Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1982 31' Airstream 310
Columbia , Maryland
Reducing number of rooftop air conditioners

So, I'm contemplating going down to one rooftop ac on my '82 310. My thought would be to remove the two current roof tops that are at either end and replace with one located in the center. My 31' sovereign has one central ac and we have been fine with it. Also, I would put fantastic fans on each end where the current ACs are.

Anybody ever try this or have thoughts?
demondeacon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
We have an '84 310 and have indeed had the same thought. Next time we are planning a warm weather trip the front unit will get replaced, and we will shed the rear unit.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Boulder , Colorado

This is just a "pipe" dream but I've thought of how nice it would be to have a clean roof. Just some flush fitting sky lights, vents, and solar panels with all the HVAC mounted within the body. I have a big area in the nose and grill space where the engine was designed to fit. Maybe replace the Engine driven A/C pump with a generator so it could be run on the road without running the onan. Again just a pipe dream.

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Col...rs_c_2504.html

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Air Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Just curious, what is motivating your thinking on removing and relocating? It would sure clean up the looks if there were no AC on top of my 310 but i dont think we would be able to take the heat. If you were to downsize to just one ac would you just go with a 15000btu?
I rewired the rear and added an additional shore power chord so it can run off the genset or shore power.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
https://sites.google.com/site/shoppi...ad---5500-watt

Why couldn't you take that Coleman 2-ton, and this belt driven generator and do just that?
Old 08-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Boulder , Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
https://sites.google.com/site/shoppi...ad---5500-watt

Why couldn't you take that Coleman 2-ton, and this belt driven generator and do just that?

Eliminate the A/C pump and alternator and the power draw might not be that much more. Running it on speed would be an issue off the engine. Perhaps a DC generator to the batteries and an inverter like the new hybrid gen sets use.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?autoplay=1&v=ef-qFE8be98

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Air Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1982 31' Airstream 310
Columbia , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Just curious, what is motivating your thinking on removing and relocating? It would sure clean up the looks if there were no AC on top of my 310 but i dont think we would be able to take the heat. If you were to downsize to just one ac would you just go with a 15000btu?
I rewired the rear and added an additional shore power chord so it can run off the genset or shore power.
So, I just spent 10 days down at Myrtle Beach. Running of the generator I can run both roof top ACs, but on shore power, I can run one or the other. So, while we were in the campground, we had an ongoing game of tug of war switching between the front and back AC. In my setup, kids sleep in the back and grownups sleep up front.

That leaves me with a couple of options, up grade the shore power to 50 amp, or try a single central rooftop AC. Having made many hot summer trips in my sovereign, which is also 31' but has a single central rooftop AC, made me think of trying that setup with my 310. Also, we've noticed that a lot of state and local parks do not have 50 amp.

On my current 310 AC setup I have two rooftops, one forward and one aft, with a fantastic fan in the middle. My thought was to remove the forward and aft AC, which are showing their age, and replace with a new 15,000 BTU (leaning towards the Dometic Brisk Air II) in the center. Then I would install fantastic fans where the original forward and aft ACs were. This would also help me with air circulation when I am camping in national parks without any hookups.
demondeacon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Just an idea here. So ive got the 30amp service, front and rear ac, and front and rear MAXXAIR vent fans. Same year 310 as yours. Rear ac only runs off generator. Front ac runs off generator or shore power. What i did was rewire the rear ac so it can run off shore power or the generator. I added an additional 110v 20amp shore power chord and a small breaker panel. It works great but it does require that the campground has a 30amp AND a 15/20amp outlet to plug into in order to run both ac off shore power. We havent been RVing very long but, every place we have gone so far has a 30amp and 15/20amp on the service pole.
Like i said just an idea, might save you a great deal of moola and work. If it interests you at all feel free to pm me and i can send you some pics of the wiring. Regardless, good luck and happy trails.
Mike
Old 08-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Don't know about your ceiling set-up, but I have a center panel that runs the length of my Classic. Always wondered if there was enough room to create some sort of ductwork in that space so I could remove the ceiling panels of the A/C units.

I really do like the idea of 2-ton Central A/C unit but don't know if my one storage space would be sufficient for something of that size. Plus, the storage unit is located directly below my bed. Do I want something that I know is going to create some sort of noise that close to me? Then if I did decide to go this route, do I have enough space for the required ductwork? Lots of questions to be answered first.

Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
1993 36' Classic 36
Huger , South Carolina
Additional 30 power supply to rear AC

I was reading the thread about adding an additional power supply to the rear AC. Being a new owner of a '93 36' classic MH I am very interested in doing this. I would appreciate any info and pictures anyone has on this.
Thanks in advance
Marty
mtlagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
On my 310, when I had it, both AC units were necessary to keep the thing cool when it was around 100 degrees outside, even in low humidity situations. I also re wired mine so I could use either the front or rear AC on grid power as well as the generator. But one 13500 buth unit would not cool mine and I am sure even a 15,000 would not do it.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Mtlagger,
Each model moho is a bit different in how they are set up but, if you can isolate the feed from the generator to the rear ac then you can go about interrupting that feed and adding an additional shore power chord. On my 310 the feed from the genset to the rear ac entered the coach next to the genset enclosure and into a junction box. The genset feed tied to the wire going to the rear ac inside that box. So that made it very simple to disconnect it right there and then go about the modifications. Ive read where some people have used a switch to go between shore power or generator at that point. I chose to do it a bit different where now I physically plug the ac into one of two added duplex outlets. One of those outlets is powered by the generator and the other outlet is powered by the added shore power chord. I also added a small breaker panel with a 20amp breaker for protection. Its a pretty simple install compared to others ive seen. But I like simple.
I have some pictures somewhere that Ill add if I can find them. The set up in my 310 is located under the frame of what once was a rear couch.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1425823130.636827.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	233825

Outlet on right goes to generator. Outlet on left goes to new shore power chord. Male plug goes to new breaker panel that feeds the ac unit.
Clear as mud right?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 03-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
One more thing then Ill shut up. The addition of the second shore power chord has allowed us to run an addition 1500 watt heater when needed without using up all of our 30amp primary juice. Though I installed this with ac in mind its come in real handy for heat also.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
1993 36' Classic 36
Huger , South Carolina
Mayco
Thanks for the picture and info.
This coach has a male plug mounted in a box with a 20amp circuit breaker mounted in it also. The power cord that plugs into it ...I am assuming goes only to the rear AC...is a female plug. All of this is in the generator compartment. I have yet to get the genset to run and make power. Another issue ..We had a guy in your unit that did what you did..or what I want to do. His additional 30 amp cord was in the back compartment/ trunk. From what I remember it was a very clean conversion.

Marty

Marty
Old 03-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Yes Marty thats where my chord is located also. It runs out of the outlet, through the floor, across a frame rail, and is coiled up inside my rear compartment with the 30amp chord. Works good so far.
If that female plug does indeed go to your rear ac then you should be able to make up a power chord to plug into the campground service pole. Making sure of course you have proper circuit protection at the coach. I wonder if that is the typical set up for the 360. Could be. You may be halfway home in getting it done.