Old 01-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Question Propane Tank For Engine Conversion

Here in England we are doing our best to beat the Government at its own game, namely the cost of engine fuel - Gas. Hence the move to convert to a duel fuel engine using gas and LPG (Propane) - it is about half the price , which I am contemplating, but have one main and quite significant stumbling block - the tank!

As I see it, with the very restrictive storage areas on a Classic, in this case a 310, my only option is to use the space where the 120gal Propane tank is, and fit a smaller domestic tank in the rear.

What I am hoping to do was either; a) convert the existing ASME tank to liquid take off, or b) obtain the same size and fitting configuration in a liquid take off tank.

As ASME tanks are virtually unheard of here, or at least no one really wants to know or be bothered, I am hoping you chaps in the America's can throw some light on this.

The only tanks available here rely on straps to hold it in place and if I use the space the domestic propane tank fits in, that will mean fixing to the outriggers, which I donít think are strong enough. I would like to get the same tank with the mounting bracket welded to the tank in the same way as the ASME, to allow the tank to be mounted on the chassis rail with all the points of access available in the same place where the flap in the side skirt is.

Can any one direct me to a supplier or help in modifying the tank to do the job?

These forums have been great in the past so here's hoping

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Hey Chuck,
Just a thought...have you considered some sort of adaption to the spare tire area...?
We still have our spare tire, but I wouldn't be the one to change it, and the services that do can usually bring the right replacement out in one of their service rigs...LP conversion is a great idea, but if enough people do it, the government will find a way to mark it up, too...

We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
The thought of not having a spare handy is ..... ,er not on I 'm afraid, besides, One needs at least 130 ltrs capacity to make it worth while. No I am afraid its back to the domestic gas tank, probably getting one made up special and find space for a smaller domestic gas in the rear somewhere.

Thanks for the thought though - it all helps

Old 03-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Barend

1990 25' Airstream 250
Eindhoven , NB, The Netherlands
LPG conversion

Hi,

We have a 1990 250, which has had a 200 litre LPG tank fitted. It was there when I bought the unit, so I do not know what was originally in the place where it is, but I assume it was the household propane tank as well as the spare wheel. The spare is now on a frame at the rear of the MH.
The LPG tank is a combination of liquid and vapour. There is a smaller vapour tank attached. You fill both at the same time.
If you are interested, I can find the name of the supplier. This is a Dutch firm. The whole thing has been approved by the Dutch authority for car approvals etc, so I assume it is legal. I can tell you it works brilliantly.
Effective capacity is however only some 150-160 litres (80%), which means you need to find a filling station quite frequently.

Best regards,

Barend de Graaff,
Old 03-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
That sounds very good indeed, I would very much appreciate any details you can find and if possible some photos of the installation. If you wish you can PM me or send direct to chuck@hkb.co.uk if the photos are difficult via the forums.

Thank you again for your information.
Chuck

Old 03-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You are aware that you have two spare tires permanently mounted on your rear axle?
Asa for a propane tank, what do you use for forklift fuel? Here we use 30 or 40 pound horizontal mounted liquid supply propane tanks for our forklifts. Something similar may be acceptable for your motorhome, merely mount it horizontally on the frame on the side that is most convenient to refilling. You may lose a lower storage compartment in the process, maybe even as a replacement for your existing LPG supply tank. Many horizontal tanks have outlets for vapour as well as liquid, though I don't know about motor vehicle laws allowing that or not.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
Barend

1990 25' Airstream 250
Eindhoven , NB, The Netherlands
Hi Chuck,

The supplier is Allround LPG in Spijkenisse, NL. Allround lpg voor LPG en airco.
I will make some photo's for you, but that'll have to wait until the weekend; it's dark outside now and I will be travelling until Saturday.

Barend
Old 03-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
Hi Chuck.
How are the regulations about propane in the UK.
Must the tank has a certivicate?
It would not be to hard to modify the existing tank.

Remco