Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
anytown , California
Questions from a future Classic Moho Ownder!

Hello all!

I've been wanting a classic moho for a while now and have been doing a lot of digging. I'm not ready to buy yet (can't hide something that big from the wife ).

I have a few questions for current/past owners:

1. was there only one "diesel" option for these mohos?
2. what size is the diesel? (cylinders / displacement / power / torque?)
3. what are the tow ratings for these mohos and does it change with the length? Does a 27 footer tow more less than a 30?
4. what is the real difference in power and mileage between the 454 and the diesel?

5. What are the odds of finding a unit with a great skin, good mechanicals and lousy interior? I'm a machininst/designer/fabircator and would like to modify the inside & outside into something straight out of the jetsons.

thank you all in advance,

gene s.
REFLEXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFLEXX
(can't hide something that big from the wife ).gene s.
Sorry Gene. I'm not qualified to answer any of your questions but if you get a nice one you can hide it at my house!
I'm sure someone soon will be able to help you with your other concerns. Welcome to the forums!
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Hello all!

I've been wanting a classic moho for a while now and have been doing a lot of digging. I'm not ready to buy yet (can't hide something that big from the wife ).

3. what are the tow ratings for these mohos and does it change with the length? Does a 27 footer tow more less than a 30?
4. what is the real difference in power and mileage between the 454 and the diesel?

5. What are the odds of finding a unit with a great skin, good mechanicals and lousy interior? I'm a machininst/designer/fabircator and would like to modify the inside & outside into something straight out of the jetsons.

gene s.
Hey I'm closer! You can leave it at my place for free. Just leave an extra key in case I have to move it around.

There is a forum here for Moho's you can check on but don't worry someone who knows will answer soon enough.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Quote:
Hello all!

1. was there only one "diesel" option for these mohos? Yes
3. what are the tow ratings for these mohos and does it change with the length? Does a 27 footer tow more less than a 30? Not alot, biggest stopper is hitch. Most need bracing, and may already be done.

10:1

gene s.
There are a few with deisels that will help with more info.
Mine is 454 gas...
7.8 mpg @ 75mph pulling Ford Explorer
9.2 mpg @ 75 mph just us.
Not many trips yet, just got ours last October.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Check the classifieds here...
There are 3 diesel MH listed.
They should be able to answer lots of ???
Old 04-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
We've got an '85 345 with the 454. Mileage seems to be dependent upon my road speed. With prices the way they are, I don't torture myself by computing it every trip, but I can get about 8-9 per gallon if I am good. It is very easy to find yourself going 75 with this motor and the gear vendor option. We were told to keep our tow vehicle down in the 2000 pound range. We ended up with a VW Thing, which we love. We found out later that the weight limit is due to the rather poorly installed hitch that comes from the factory. One Forums member tows his race car and trailer (about 7,000 pounds, I think) after doing a relatively inexpensive hitch upgrade. We are very happy with the 454 and would not go diesel, but that is just us. The diesels seem to command a higher price, so there must be something to it. As you know, the price of diesel here in CA is not that much of a bargain. As for finding one in the condition that you desire, we've found two like that. They are out there. Good luck on your quest.
Ron
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:59 PM   #7
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
Hello all!

gene s.
Gene,
Welcome. The motorhomes did come with diesels. The pre-1994 (Airstream 360) they came in pullers with both Isuzu and a few rare Cummins (both I6 engines). The later model 360s came on a Spartan pusher option...again very rare and usually over $70K used.

Gassers are much easier to find. Typically, the longer floorplans (345) are cheaper than the shorter 310s and 280s are more were made and there is a perception that they are harder to drive.

This site has a few of every type for sale right now. That should give you an idea of what is available, in what condition and for what price.

I bought one with a lot of miles and wear and tear on the interior. I picked it up right and have been repairing/improving the mechnicals and modernizing the interior (think CCD with little IKEA and a dash of Jetsons) ever since.

You can check out what I've been doing on my blog (link to personal page below in my signature).

