Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
la nomade's Avatar
 
2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 246
Images: 7
Radiator fan

as i was driving back from the garage where i had the Horn fixed,the back up light and the radio....close to home,a blessing,the HOT came on,on the dashboard and i realised the fan was not coming on...parked,and found the radiator cover dripping and a sizzeling,hissing sound.....i hope it did not damage anything...the collant now cold is way down,i know it was full when i left home...can it be the thermostat?bad electrical connection???where is the thermostat located???looked in A. stream manual,no mention of Radiator nor radiator fan....Help!!!!thanks.
__________________

__________________
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
 
masseyfarm's Avatar

 
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,271
Images: 55
BUMP

"the coolant now cold is way down,i know it was full when i left home..".

Had you just filled it? Did you check it after running the engine? If the heater core was leaking, or a vapour lock in system, the rad may have appeared full, until running engine.
Have you got an electric fan? or a Viscoses oil type?
The thermostat, as such, would not normally run the fan, as there would be a sending unit for the electric fan. This sending unit would probably be on the engine block.

Dave


Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
as i was driving back from the garage where i had the Horn fixed,the back up light and the radio....close to home,a blessing,the HOT came on,on the dashboard and i realised the fan was not coming on...parked,and found the radiator cover dripping and a sizzeling,hissing sound.....i hope it did not damage anything...the collant now cold is way down,i know it was full when i left home...can it be the thermostat?bad electrical connection???where is the thermostat located???looked in A. stream manual,no mention of Radiator nor radiator fan....Help!!!!thanks.
__________________

__________________
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
 
t7389sg's Avatar
 
1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 222
Images: 2
Bad Fan Clutch

If you did not hear the fan roaring when it got hot it would seem your fan clutch is not functioning. Itís easy to replace from the dog house. All it takes is a 1/2 inch wrench. I just replaced mine while at the Alumapalooza campsite. If you need a walk thru let me know because its all still fresh in my brain. Steve
__________________
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,811
Images: 12
First you have to determine where the coolant was coming out.

Was it the cap, in which case it was just re leaving the pressure from over heating. Over heating could be bad thermostat, clogged radiator, or bad fan clutch.

Was it cracked radiator or hose leak.In which case the coolant level dropped to a point the engine overheated and boiled the remaining coolant.

Don't replace anything till you determine why.
__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
la nomade's Avatar
 
2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 246
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by t7389sg View Post
If you did not hear the fan roaring when it got hot it would seem your fan clutch is not functioning. Itís easy to replace from the dog house. All it takes is a 1/2 inch wrench. I just replaced mine while at the Alumapalooza campsite. If you need a walk thru let me know because its all still fresh in my brain. Steve
thanks Steve,i hope that is all it is,i would appreciate a walk thru...your air stream looks very much like mine!!!My friends by now call it Martine's great folly because i keep having to fix things,if its not one thing its another,and yet....the love affair goes on,with no reason or rime.....
__________________
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
la nomade's Avatar
 
2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 246
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
BUMP

"the coolant now cold is way down,i know it was full when i left home..".

Had you just filled it? Did you check it after running the engine? If the heater core was leaking, or a vapour lock in system, the rad may have appeared full, until running engine.
Have you got an electric fan? or a Viscoses oil type?
The thermostat, as such, would not normally run the fan, as there would be a sending unit for the electric fan. This sending unit would probably be on the engine block.

Dave
quiet certain its a electric fan..will check for thermostat on engine bloc...thank you....will get my friend Don to come over to help me sort this out following all your suggestions...will keep you posted. M
__________________
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
la nomade's Avatar
 
2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 246
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
First you have to determine where the coolant was coming out.

Was it the cap, in which case it was just re leaving the pressure from over heating. Over heating could be bad thermostat, clogged radiator, or bad fan clutch.

Was it cracked radiator or hose leak.In which case the coolant level dropped to a point the engine overheated and boiled the remaining coolant.

Don't replace anything till you determine why.
Right....it was from the cap....will check it out thanks...love your mailbox!!!!
__________________
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
t7389sg's Avatar
 
1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 222
Images: 2
The fan you can see in the front of the radiator is usually the condenser fan for the ac. If you remove the dog house cover from inside the motorhome you can see the cooling fan behind the radiator. That fan is controlled by a fan clutch. When you first start the engine cold this fan should roar loud for a couple minutes and then calm down. It should get loud again when the engine gets hot while climbing a hill. The fan clutch seems to have a limited life on these big Moho. I too had the hot light come on in my rig so I am dealing with this too. It puked out its coolant into the overflow bottle and after filling that it all went on the ground. Check your overflow bottle and make sure there is a hose connected to the underside of the overflow bottle can to suck the coolant back into the radiator when it cools down. Mine was missing so the coolant only flowed one way. Steve
__________________
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Commerce , Michigan
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 30
I went through all the same trial and tribbulations with engine cooling a few years ago. I recored the radiator to a 4 core and while i jad it out i put a flex fan in. Big mistake! The moho sounds like a convair 990 at take off and man do those fans take hp. My current project is going all eletric on the fans. Just a heads up as you sort this out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120612_210553.png
Views:	74
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	160865
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120612_210534.png
Views:	67
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	160864  
__________________
DA TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA TAZ
I went through all the same trial and tribbulations with engine cooling a few years ago. I recored the radiator to a 4 core and while i jad it out i put a flex fan in. Big mistake! The moho sounds like a convair 990 at take off and man do those fans take hp. My current project is going all eletric on the fans. Just a heads up as you sort this out.
Love those pics...nice!
__________________
http://projectupdraft.com/airstream

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
la nomade's Avatar
 
2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 246
Images: 7
it is the fan cluch

Quote:
Originally Posted by t7389sg View Post
The fan you can see in the front of the radiator is usually the condenser fan for the ac. If you remove the dog house cover from inside the motorhome you can see the cooling fan behind the radiator. That fan is controlled by a fan clutch. When you first start the engine cold this fan should roar loud for a couple minutes and then calm down. It should get loud again when the engine gets hot while climbing a hill. The fan clutch seems to have a limited life on these big Moho. I too had the hot light come on in my rig so I am dealing with this too. It puked out its coolant into the overflow bottle and after filling that it all went on the ground. Check your overflow bottle and make sure there is a hose connected to the underside of the overflow bottle can to suck the coolant back into the radiator when it cools down. Mine was missing so the coolant only flowed one way. Steve

it is the fan clutch,i ordered a new one...should come in the next few days,your help in finding the problem is so great,thank you....what a difficult access ....but i have great help to fix this.....M.
__________________
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member
 
t7389sg's Avatar
 
1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 222
Images: 2
A couple of tips when changing this fan clutch out. Put a piece of cardboard under the fan on the ground to catch any bolts or washers you may drop. I did mine in a field so I had to be extra careful not to drop anything lest it disappear forever. My coach is very close to your model so you should have room once you remove the clutch to just hang the fan on the water pump pulley and maneuver the clutch up and out from around the AC compressor. Other than that it’s just a yoga class being stretched out over the doghouse reaching for those bolts. Not too hard compared to other projects I've done on this thing. Steve
__________________
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member
 
la nomade's Avatar
 
2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 246
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by t7389sg View Post
A couple of tips when changing this fan clutch out. Put a piece of cardboard under the fan on the ground to catch any bolts or washers you may drop. I did mine in a field so I had to be extra careful not to drop anything lest it disappear forever. My coach is very close to your model so you should have room once you remove the clutch to just hang the fan on the water pump pulley and maneuver the clutch up and out from around the AC compressor. Other than that itís just a yoga class being stretched out over the doghouse reaching for those bolts. Not too hard compared to other projects I've done on this thing. Steve
i am pleased to report that it is fixed,the new clutch went in,when tested,it did what it is supposed to do....all is well...thank you for your help with this,it made it all much easier....M.
__________________
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade

i am pleased to report that it is fixed,the new clutch went in,when tested,it did what it is supposed to do....all is well...thank you for your help with this,it made it all much easier....M.
Glad you got it fixed. What manufacturer and part number was the replacement clutch fan? I'm not sure I'm happy with the second one I put on ;(
__________________

__________________
http://projectupdraft.com/airstream

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.