Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Good low cost CCTV camera.

I use a camera from Harbor Freight on my camper. I'll be installing one on my AS soon.
It's around $40.00, good resolution, has weatherproof housing with mic, runs on 12 vdc, and has AV connection with 50 foot cord.
It also has "night illumination" L.E.D.'s. for after dark.
You'll have to make a splice for the connection between the TV and trailer, and you'll need your own monitor. Any small television/monitor will work if it has AV input (Yellow RCA plug).
It's 4 conductor, so you can use a weatherproof phone jack, or you can use the 12 volts off the trailer battery as long as you have the ground connection between the TV and trailer. Really simple hookup. (12 volts positive, negative ground, video, audio.) If you have a "spare" pin on your trailer plug, you can feed just the video through it.
Cheap, effective, and lasts. I've had one on the front of my house for 5 years.
edglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw
Was at AutoZone today, saw this setup. Realize that the screen is ultra small, but for the price???
Peak/Wireless back-up camera system with 2.4 in. LCD monitor (PKC0RA-01) | Back-Up Camera System | AutoZone.com
I actually bought the same unit about a month ago. I intend on using it on the MH, but I installed it on my 20 foot enclosed ATV trailer for my trip to the sand dunes in Oregon. It worked out better then I expected. I actually wired the camera to work full time and not just in reverse. I think it was a great safety addition. I could see cars and 18 wheelers coming up behind me. It is wide angle so cars are closer to you then they seem in the camera. It was great for passing cars and trucks and knowing when I could safety pull back I to the right lane. It was probably at its max range for the wireless monitor and the signal would go out every once in a while, but the benefits certainly out weighted this disadvantage. In assuming it should work better in the MH with the transmitter and receiver located in the same vehicle. It was one of those impulse buys at the cash register, but I am very happy I did and you can't beat the price.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
From most of the digging that I've done on this subject, the Voyager brand seems to be the class of the field. My moho came with nothing in the way of cameras or monitors, but here's the one I'll be using. This is the housing only, that is available for left, right or roof center mounting. I like the streamlined shape that's available in chrome finish to match the polished aluminum.

Charly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SIDHSGCRM_full.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	143558  
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Camera & Monitor

Here's a $35.00 camera, and $25.00 dual input monitor I'll be using in my AS and TV.

Name:	cctv_camera.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	143623

Name:	Monitor.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	143624
Old 10-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
edglen, please tell us where you found this setup! Looks good, and jeez, what a great price! Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
The CCTV camera I get from Harbor Freight.
I've used several on my house for security (connects right to the aux input of the television) and the resolution is very good. It's lasted for 5 years with no problem. The audio is good, too. You have to use a dab of silicone where the cable enters the housing (which is sealed and gasketed), the grommet isn't sufficient to prevent fogging. It runs on 12 volts DC, one power, one negative, one audio, and one video. The factory uses a 4 conductor phone cable, which works fine. I modified mine to plug into a standard phone jack for ease of installation, since the distance was further than the supplied 50' cable.
I installed one one my 1970 Mowhawk Honorbuilt trailer, and it works fine.
These cameras are far better than the old junky ones they used to sell.
The 3.5" LCD monitor I ordered on EBAY (Part #220871253052) from Hong Kong. $25 and free delivery. Sorry, but I can't even get an Amercian company to return my phone calls for less than $25. Too bad, really.
The LCD displays usually last only a year or two, but for $25, I can afford that every couple years. It plugs right into the cigarette lighter. You'll have to do a little wiring and routing to get the wires from the trailer to the cab of the TV, but that isn't too hard.
I plan on using a toggle switch to select the video feed (One camera will be pointed directly down to the tow-ball/hitch, so I can hook up solo, the other camera will be on the trailer, mounted above the bathroom window.) I can route the wires through the vanity cabinet, along the inside of the trailer, to the front connector.
I'll be posting pics pretty soon of the "Aerojava" trailer. It's almost ready.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Edglenn, was at Harbor Freight this past Sunday, guess another trip is in order! Thanks for the tips on where to purchase. Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
You're welcome!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #29
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
The Silver Bullet has and original 'KG' (out of business) back-up camera and monitor. It didn't work when I bought it, what's it been, 14 years ago. It runs on 24VDC and the power supply toasted. I found a 110AC to 24 VDC convertor. So I put a 12VDC to 110AC convertor in the dash then plugged the 110AC to 24 VDC into it and the system has worked very since. It added to the wiring nightmare behind the dash is all.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote