Old 10-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Lisle sur Tarn , France
Problem of lights

Hello. I don't have any light "on" into my gauges or any instrument on dash board. Fuse 5A is ok. Do you have some ideas ? Thank's

Old 10-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Turn on your headlghts, then try turning your headlight switch knob all the way clockwise (or counter clockwise i cant remember). This controls the brightness of your dash/gauge/instrement lights. See if that works for you and report back.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Lisle sur Tarn , France
Thank you mayco but nothing happens. Just, when I rotate the switch ( in headlight position of course ) the needle of oil gauge moves a little bit (!!???)

(sorry for my poor english...)
Old 10-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Your English is fine. My guess is that the rheostat in your headlight switch is bad. (If your headlights work but your dash lights dont.) the switch is not expensive. RockAuto carries them along with many other vendors. Not sure about shipping to France. For the price of replacement, I think thats where i would start. There are many here on the forum that are much more knowledgeable than I in automotive electric though. But, I would try replacing the switch.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Lisle sur Tarn , France
Perhaps you are right. I am going to try to shunt the rheostat . If it's running, I will install a separate switch or rheostat. My problem, in France, is that is very very difficult to find a shop to ship to europa. I can find some dealers in UK but the cost for these small products is too expensive...
We want to travel in USA with OUR Excella ( crazy ) for 1 year but in...3 years !! it will be a good way for renew our AS.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Sent you an email
Old 10-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
That headlight switch was used on chevy P30 delivery trucks, pick ups, and vans for decades. If you have an auto parts store where chevy parts are sold, you should be able to find a new switch. They are a cheap part over here, so they should only cost you an arm not the leg too. Try scrap yards if you can't find it new. Good luck in your search.

Once you get the switch, hold it so the control knob hole is facing you. There will be a little spring loaded button on the top, bottom or side depending on how you're holding it. You'll need to know where it is to remove the old switch. While pushing this button it all the way on the old switch, pull the control knob completely out. Next unscrew the nut the holds the switch to the dashboard. It will be on the outside of the dash under the control knob. It is ridged and round, not the usual 6 sided nut. Now the switch should only be held on by the wire harness clip. Remove the wires and reverse process to install new switch.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:51 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Lisle sur Tarn , France
Thank you 3 Dog Nite for your explanation. Mayco offers me to buy the switch and send me to France but, after control, the ups postage is around $85 !!!! Gloups ! I am going to look for a dealer and wait a big order for him to reduce my postage cost. The Excella runs well, nothing really bad, I can wait ...
Great community !
Old 10-27-2014, 03:14 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Lisle sur Tarn , France
...what about the wiring ? Which wires for the lights (manometers) ? Thank's a lot.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
...hold it so the control knob hole is facing you. There will be a little spring loaded button on the top, bottom or side depending on how you're holding it. You'll need to know where it is to remove the old switch. While pushing this button it all the way on the old switch, pull the control knob completely out.

Google Image Result for https://www.opgi.com/common/PZ00452-lrg.jpg

I'd add that you have to rotate the knob fully clockwise first, before you can push the silver button on the bottom of the switch to release the knob shaft.

once you have switch free, you may find, as we did with ours, that the rheostat wiper and coil at the front of the switch was full of fine dirt. a wash of the entire switch with spray electrical cleaner and zip tying the connector to the switch body fixed the issue. might be that simple for you, too.

ymmv.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote