Old 07-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
No one said no, so I did. One pair of HD springs, one pair of Firestone bag bags from TD Truck Springs. Not that I'm pushing TD Truck Springs, just want everyone to know how I died it I make a mistake while changing them. This maybe one of those: Get the hired help to do it
I was looking through the "Chevrolet Motor Home Chassis Service Guide" the manual listed in another thread recently. On page section 3-9 there is a good explanation and warning about aftermarket HD springs. I would scan and post but I am on the road and don't have access to a scanner. Hopefully someone else will post it. Basically they say HD springs can cause spring bind and big problems.

If nobody posts it I will try to type it but I type veeeerrrryyy slowly.

Cheers, Dan

Old 07-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
I read the part about that spring bind and it scared me but when I spoke with the people at the spring company thy confirmed that it was due to using fatter springs not stiffer metal. As long as you buy from a big dealer thy don't wont to be sued so thy are going to make sure your spring is not going to compress (bind) before they hit the bumper. But my worry is can the ball joints Handel the added load?? Larry I think has had them fail if I remember correctly I know it was some one with a diesel and it had to due with weight.
I just changed my coil springs with 500lb more on each (the smallest increase I could find) I put the bags back as well figuring I would run 30lb instead of 55lb. I have added 600+lbs to the front of my 345 and I hope I will not have problems with ball joints.
If you are planing on changing you springs you should take a min and watch this videofrom Supper Steer on changing them.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Thanks for posting that.
Its good to watch and see how the front end is laid out.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:39 AM   #18
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Had those on my PU back in the 70s, they were very popular.
Keep watch on that upper shock mount, the added force from the shock spring can wallow out the hole, and you will not see it when your searching for the reason of all the noise, and you cannot shake the shock by hand since the spring keeps it all expanded and tight.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #19
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
The bags are coming out of Lenexa, KS, well be here Tomorrow. The springs departed Harrisburg, , PA yesterday and arrive next Wednesday. Jury's still out on weather I want to do it or hire it done. It being over 100 every day for the foreseeable future here, I leaning toward hire it done.
Need to find the rubber stops. They make a coil spring bump stop that adds another 1800 pounds.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
The good thing about having them installed is accountability...the bad thing is KNOWING how they were installed...I mostly opt for accountability....I have been burned, but having found a reliable mechanic in Tucson, I will limp there for his help...AZ Mobile Mechanic...a worthwhile plug...and an honest man...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #21
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
The guy that had the super springs and ball joint failures was me, AirRowan. The springs were only partly at fault - they didn't bind until after the rubber stops were destroyed by continuous banging. The main fault was A/S not realizing the Isuzu diesel they put in weighs a lot more than the 454 they took out. The ball joints were rated for a front end weight of 5,000# and the actual weight (nobody aboard and no gear) was 4850# ... so with two people in the front seats we were simply overloading the front suspension. Moral: Have your rig weighed by a certified scale, and get independent measures front and rear.
Jamie
Old 07-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #22
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking View Post
The guy that had the super springs and ball joint failures was me, AirRowan. The springs were only partly at fault - they didn't bind until after the rubber stops were destroyed by continuous banging. The main fault was A/S not realizing the Isuzu diesel they put in weighs a lot more than the 454 they took out. The ball joints were rated for a front end weight of 5,000# and the actual weight (nobody aboard and no gear) was 4850# ... so with two people in the front seats we were simply overloading the front suspension. Moral: Have your rig weighed by a certified scale, and get independent measures front and rear.
Jamie
Some time back, as I was trying to get the air ride to the right height I scaled her. Wanted to know the weight on the tag, but never found a scale with a level approach ranks to do it. Do remember it total weight was just under 16,500 pound, unloaded.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #23
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
The good thing about having them installed is accountability...the bad thing is KNOWING how they were installed...I mostly opt for accountability....I have been burned, but having found a reliable mechanic in Tucson, I will limp there for his help...AZ Mobile Mechanic...a worthwhile plug...and an honest man...m
Is 1008 miles away still within the city limits? I will remember AZ if I ever break down in the city limits of Tucson.
In the mean time, think I'll try this new (to me) shop in Okla City. They didn't charge me anything to tell me I need parts and if I got the parts they'd install them.
BTW I now have new air bags in the box. The springs are with UPS (somewhere) and stop bumpers are ordered from familycar.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
OK, Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
Is 1008 miles away still within the city limits? I will remember AZ if I ever break down in the city limits of Tucson.
In the mean time, think I'll try this new (to me) shop in Okla City. They didn't charge me anything to tell me I need parts and if I got the parts they'd install them.
BTW I now have new air bags in the box. The springs are with UPS (somewhere) and stop bumpers are ordered from familycar.
Yep, 1008 is within the reach of an AS moho...Ya know, I was born in Tulsa and raised outside of Bartlesville...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #25
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I got Silver Bullet back. With the new HD spring and new air springs she sits 3" higher than before. The extra 1000 pounds of springs makes for a better ride. When I hit a bump it don't bottom out. Think I did good. Even if I didn't make it home without a wrecker tow AGAIN! Fuel pumps failed . I think I'm ready to go on a trip now.
Wife wanted to know when I was going to stop spending so much money on my Silver Bullet. I just smiles and said, "When I run out."