Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Q: Removing Interior Panel, 345

I need to remove the R-Side interior panel on my 1990 345LE, to gain access to mirror mount nuts, and honestly dont see how it's attached. I've removed plenty of door panels on cars where you could look and figure it out but the old eyes aren't helping me any on this one as after looking hard I cant find even one mounting fastner.

If I had to guess I'd say the carpet strip along the bottom of this one needs to be removed to gain access to screws, then pull out and lift up, but the carpet appears to be glued in place and I sure dont want to create extra work.

So......I'm asking anyone that has had their panel off if they care to share their 'how to' with me.

Thanks (pic's aren't great as my printer just ran out of ink)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	345 Broken Mirror Mount & Interior Panel.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	150101  
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
This is a thread that I'm definitely going to follow. Know that I'm going to have to get into my panels at some point. Has anyone ever tried finding a supplier of replacement panels?
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 345bill View Post

Thanks (pic's aren't great as my printer just ran out of ink)
Huh?

Does that mean that you printed the pics, scanned the prints, and posted that?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Huh?

Does that mean that you printed the pics, scanned the prints, and posted that?
Yes, that's exactly what it means. Heck if my Grandaughter was here at the time she probably could show me an easier way.

So do you have any panel removal tips to share?

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
PM Cooperhawk, he will know because I found a post where he put Ramco Mirrors on his 345.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 345bill View Post
Yes, that's exactly what it means. Heck if my Grandaughter was here at the time she probably could show me an easier way.

So do you have any panel removal tips to share?

Thanks.
That's the hard way. You could just attach the photo files that you printed in the first place. Of course, you have to be able to find them on the computer.

As far at the door panels go, I'm guessing that they pop out in in a similar fashion to those in cars and trucks. Here's a video that covers the basics:

Also, here's a website with step-by-step instructions. Car Door Panel Removal - How to Remove Interior Door Panel - Tips and Advice Some of the plastic tools shown there could help. Being plastic reduces the chances of scratches.

If you check with body shop, or stores sell supplies, they could give you some tips, too.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Bill,

I wish your grand daughter had been around when I took my interior apart because she might remember how it all was done.

The upholstered plastic panel with the armrest, etc is strictly cosmetic. There is a sheet of aluminum behind it that actually seals some insulation between it and the outside skin of the moho. The door trim "hangs" into and over the sliding window track, and seals up against the glass with a plastic molding. I think I recall seeing a couple of color matched screws that were clearly visible down low near the floor. Take a good look through the holes vacated by the cupholder and ash tray. I seem to recall some concealed fasteners somewhere in there. If you can get it loosened up a bit, try to get a feel for where it's being held. I also have a vague recollection of screws that may be concealed behind the "faux wood" plastic trim panels, or maybe under the armrest itself.

PLEASE Proceed with caution. I apologize for being so vague. I'd hate to see you damage something by proceeding with my fuzzy recollections. Most of my interior was in pieces when I got my coach, and what was there was not in a very original state. I pretty much rebuilt the whole thing and reassembled it on my own terms a couple of years ago. Good luck!
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
Bill,

I wish your grand daughter had been around when I took my interior apart because she might remember how it all was done.
You got me laughing hard, good one.

In the back of my mind I keep picturing this being similar to removing a car door panel, however I've been unable to find those first few fastners that I need to get it loose then that should show me where to pull, lift or whatever when I get it to that point.

My wife thinks her hand will fit through the hole for the cup holder, or ash tray opening, so maybe if she can reach that far up inside we will be able to access that way.

We were able to find a new mirror mount online so when UPS shows up with it I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for replies.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Louisville , Kentucky
The simulated wood grain panels on mine popped out and reviled a number of rivets. I think there was also a piece of trim running from top to bottom with a row of rivets behind the rubber.
oliver00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Here is an article I did when I installed mine. Hope it helps.

INSTALLATION OF RAMCO MIRRORS ON AIRSTREAM 345 > CampfireClicks.com | Online Community for RV Owners, Classifieds, Forums, DIY, How To's, Reviews, Member Profiles, Blogs

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Great article cooperhawk. Also received your pm's, Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Mirror mount project complete and mirror installed.

Ended up combining advice from everyone above and was able to get the panel out of the way enough to access the mount nuts. It was at this point we found the threads and nuts were covered with something that is similar to J B Weld so ended up having to cut the philips head end off outside then chisel the surrounding goop inside to remove old bolts with nuts still attached. (attached pic shows two of the four, otherwise we could of removed the nuts without loosining panel as my wife was able to reach her hand through the ash tray opening)

Everything on interior was in a cavity that you could feel but not see.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror and Mounting Screws 002.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	151134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror and Mounting Screws 001.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	151135