Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Outside handle, Deadbolt and Doorbells!

Here I go again, asking questions!

The outside doorhandle was swiped off in the mishap that my 1984 suffered, and a plate is rivited over where it should be.
I am on a part hunt so I will have everything at hand for the skin repair.
Andy of Inland, tells me all the parts are available, and I have the part numbers...

I am still confused tho about it.
Here is one on a later (maybe 1989 345), as an example.

Now, is the the same as my '84 should have?
Is that a Doorbell in the lower part?
Where is the actual chime unit???

I have a funny looking cast aluminum part inside the M/H by the door, with a pair of wires(One disconnected) going to what looks/feels like a Mercury switch capsule switch. Pulling the 2 screws off and looking at this part I see a square female hole, that I read in another thread connects to the exterior lock.
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
My doorbell is located just behind the driver's seat under the couch near the heater/ exterior access door.
The couch muffles the sound so much that it is useless so you may want to put it somewhere more audible.
As for the mercury switch it makes contact in the vertical (unlooked) position and sounds an alarm on the dash when the key is on.
josh
AirRowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
LOL!
It would not just by chance be this little beauty?

Spotted this when I was removing the Aux heater...
I took this pic and put it on my "What is that" List!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Venice , California
Indeed! That is your doorbell. I'll echo (pun certainly not intended) what others have commented. Namely that it is impossible to hear. If you do decide to (re)install a doorbell, you'd be well served by relocating the chime unit to a more central and less muffled location.

/df
dalefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
Ya that is the same as mine with no cover either???

Doorbell
AirRowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Good to know, but I need the handle and the button before I get into the chime!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
I have a funny looking cast aluminum part inside the M/H by the door, with a pair of wires(One disconnected) going to what looks/feels like a Mercury switch capsule switch. Pulling the 2 screws off and looking at this part I see a square female hole, that I read in another thread connects to the exterior lock.
The part in question is the daedbolt lock. It can be manually turned or electrically from the dashboard by the "Deadboly" switch. When in the vertical position, the door is unlocked. When horizontal, the door is locked.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I figure my doorbell would be as useful on a tent...I suppose it was a social thing, or...yep...one more bell or whistle...now I could appreciate a door whistle...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
deadbolt lock from the dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
The part in question is the daedbolt lock. It can be manually turned or electrically from the dashboard by the "Deadboly" switch. When in the vertical position, the door is unlocked. When horizontal, the door is locked.
Our deadbolt does not lock when we try to do it electronically from the dash. Does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks,
Sonia

Watch WDCU-ers have fun, visit www.wdcu.wbcci.net
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonia View Post
Our deadbolt does not lock when we try to do it electronically from the dash. Does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks,
Sonia
To be honest Sonia, from some of the other posts I've read about the electronic deadbolt, I'm GLAD mine doesn't work! Seems at times the electronic switch has a mind of it's own. Works, then doesn't work, at times some folks had to crawl out a window, because once it's locked, they couldn't get it to unlock. Whew!
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw

To be honest Sonia, from some of the other posts I've read about the electronic deadbolt, I'm GLAD mine doesn't work! Seems at times the electronic switch has a mind of it's own. Works, then doesn't work, at times some folks had to crawl out a window, because once it's locked, they couldn't get it to unlock. Whew!
Thanks, Derek
My dad got locked out once with engine running when deadbolt activated on its own. He had to somehow remove/open a rear side window and the his brother crawled in. I never leave the engine running and shut the door while outside the MH!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalefox View Post
Indeed! That is your doorbell. I'll echo (pun certainly not intended) what others have commented. Namely that it is impossible to hear. If you do decide to (re)install a doorbell, you'd be well served by relocating the chime unit to a more central and less muffled location.

/df
If you travel with a small dog Like I do the doorbell will be plenty loud enough... My Jack Russell Kirby can hear it ring even when I don't and he instantly goes berserk. In fact he even barks when someone rings a doorbell on TV but I can distinguish the TV doorbells from my own even if Kirby can not. Fact is I normally can hear the doorbell just fine but it is definitely muted, I'm sure you can find a better spot for it if you wish to.
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Oh yeah, on a side note, I wired an inline switch on my doorbell circuit after being awakened at 2am on a rainy night by the ringing doorbell. Water got in the button and it started ringing all by itself and rang every few minutes until morning causing my dog to go berserk every few minutes until morning. Now if it starts ringing or if I think about it before a hard rain I just flip the switch killing power to the ringer.
8rmesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
doorbell box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
LOL!
It would not just by chance be this little beauty?

Spotted this when I was removing the Aux heater...
I took this pic and put it on my "What is that" List!
Wow Steve, that's huge! ours is a nice small box behind one of the swivel chairs and close to the door. So it can be heard (if used)

Sonia

Old 01-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
doorbells and dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANlowGREEN View Post
If you travel with a small dog Like I do the doorbell will be plenty loud enough... My Jack Russell Kirby can hear it ring even when I don't and he instantly goes berserk. In fact he even barks when someone rings a doorbell on TV but I can distinguish the TV doorbells from my own even if Kirby can not. Fact is I normally can hear the doorbell just fine but it is definitely muted, I'm sure you can find a better spot for it if you wish to.
We have a German Shepard and she barks when she hears the doorbell ring on TV! So I guess it is a dogs and doorbells thing.

Sonia