Now the learning experience begins!

Brad
Old 12-01-2018, 10:34 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Glad to hear you're still up and kicking

I broke down Thursday and ordered a Prusa for myself. Now the learning experience begins!

Brad

It will be fun, Just like the MH, be ready to throw more money at it for various, this and thats

Interesting there is only a 1 to 3 week lead time. When I ordered mine it was 1 to 3 months
Old 12-01-2018, 12:22 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
It will be fun, Just like the MH, be ready to throw more money at it for various, this and thats
Ah yes, another mone pit just what I needed...

Quote:
Interesting there is only a 1 to 3 week lead time. When I ordered mine it was 1 to 3 months
Prior to placing the order I chatted with one of their reps and they indicated shipping should be approximately 4 days after receipt of order. That is for one in kit form. I guess I'll know for sure in a week or two.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #38

1969 23' Safari
Burleson , Texas
Wayneg,
I'm in the same boat. Experienced with cad and just beginning with 3d. It took me 3 days to get text inset on a curved surface, like you said, I still have my oven mitts on. I just ordered some high temp PLA to try out. A company called makergeek sells it as HTPLA Raptor. It can be annealed in a oven after printing to make it withstand outdoor heat in our campers (I'm in Texas). Supposedly stronger that PET and ABS and reasonably priced. Not sure if it will smooth out with acetone like PLA, but seems appealing, Just FYI , keep up the good work.
https://www.makergeeks.com/collections/raptor-series-pla/products/raptor-series-pla-high-performance-3d-filament-true-black-175mm-1kg
Chris43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Ah yes, another mone pit just what I needed...

Prior to placing the order I chatted with one of their reps and they indicated shipping should be approximately 4 days after receipt of order. That is for one in kit form. I guess I'll know for sure in a week or two.
Definitely a money pit, but much less of a BOAT and more of a BOAH (break out another hundred )
If you're comparing side by side with the Airstream, you won't even notice

I found mine too be more of a tinkering time pit to be honest, a couple hundred for an upgrade, and a few months tinkering with it
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris43 View Post
Wayneg,
I'm in the same boat. Experienced with cad and just beginning with 3d. It took me 3 days to get text inset on a curved surface, like you said, I still have my oven mitts on. I just ordered some high temp PLA to try out. A company called makergeek sells it as HTPLA Raptor. It can be annealed in a oven after printing to make it withstand outdoor heat in our campers (I'm in Texas). Supposedly stronger that PET and ABS and reasonably priced. Not sure if it will smooth out with acetone like PLA, but seems appealing, Just FYI , keep up the good work.
https://www.makergeeks.com/collectio...lack-175mm-1kg
Thanks

So far the polycarbonate is doing OK for the black covers on the cockpit windows. I cant find PC in silver or grey for the other windows and may have to go to PET. Both are high temp and even at 150F neither should warp when outdoors. The head temp on the printer is above 150C which is over 300F.
As for the acetone smoothing, I think that only works with ABS. These covers are simple enough that some sanding with a belt sander should be all they need. You can always use a heat gun to give them a shine (carefully)