Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2006, 05:36 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Unhappy Rear Light Cluster

I am in need of the rear light clusters for a 1983 310 Motor Home. I have tried several "suppliers" but no one replies.

I have bad gaskets on the frame and the lenses, that need replacing and the chrome is "bubbly" it feels that the slightest pressure cleaning them would tear the ‘chrome’.

Any body have any ideas?

Thank you in advance
Chuck
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:01 AM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Have you tried the factory? They are quite helpful.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:20 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Yes I did, but no reply as yet.....
Old 05-19-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Columbia , Tennessee
My 310 has the same problem with the chrome. If I can not find new ones, I'm thinking of bead blasting the chrome off and painting the housings. The gaskets behind the metal light housing is a thin rubber. I'm going to cut some new gaskets from some rubber sheet and one for the new lens' that I got from Vintage supply.

If there is a supply for the housings, I would be intrested in 2!
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Funny! Since my posting and many requests elsewhere, I have received several reply's with the same comments. There are a lot of chaps (and chapessess!) out there looking for these light clusters......

Surely someone is making them...and the gaskets....

Out of interest Vintage Trailer could offer a chrome finished plastic job, but they appear flat. I am not too sure about them. Perhaps some one near to them could take a look..

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome52112.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	21497  
Old 05-19-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Chrome

Gentlemen: Chrome can be re-chromed. I got together with friends and had most all of the bronze/chrome deck fittings done on several sailboats some years ago. The more stuff you have done, the cheaper it should be. Check locally for shops which do this sort of work. In the US, its usually found under "plating" in the phone book. No clue in the UK--but it should be similar.

Best,

Rob
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:18 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralley
Gentlemen: Chrome can be re-chromed. I got together with friends and had most all of the bronze/chrome deck fittings done on several sailboats some years ago. The more stuff you have done, the cheaper it should be. Check locally for shops which do this sort of work. In the US, its usually found under "plating" in the phone book. No clue in the UK--but it should be similar.

Best,

Rob
Rob, are you saying that these surround frames are metal of sorts? I was told that they are resin/GRP/plastic, W.H.Y. I haven't attempted to delve into the frames, not until I have at least one replacement, in case I make them worse. Bubbly from a distance does not look too bad!

I would like the correct gaskets though.... and still no reply from any of our esteemed suppliers!

Chuck