Old 06-11-2005, 06:49 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

John,
I'm not an electronics guru either, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and the explanation that anyone can understand is this- Just because it does!
Actually, I don't understand it either, but it does work. Matter of fact, Ford Motor Company has used that setup on their products for many, many years. Maybe they know?

Old 06-11-2005, 11:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsofgold1
John,
Matter of fact, Ford Motor Company has used that setup on their products for many, many years. Maybe they know?
Ford uses a different type of drive on their starter than GM. The GM solenoid has a set of contactors that applies voltage to the starter windings; it also has a yoke which pulls the starter drive gear into the flywheel when voltage is applied. Ford starters have a bendix which spins the gear into the flywheel when the voltage is applied.

John

Old 06-12-2005, 11:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
where did you mount the remote solenoid? Any pics? thanks Debbie
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:42 PM   #18
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
str8strm,
My remoted solenoid was mounted on the alternator bracket on our 345. In fact I found a GM service bulletin in the 1986 P30 service manual referencing the hot start problem along with instructions for installation of the remote magnetic switch (relay).

I found after breaking the mounting bracket or the switch on about five of them I decided there was just too much heat and vibration for them to last for long in that mounting position.

I switched to a "Ford" stye and relocated it to the coach plate steel that makes up the bottom passenger side the doghouse (see pics). Since I've moved it I've not had any problems with it breaking.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you the service bulletin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5698.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	12773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5699.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	12774  

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Send that to me as well. I want to see how they are doing this. I'm with 74Argosy24MH on question why.

The ONLY way I can see that this would help is if its dumped power onto the motor and solenoid at the same time. This would effectively remove the motor load from the solenoid contacts of the solenoid on the starter. My Issue with that is if its going to get engage into the flywheel gear without eventually damaging it. Like 74Argosy24MH pointed out, the Ferd starter is a different animal and designed to work that way.

It would also require a total rewire of the Way GM does things. GM runs all its power distribution off the lug on the starter. This included the power for the key switch and power for both main legs of the Fuse box (hot and ig).

If its only in line with the solenoid then the only thing I see causing an improvement is wiring related. Specifically the power loss from the battery through the key switch back to the starter. A 30 amp Bosch Relay should be able to handle that or the real problem is defective contacts in the switch on the column. The wire from the key to the Solenoid is only a 12 gage as I recall so a 30 amp Relay should be plenty.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:30 AM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Jumper wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
Send that to me as well. I want to see how they are doing this. I'm with 74Argosy24MH on question why.
It would also require a total rewire of the Way GM does things. GM runs all its power distribution off the lug on the starter. This included the power for the key switch and power for both main legs of the Fuse box (hot and ig).
Ford did this for many years with the starters on its 429 and 460 engines. They had a starter with a solenoid built-on, and they jumpered the solenoid on the starter, using the standard Ford solenoid to actuate everything. I have always thought of this as a Rube Goldberg solution, but if that is what it takes to start your engine, then go for it.
I tried to bypass the Ford remote solenoid on a 429, to see if it made a difference. It did. Without the remote solenoid in the loop, the starter hesitated, and spun the engine over more slowly.