Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Old Tires

My tires look pretty decent with a good amount of tread left and no cracking or chaulking. Haven't been too concerned about their integrety.

I took this photo of the DOT data and showed it to the guy at the tire store. He said they were manufactured on 5 month of 2004. According to my Captain Midnight decoder ring they were manufactured on the first week of 2002. (last four digits - 0102)

Even though they look good, I'm getting a little concerned about the integrety of 10 + or - year old tires. I know there are a ton of threads out there on tires and I've read through them. Any recomendations on a mid range 225/70R19.5. They will probably die of old age and not wear. I'm looking for a nice quiet ride and good handling.

Thanks, Dave...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire (Large).JPG
Views:	121
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	161465  
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
My ten year old tires looked good too when I set out to Alumapalooza. Then on rt 70 in Ohio the street side inner dually blew a huge hole in the side wall. I called good Sam road repair and they said it would be 4 hours before I could have someone out to change the tire so I did it myself. First I put the jack under the leaf spring and tried to jack it up but it would not go up high enough and I would have to let it back down and reposition it better on the rear diff. It was then I discovered I had faced the jack with the release valve facing under the motorhome so I could not reach the valve to let the jack down. So I got in the motorhome and started it up and moved the coach forward to trip the Moho off the jack. That did work and I placed the jack better and got it jacked up. Lucky for me I remembered to bring an impact wrench and the correct socket to take the the many lug nuts off. I got both tires off and lifted the spare out of the back. These tires are heavy and it is funn being on the street side on a major highway. I lifted the spare onto the axle and tried to put the second tire on only to discover that I put the inner tire on facing the wrong way so I removed the tire again. Did I mention these tires are heavy? I finally got them on and headed straight to a tire store and bought all new tires. If you don't want to have this much fun buy new tires. Steve
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, seems like the tire guy need to go back to tire school; I can see where he got his numbers, but wrong. My Mac Tools truck [P-30] ran 19.5 tires. I started with Michelins, went to Bridgstones, and finally Goodyears. The Goodyears had good grip but wore pretty fast. The Bridgstones lasted the longest, but were too hard; You could skid and not leave marks in the street. [less grip] The Michelins were the best all around tire; Good grip and good wear.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Dave, I'm in the same situation with 10+ yr old tires. I store the MH inside so side wall cracking and UV ray deterioration aren't a major concern and its hard to spend money to replace something that looks practically new. So I've decided I'll keep a close eye on them for a little while longer and only use them on shorter in state trips. Their are alot of views on tires, but for a smooth ride I think Michilin's would be hard to beat. I've been totally satisfied with mine.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Trust me, you do not want to blow a front tire, like I did on my 310 at road speed on a hot day. And it was a Michilin too. Interior tread separation. Damaged the wheel well, twisted the spedo cable, cracked the front bumper fairing. And a real difficult problem to get it jacked up right. Thats another story.

Don't wait and see. Replace them now.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I would not run on ten year old tires myself. I would have bought the Goodyear tires last year to replace the Goodyear tires that were on the MH but needed to save money and the MH sits at the ranch 90% of the time. I put on Sumitomo tires (made in Japan, not China). I'm happy with them. I am however doing more trips then I thought I would now that the MH is road worthy! Funny how that happens!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
We have been doing 1 long trip (3000 miles) and several short trips (100-200 miles) in a year. I'm more concerned about the short trips because they tend to be in the mountains.

Tires will be the next big purchase. I'm also considering a steering stabilizer. It has a Blue OX True Center. I haven't been able to get any factual information but I believe that it is a gas spring with no real dampening like a hydraulic unit. I drives pretty well but can be a handfull in gusty winds and rutted highways. Any recomendations?

"I am however doing more trips then I thought I would now that the MH is road worthy! Funny how that happens!"

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Dakota, I too have some nearly 10 year old(03) tires on my drive axle that look fine, but they will not be on there much longer... as soon as I start driving it they are on the trash list.
I am planning to put some tires that are biased toward traction rather than the steer or straight ribbed kind.
I too am planning some trips that will involve mountain passes in this sets lifetime, and I have had very bad experiences with wet grass, mud and snow with the rib style tire on my BMW... I got stuck so many times it was not funny.
This pic is of my rig at a campsite under the shoulder of Mt Blanc in Italy..
The previous year I got stuck with the open diff and one tire spinning uselessly. Its Z rated 18" high performance tires only had circumferencial grooves, and I had to be towed onto the gravel road..
The next year when this pic was taken, I had winter M+S rated tires and not a bit of problem getting out.

Which was good because on the way back over I had to drive out thru this!
Good job I planned ahead and had about 40 bottles of Italian red wine over the drive axle!

Now maybe you see why I am concerned!
You have that happen to you once and you never forget it!

With the 345 also the issue is the Tag axle robbing weight and therefore traction from the drive axle. You do not have that issue, but I assume you have an open diff...
The idea that on an uneven uphill mountain turn, and some gravel, or even water, could lift an inside tire enough to stop you dead, and put you in a bad place scares me.
I am not planning to drive in snow... but as I have seen and heard even Boondocking in a grassy field and having rain overnight might get you stuck..

I like the look of the following for the job, but have not really dug into pricing or where they are made..

Hercules H-702 Tire from

KUMHO Tires Canada / Tires / Commercial / Pick-Up / Delivery / POWER FLEET 937

Goodyear Commercial Truck Tires - G647 RSS Details

RLB490 Drive Truck-Tires, Light Truck Tires - Double Coin

Samson 225/70r19.5 GL268D All Season Truck tires 14 ply, 22570195 tire
Old 06-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Anyone have an opinion on Dynatracks?

Definitly the "least expensive" way to go. $1950 for 6 mounted, balanced, taxes, disposal...

Or about $3000 for Michelins.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Bought 2 for my trip home to CA..
Bearing in mind I had never driven a motorhome before, they felt fine to me... Ran smooth, and performed without any issues...
Old 06-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
At 105 psi, blowing a tire (especially on the front end), is not for the faint of heart; I thought at first I'd been shot at! When I re-new the spare gets thrown away and the best of the worst gets to be the spare. Rotating really helps, though the inside duals only get side to side.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
At 105 psi, blowing a tire (especially on the front end), is not for the faint of heart; I thought at first I'd been shot at! When I re-new the spare gets thrown away and the best of the worst gets to be the spare. Rotating really helps, though the inside duals only get side to side.
I bet Mike!
Also looking up under the front wheelarch remember you and the passenger are sitting right on it, with no steel between you and thrashing debris....

When I looked at the dates on mine when I bought it, the fronts were newish, so we looked at all of the dates, and the tags were 10, so they went byebye, and what was on the front went there. I like the idea of having the newest there!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
My Goodyear dealer once said, "the only use for a spare is to get you to the nearest tire store."
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
My spare has never been run. Still has the casting flashing and nubs on it. Its 10 years old but should make a reliable spare.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
My Goodyear dealer once said, "the only use for a spare is to get you to the nearest tire store."
Oh... Thanks for enlightening me Mike!
Clearly wherever I go I must be close to a Tire Store and close to closing time too..
Cos it explains the idiots driving at 70 on the spacesavers I see all the time!