With your skills you should be looking for a good "shell". Mechnicals are cheap and easy to replace...and the interior will be customized anyway. If the shell is good with good glass all around you should be able to purchase a basket case other may pass on for a good price (I did )
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:23 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
we have a 83 MH with an isuzu motor. We get about 14 mpg. with the additional mpg it makes diesel cheaper to travel on. We put a scooter carrier on the rear for Roy's scooter chair. we had to reenforce the hitch and it works fine. we were familiar with diesel engines as we had ran 18 wheelers. They are normally good for at least several hundred thousand miles before needing any major repairs. Type of fuel is a matter of personal choice. So look for what appeals to you.

Good Luck

Kay & Roy
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
anytown , California
Thanks to all of you for the replies.

My biggest concern is towing ability. I know the 454 will tow the Titanic if necessary. But what about the I6 diesels?

There's a world of difference between 8mpg and 14 mpg with gas prices at $3.30 around here ( diesel is about .20c cheaper right now).

gene s.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

I recommend the 454...you can find parts & fuel at nearly every town in the USA. Nearly any town has a mechanic (or yourself) that can work on the Chevy powerplant too.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
I have the 454 in my 250 and it's a great engine. Lots of power. I get 10 mpg at about 60 mph. Don't know about the diesel except they smell.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
Hi - We have a 1984 310 with the Isuzu diesel and Airesearch turbo - we get 12-14 mpg towing our Saturn and last year crossed the Rockies four times. There is plenty of torque if you don't feel you have to keep up with the 18-wheelers on grades. Slow dwon and downshift and it'll pull the Titanic as well as a 454 - and with lower maintenance costs. Jamie
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I like my diesel!

We own a 1985 345 with the turbo-diesel and we love it. In 85 Isuzu upgraded the engine with bigger pistons and a lot of other upgrades giving the engine more power than previous models. We often pull a full sized vehicle on a tow dolly with little problem.

The maintainence is much less. I only change oil once in ten thousand miles, there are no spark plugs or points, and no carburator to adjust. So far, in eight years, I have yet to do anything to the engine.

Diesels are not as cranky as gas engines either. No vapor locking or such as can occur with gas. We get from 12 to 16 mpg depending on diriving conditions or what we're towing. They do smell a bit, but I kind of like the aroma of saving money.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
anytown , California
Does anyone have actuall specs for these engines? Torque / HP vs. RPM?

I know that the 454 is a common bb chevy, but what model is the Isuzu? The upgrades in 85, where they substancial?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
I recommend the 454...you can find parts & fuel at nearly every town in the USA. Nearly any town has a mechanic (or yourself) that can work on the Chevy powerplant too.
How many miles can one expect to put on the 454 engine?
rebfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
The 454 big block chevy engine can run forever. The cheapest preventative maintenance is changing the oil.
The enemy of any engine is heat. Keep the thing cool and life will go on.
The big block will also last a lot longer at lower rpm's.... so a Gear Vendors unit (under/overdrive) makes a lot of sense and is a desired option.
Regular exersize is also a key to long life...not just with human bodies but also with engines. Use it or loose it.
Keeping things tight and doing a good PM schedule will go a long way toward extending the life of the big block chevy.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:11 PM   #17
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama

About half of the diesel, or two lifetimes.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

I think it has been mentioned here and other RV sites that our 454 engines ususally need freshening up at just under 100,000 miles. I agree w/ Glencoombe with regard to regular exercise and a good PM schedule.
JMTCW -If you don't "drive it like you stole it" and do regular PM's on it, it should last well beyond 200+ Another great thing about the 454, is you can drop the pan and check the lower engine components to check for internal wear, and access the upper heads through the "dog house"
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
I think it has been mentioned here and other RV sites that our 454 engines ususally need freshening up at just under 100,000 miles. I agree w/ Glencoombe with regard to regular exercise and a good PM schedule.
JMTCW -If you don't "drive it like you stole it" and do regular PM's on it, it should last well beyond 200+ Another great thing about the 454, is you can drop the pan and check the lower engine components to check for internal wear, and access the upper heads through the "dog house"
what is meant by freshening up? do you mean doing the preventative maintenance?
rebfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:37 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

RICHLANDS , North Carolina
Diesel is definitely the way to go if you can afford it. Mileage is better, they last longer, and they tend to have more low end torque. FYI: the GM light truck powerplant of choice, the 6.6L Duramax, was designed by Isuzu, just in case you were hesitant to buy an Isuzu-powered coach.
marineguy is offline   Reply With Quote