Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Rear Awning on '89 370

I've ordered the back awning (meaning rear of the coach) from Zip Dee for my '89 370. I can't believe this coach was ordered from A/S with every available option but the rear awning . It's identical to the ones on the 345, 325, and 290 from that year (and likely other years as well). It's listed as 47" in the A/S brochure. Does anyone with that awning have closeup pictures of the top rail and mounting brackets for the arms you could post on the forum? I am familiar with the process, but nothing helps like pictures when doing a project so seldom. Thanks for anything you can offer, including advice.

Tim
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Document when you do it!

Tim -

Been admiring your coach through the ether.... Ain't cyberspace the bomb...!?

Anyway, sorry to say that I can't help you with the awning mount question, but did want to say that you should be sure to document your install with copious photos for the 'next' person so follow - there are sure to be others.

Question, does your coach not have the dark tinted "Protectors" that most front and rear windows seem to have?? I ask, since my coach also has awnings everywhere but on the front and rear Wrap around windows (rare from all I can gather!). They do however have the dark tinted covers that act both as a light break/ privacy screen and as rain protection ie - you can open the windows in any rain up to severe and they fend off all but the horizontal stuff.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Tim -

Been admiring your coach through the ether.... Ain't cyberspace the bomb...!?

Anyway, sorry to say that I can't help you with the awning mount question, but did want to say that you should be sure to document your install with copious photos for the 'next' person so follow - there are sure to be others.

Question, does your coach not have the dark tinted "Protectors" that most front and rear windows seem to have?? I ask, since my coach also has awnings everywhere but on the front and rear Wrap around windows (rare from all I can gather!). They do however have the dark tinted covers that act both as a light break/ privacy screen and as rain protection ie - you can open the windows in any rain up to severe and they fend off all but the horizontal stuff.

Axel
Axel,

Thanks for the compliments on the coach. I can't take credit since I just got it, but I sure appreciate my relative's generosity. I agree about cyberspace. I was able to send the entire sales brochure for 1989 to Fred who runs the Class A Airstream Motorhome Archives, and he was then able to put that on his section on floorplans - since 1989 was a year he had been missing.

I'm glad you suggested the I document the installation of the awning. Oddly, I hadn't thought of that, even though I'm asking for someone else to send theirs.

Concerning the wrap around protectors, If they're what I'm thinking, I've seen them many times, but only on trailers. They attach with clips. The MoHo front windshield has such a sharp slant and is so large that I doubt that would work. Maybe someone with a MoHo can enlighten me about that. Since the back of the MoHo has the wrap around window, I suppose one could attach them there, since the rear window system is the same as the front of the trailers. My guess is that they are very expensive. My back window is the emergency escape, so it has no screen, and wouldn't normally be opened. Privacy and shade would be the advantages. I'm still trying to figure why this VERY expensive (in 1989) motorhome was ordered without only ONE option -the rear awning.

Thanks for writing. I'll be sure to document my installation. Zip Dee is very good with instructions, so I'm sure it's not that complicated. We put an entire patio awning on my dad's Argosy trailer with no difficulty.

Tim
Old 12-17-2005, 08:44 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Beverly Hills , Florida
Tim.......

Mine doesn't have a rear awning either.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Tim.......

Mine doesn't have a rear awning either.
Nick,

Ah-Ha, we have something else in common! Makes you wonder what the original purchasers were thinking. Why would someone spend around $135,000 (in 1989), which included every option available, and not order a final $270 (in today's dollars) awning to make the awning set complete ?

Tim
Old 12-17-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Austin , Texas
rear awning on 345

Will this help ?
This is from my 1989/90 345 LE

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream awning 001 (Small) (Small).jpg
Views:	351
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	17140  
90345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90345
Will this help ?
This is from my 1989/90 345 LE

David
David,

Great detail! Thanks so much. That's an enormous help. I really appreciate the picture. The only difference in yours and mine is that I don't have a tall trunk or spare tire compartment like yours. My trunk is down at the bumper line and the door is only about 12" high, so I have just aluminum skin below the window. Your lower brackets for the side arms are what I really needed to see. This is definitely a big help. (I'm assuming the small arms I see on each side are to hold the awning out since you can't have a hook for the pull strap on the trunk/tire cover?)

Tim
Old 12-17-2005, 08:51 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Austin , Texas
345 front shade

Here's the front of my 345 - the label reads "Gold Coast RV Products Port Hueneme CA 93041".

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream awning 008.jpg.small.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	17142  
Old 12-17-2005, 08:56 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Austin , Texas
Glad that I could be of help !
You are right about the small arms - they swing around and rest in the notches.

David
Old 12-17-2005, 08:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Here's the front of my 345 - the label reads "Gold Coast RV Products Port Hueneme CA 93041".

David
This is even more than I had hoped for. I'm assuming this front cover was on your rig when you bought it? I'll try to track down this company to see if they are still in business. I use insulated window sun screens on the inside of my front windows, but your cover would be much more effective when the coach is outdoors - almost always . Thanks again for the help.

Tim
Old 12-17-2005, 10:00 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
This is even more than I had hoped for. I'm assuming this front cover was on your rig when you bought it? I'll try to track down this company to see if they are still in business. I use insulated window sun screens on the inside of my front windows, but your cover would be much more effective when the coach is outdoors - almost always . Thanks again for the help.

Tim
I'm the third owner - and the shade came with.
Unfortunately, mine stays outside as well - so I also use reflective inner shades to ward off the summer heat . Another benefit is that the windshield gasket is protected.

Good luck tracking one down ...

David
Old 12-18-2005, 09:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
I'm the third owner - and the shade came with.
Unfortunately, mine stays outside as well - so I also use reflective inner shades to ward off the summer heat . Another benefit is that the windshield gasket is protected.

Good luck tracking one down ...

David
Thanks. I've already had to deal with a leaking windshield gasket before it became mine. I had it repaired for my brother a year ago by a local glass company with a reputation for doing unusual jobs. Took them 2 tries, but they did get it. That outside cover would certainly be helpful.

By the way, have you figured a way to deal with the roof? I'm talking about the plasti-coat peeling off. My coach was completely redone outside in 2002 by Airstream at Jackson Center. The roof is already peeling the plasti-coat. So far it doesn't seem to be affecting the sides. What do you do with yours?

Best,
Tim
Old 12-18-2005, 10:14 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Beverly Hills , Florida
Cool

Tim.............

The original owner of mine was a bigger tightwad than your original owner. I only have one awning. It is on the passenger side and goes from just forward of the entry door to about where the shower is.......
Old 12-18-2005, 11:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Nick,

If you don't have the original 1989 sales brochure, I've sent a copy of mine to Fred at the Class A Archives site. If you'll look under "Floor plans" Fred has posted the entire brochure. The patio awning was standard equipment on all the '89 MoHos except the 290. You're right, whoever bought your unit new was really tight. I thought my original buyer was weird. Why would anyone spend so much money and skimp on the extras???????????
Old 12-18-2005, 10:51 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
Thanks. I've already had to deal with a leaking windshield gasket before it became mine. I had it repaired for my brother a year ago by a local glass company with a reputation for doing unusual jobs. Took them 2 tries, but they did get it. That outside cover would certainly be helpful.

By the way, have you figured a way to deal with the roof? I'm talking about the plasti-coat peeling off. My coach was completely redone outside in 2002 by Airstream at Jackson Center. The roof is already peeling the plasti-coat. So far it doesn't seem to be affecting the sides. What do you do with yours?

Best,
Tim
Tim -
Sadly, my clear coat is nearly gone on the roof and getting a bit thin in a few places near the top.
Wow - a complete redo outside - I bet your coach looks great !
I just try to wash and Walbernize regularly - what a chore.
Am dreaming / planning to build a proper enclosure in the future. A modest, cabinesque home with a LARGE seasonal porch / Airstream dock .

David
Old 12-19-2005, 05:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
My 280 has that front shade cover also...not seen too many of those for our coaches.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
My 280 has that front shade cover also...not seen too many of those for our coaches.
I did some preliminary looking around the INTERNET, and I haven't yet located one to fit the Classic A/S. I'm sure someone has them, or will make one for it. I intend to keep at it until I find one. Without any cover over the front I think the most serious damage can be done, since I don't have any type of building. The inside sun shades are better than nothing, but don't protect the window gaskets other outside items.

Tim
Old 12-19-2005, 11:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Tim -
Sadly, my clear coat is nearly gone on the roof and getting a bit thin in a few places near the top.
Wow - a complete redo outside - I bet your coach looks great !
I just try to wash and Walbernize regularly - what a chore.
Am dreaming / planning to build a proper enclosure in the future. A modest, cabinesque home with a LARGE seasonal porch / Airstream dock .

David
I have some pictures of my coach in the photo section under "noiva's Images". Might give you some idea of what it looks like. Now, if I could only keep it that way .....