Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
Harry P

1995 36' Classic 36
Elk Grove Village , Illinois
Refrigerator warming while driving

Has anyone experienced and fixed a problem I am experiencing with my fridge? I have a 95 36' Classic MH, and have seen a rise in fridge temps after driving only. The fridge works fine while stopped, hot or cold outside.

If I begin driving, fridge temp will go from 38 degrees to about 60 after a couple of hours on the road. I usually drive on propane, but I get the same results using DC or AC (generator running).

I have serviced the burner, cleaned the chimney, set pressures, I also have a fan blowing up across condenser tubes all the time.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any advice.
harryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Lightbulb

I'm not an expert on these, but I have a few hypotheses.

The reefer unit is either pumping less heat out while driving, or the box is allowing more heat in. I'd start by determining if the freezer plate shows signs of not freezing anymore; the pattern of ice melting on it would be different if less heat is being pumped out (ice thaws from plate outward, across most or all of plate, ice comes loose in sheets) or more heat getting into box (edges and fringes of plate thawing, but a goodly patch of ice still frozen solid to plate). This is the first branch of the diagnostic tree.

If the reefer unit is chilling less, perhaps the chimney is causing way too much draft while moving. This could cause the chiller to absorb less heat from the flame, as well as possibly sink away heat produced by electric power, thus providing less chilling while driving.

OTOH, if the reefer still pumps the same amount of heat but more heat gets in, perhaps there is missing/damaged insulation that allows heated air from around the hot parts to blow against the outside of the box. An infared thermometer or thermal imaging device would help here, see if there are warm areas while driving. Many modern cameras have a night vision feature that is sensitive to IR. Also is there a light that somehow stays on when the engine is running?

-SilverSausage

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Have you checked to see how the door is sealing against the door frame ? Mine has a tendency to open just a bit while underway. That'll warm your refer in a hurry. I just cleaned the mating surfaces and it works much better. I still need to find a new door gasket with the magnetic strip in it though.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote