Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That whole engine needs to be gone through. Oil pressure gages are there for a reason. The pistons are probably ok. Rods, cams, rockers etc all need to be checked. This kind of thing is why I do everything myself.

Perry

Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #16
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Cripes, I was born to worry, and this one has me going nuts! I am calling a few Isuzu outlets today to see if main and rod bearings are available. I'm still going to insist the pan be pulled and bottom inspected. I like the idea of changing the oil and filters a couple of times, had not thought of that. Having the oil tested is a good idea, as well. Thanks for all your replys, I know you feel my pain.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #17

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
If there is a silver lining, we have a nice place to stay, with hookups. I can smell the salt water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2237bessatbill's.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	167911  
Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Aside from the nice place to stay, this sucks.
Chin up Mike!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #19

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Aside from the nice place to stay, this sucks.
Chin up Mike!
Opening my Pacificos a little early today, since I have no control right now, and I'm a CONTROL guy!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Well, I hope you have some Limes, cos with all this stress, you need your Vitamin C!

This one is a tough call....
The new turbo is good... did it just sieze or worse?
The lack of oil will have most impact on the rod and crank bearing in a diesel, as a heavy chunk of the cylinder wall lube is hopefully handled by the diesel fuel... or that is the way it was always explained to me... thats why many earlier diesels had twin oil control rings top and bottom to keep engine oil OUT of the compression chamber to prevent a run-away situation. Not sure how the your motor is set up tho!
I have seen engines with oil pressure loss for s short period, with no heavy load do ok... but in this situation, I would get them checked!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Opening my Pacificos a little early today, since I have no control right now, and I'm a CONTROL guy!
The "Moss Gods" are just trying to keep you in the Great Northwest for awhile Mike. They get lonesome when you take off every year.

On a more serious note oil analysis is great but one will not tell you much. You need to do several to detect changes in the results. If you had an analysis or two before the incident and another a thousand or two miles after the incident you would have a true story of the damage.

Good luck, Dan
Old 09-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
My opinion.

Hi, since this was an honest mistake and your mechanic admitted it, I think you should try to work something out with him. [just an idea] Obviously this isn't a brand new engine and you drove it knowing that there was no oil pressure; maybe let your mechanic pay for the turbo charger and split the difference in cost of parts needed. [maybe split the labor too] He's your friend.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Yikes... the bottom end inspection will tell you a lot... any wear down there and you aren't fixing anything... it's a complete rebuild...
Old 09-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #24
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
This world needs more friends like you Robert!

Mike - The real problem here is that you want to get on the road and leave the area. If something happens 3000 miles from home you are stuck paying the big bucks and living costs probably also. But, if the engine tests out OK on a 100 mile test run out HWY #2, or similar, with some hills, then it will probably continue to serve you for the near future. Maybe make a deal, so that if it shows a problem while you are away, to have it rebuild when you return with some sharing of responsibility.

Sure does screw up the plans.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, since this was an honest mistake and your mechanic admitted it, I think you should try to work something out with him. [just an idea] Obviously this isn't a brand new engine and you drove it knowing that there was no oil pressure; maybe let your mechanic pay for the turbo charger and split the difference in cost of parts needed. [maybe split the labor too] He's your friend.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Do you have an exact point oil pressure used to be? If it is still at that point, and inspection shows main bearings are still good, you may still have a good engine. A lot of oil is splash lubrication, pressure bypass answer good if turbo gets it's pressure only from filtered oil and not the bypass oil. Airslides answer makes a lot of sense, if your mechanic will do the labor free, offer to split the bearing replacement cost as you did have a few miles on the old ones and by replacing you will feel better when you are far from home.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #26

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
After the turbo goes in, I'm going to hang around here, weather is nice, I need to get fresh tires mounted, so we'll put some miles on her. I know what the oil pressure is with fresh Delo, so we'll go from there. Does freak me out, though. The Isuzu guys tell me we might have dodged a bullet, as those are industrial engines.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
I'm not suggesting that this is wrong-headed and Mike should get a lawyer or anything crazy like that, but Mike pointed out the lack of oil pressure reading at startup and the mechanic told him to drive it. I see that as 2 mistakes the mechanic made, both serious.

I'd see what an inspection of the engine turns up, and see what the mechanic offers before I jumped in offering to go Dutch on the job.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Bsides no oil pressure when a turbo blows there is a possibillity of turbo ''shrapnel'' being sucked into the intake. Don't ask how I know. Sal.

TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote