Old 10-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
I'm blaming it all on the squirrel...

Ah, the regulatin squirrel did it to your Hummer's regulator too!

I admit to being powerless over housecleaning and social niceities
Airforums 22655 and now, WBCCI 22655

NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #16
Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Smile Priceless????

Well I am glad to see that I am not the only one that has the "Perils Of Pauline" every time I get in the Silver Hornet to go somewhere. Looks like the Silvertini does the same to you too. I carry an extra alternator with me since I found out the previous owner had replaced three of them. Classic motorhoming seems to be centered around the amount of spares you are able to carry with you as well as anticipating what might go South on you on that trip. It's wonderful when you don't have break-downs and the pits when they occur, but for my money I'll take a motorhome over any trailer I have ever owned including the AS International Overlander we owned twice. Motorhomes are not cheap to repair whether you do it or hire it done, but I don't RV because it's cheap, I RV to give me more freedom and choices as I go. Still the only way to go IMHO!!!

A Man has got know his limitations-Dirty Harry
That's Some Bad Hat Harry-Jaws 1978
kmpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
1984 31' Airstream310
hereford , herefordshire
HI I bought my Airstream Motorhome in A.Z and drove all the way down the I10 through N.M and TX had a good trip only one oil seal and couldn't get up to Grand Canyon carburetter kept spluttering other than that had a good trip to Galverston. Then shipped it back to England. When I went to pick it up in Southampton it turned into an Albertros, it wouldn't start. To cut a long story short some one had managed to put a piston through the side of the block driving onto the boat .Two years later we have a diesel engine and have nearly got it street legal for U.K so reading your posts gives me hope. T
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Well I am beginning to think I am on the trip to hell. Started out in paradise but it is going not well in many ways. I am almost getting to point where I do not trust our little Airtini - it keeps breaking something.

First of all, we went to the NorCal rally at Jackson Rancheria. That was great, we always have a fun time with those folks. Met some really great people.
We were supposed to leave from Jackson Rancheria and head out to Oil Trough Arkansas. But, as I mentioned a few days ago, we discovered that the rear oil seal had gone bad and was dumping oil to the tune of a quart every 100 miles. It had to be replaced.

So, we called some friends we met at Jackson who also had a motorhome, Chris & Bette. That was really great! Great People and perhaps the most generous I have met in a very long time!. We stayed with them nearly 3 full days while Airtini was being repaired. That cost $700 but during that repair, it was discovered that the tail pipe out of the muffler had separated from the muffler and had to be clamped together. I had to take it to a muffler shop and for $40, it was welded together because that was quick and easy.

Now we are back on the road and it has been nothing but problem after problem - I don't know what is going to break next on this run!
I had hoped to go from Kingmnan, AZ to Amarillo, TX today, but it looks like we will not pull into Amarillo until well after 2:00 a.m.
So, here is how our day has gone.... We got in to Kingman at 11:00 p.m. - more than an hour after we expected to. We no sooner park and Kimber says "something smells bad". We look around - I don't smell it like she does. Backup a little here - at Jackson, our charger boiled our batteries to the point of spitting acid all over the battery compartment. Well we thought we fixed that by just not using the charger and letting the batteries charge up from the alternator. (you already know where this is going). Kimber says "It has to be the batteries". Now, I am thinking to myself "how could the alternator overcharge a battery?" Well, I go outside and sure enough I can hear and smell the batteries! I open the tray and the first deep cycle battery is boiling mad. It must have been a cell gone bad.
Well, I lift the leads to that battery and leave the other in service, it was not hot or boiling. I pepper the compartment with baking soda. It foams up better than a fresh Guinness in a cold glass.

We decide to go to the auto parts store the next morning and replace BOTH batteries. So this morning we get a few gallons of distilled water and 2 boxes of baking soda. I sprinkle the baking soda until the inside of the compartment looks like its December 25 at the North Pole and then start to slowly flush it with the distilled. That helps spread the powder and neutralize the acid. Next I pull the batteries and haul them over to exchange for new ones.

I finish to clean up the cabinet and put the new batteries in. Nice clean posts, a new jumper cable, that fun red greeze - I do it all.

satisfied that the job is well done I get all cleaned up and ready to leave. But I notice that there is something new hanging from underneath the chassis. It was a vacuum hose that runs to an actuator off the headers to the muffler - It burned off somehow. So, its another trip to the auto parts store for a hose and a new coupling. I fix that, we fill up and we are on the road.
About 3 hours into todays drive, the overdrive unit, a Mile Marker Dual Range unit slams into low gear and the power goes off. It is locked in Low Gear. We drive 15 miles to the next rest stop and I check out the overdrive. I disconnect the power and reconnect it and it magically starts working again. Shortly after we get gas at 6:00, it goes out again and will not reset immediately with me pulling the power. But eventually it does reset.

So far on this trip we have spent:
2 gallons distilled water - $2
2 boxes of baking soda - $2
New rear oil seal - $700
Muffler weld job - $40
Box of new tools cause I somehow left mine at home - $100
2 more gallons distilled water $2
Another 2 boxes of baking soda - $2
2 new batteries - $180
Battery post cleaning kit - $8
New positive terminal jumper cable - $8
New vacuum Hose - $3
New coupling - $1

Doing the math - we have spent almost $1050 just to get on the road! That was almost my entire fuel budget - one way that is.

Trip to see 88 year old Auntie - PRICELESS!!!
normski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Siloam Springs , Arkansas
I could comment on the adversity, but it wouldn’t do to tempt karma….

I will offer that we are in the very Northwest Arkansas if you need another lay-over point….

Happy travels!
Jeff & Cindy
Hunter RIP

'09 27FB Flying Cloud
'91 350 LE MH
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #19
1984 31' Airstream310
hereford , herefordshire
Airstream to Albertross

Hi I would like to add my story to yours.I bought my Airstream motorhome in Yuma A.Z off an add on the internet.After new tires we drove across A.Z N.M. T.X with not to many problems, only a rear oil seal which we had replaced.After a six week road trip we delivered the silver bird to Galveston docks, to be shipped to England .When we went to Southampton to pick it up, it had turned from a beautiful silverbird into an Albertross, it would not start after 4hrs with mechanics on the docks trying to start it no success .To cut a long story short we found someone on the ferry to England had blown the engine up a piston had gone through the side of the block.Two years later and to many dollars to count we have a 6.2 chevy diesel in it.Am now waiting for it to be legalized for England .So what next
normski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Tim, didn't I tell you to take the Hummer along as a toad? Make that thing into a pusher!
Next time were together I'll do a better pre trip inspection with you.
Maybe a better isolator from that alternator to the batteries would help. I use a Sure power 120 amp model in our truck so maybe something similar.
Good karma to you and Kimber, no more issues, you'll see
AIR: 649
TAC: CA-40
Northern California Airstreamers
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Lord, may I be on the road soon...I really hate being ground bound...headed to Q town, soon...don't know if the unit will make it, but we're gonna try...that's part of the adventure...getting there is the rest, arriving is kinda anticlimatic...but, the folks you meet...there's the treasure...may I meet the rest of you, somewhere...m
Michael & Tracy
1989 345 Motorhome
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Hi Buttercup, so you dropped a grand, you could drop 30 or 40 grand on a TV and pull a trailer but anybody could do that. It takes character to head out in a vintage Moho. It cost me $4500 in trans work when we first bought ours home. I probably have twice more than that in it since then but I think I'm finally seeing that light at the end of the tunnel.

We have done about 800 miles this week on a shakedown tour after the overdrive install. So far we have only had one problem, the fuel shut off cable jammed and I couldn't shut off the engine. Took about 30 minutes of disassembly to stop the engine and 2 hours to get it back together. Never really found the problem but it seems to be working fine now.

Keep a cold brew handy and when you get all the bugs worked out it will be well worth it.

Cheers, Dan

Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote