Old 07-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
Oil filter report

For the life of me I can't seem to find a great report posted in these threads about a year ago or more about the different oil filters out there and how they were cut open and examined for quality and such. I think the search function may not go that far back. Does anyone remember that report and can I get the link? Thanks!

Old 07-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...tudy-4802.html
Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
The shop I worked in sold WIX/Dana, and I am impressed by them after comparing cut open filters. You know you're a gearhead when you open up your filters after a change. Now that I'm older, I just go to a change place that I trust.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
Thanks richinny, that's exactly what I was after!
Old 07-13-2008, 02:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you're most welcome!

i located the thread by scrolling down below to the " Similar Threads" box.

it was interesting reading. i rate my filters by how heavy they are, both dry and old/wet. i have liked hastings the best and have used fram without incident. from the story, it seems you have to pre-inspect, each time you buy one! one other guideline i use (non-synthetic) is that if i can't read through the oil, it should have been changed. i have seen turbo gassers
darked fresh quality oil. all my experience is with gas engines.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I think it would be a good idea if one of us did a little research, and created a sticky thread that lists oil filter applications for our motor homes, tow vehicles, and generators.
For example, most Ford trucks through 1996 use a Motorcraft FL1A oil filter, and most after that use a Motorcraft FL820S.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I think it would be a good idea if one of us did a little research, and created a sticky thread that lists oil filter applications for our motor homes, tow vehicles, and generators.
For example, most Ford trucks through 1996 use a Motorcraft FL1A oil filter, and most after that use a Motorcraft FL820S.
Terry sounds like a great idea. I'd like to suggest that the scope be expanded to cover things like windshield wiper blades, hoses, belts and any other consumable or hard to locate parts for our various vehicles

As an example I searched high and low for the correct parts for the steering on our 310 motorhome. Now that I have those parts it would be nice to be able to post the information in an easy to find location for others.

Of course the real problem now is for me to find that information again....

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I wholeheartedly agree. We threw a wheel bearing on our '89 345 in Kingman, AZ.
We spent 9 days in a motel while we, initially, waited for Freightliner to find a front wheel hub...they had the unit in a bay, pulled the wheel, and we couldn't stay in the unit in the garage...got the feeling that they weren't looking that hard, but we went online, then on phone...finally found 2 hubs in Minnesota, and had them overnighted...we now have a back-up hub...see related thread on forums...
A list of parts, parts numbers, possible sources, etc. would be a great reference...I would be willing to help find some of the info, but I think this would need to be a community effort, as the info must be staggering. We aren't re-inventing the aluminum wheel, are we?
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I wonder if having a separate thread for each main forum would be appropriate? I wouldn't necessarily want to dig through a long document or set of posts that covers Trailers and Motorhomes if I'm only looking for Motorhome specific parts.

Just a thought.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I wonder if having a separate thread for each main forum would be appropriate? I wouldn't necessarily want to dig through a long document or set of posts that covers Trailers and Motorhomes if I'm only looking for Motorhome specific parts.

Just a thought.

Brad
I think a separate thread for each major unit would be good, such as
Ford Chassis common part numbers
GM P series chassis common part numbers
Workhorse Chassis common part numbers
Onan Generator common part numbers
There could even be a thread for Trailer common part numbers. That would be wheel bearing, seal, brake part, even light bulb numbers.
We could also have a body thread, with lists of common part numbers for wiper blades, battery sizes, and what have you for Classic, Land Yacht, and Squarestream (Land Yacht Trailer) bodies.
It would probably be best to start with one series, go through and find and post all the common part numbers for that series, then move to the next one.
It would be great at the top of each subforum to have a "sticky--read this--common part numbers for this model"
And no, I don't think we (the forum) have done this, so it will all be in one spot. I hope.
A standard format would be good for searches, such as model, engine, years the part fits.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I think a separate thread for each major unit would be good, such as
Ford Chassis common part numbers
GM P series chassis common part numbers
Workhorse Chassis common part numbers
Onan Generator common part numbers
There could even be a thread for Trailer common part numbers. That would be wheel bearing, seal, brake part, even light bulb numbers.
We could also have a body thread, with lists of common part numbers for wiper blades, battery sizes, and what have you for Classic, Land Yacht, and Squarestream (Land Yacht Trailer) bodies.
It would probably be best to start with one series, go through and find and post all the common part numbers for that series, then move to the next one.
It would be great at the top of each subforum to have a "sticky--read this--common part numbers for this model"
And no, I don't think we (the forum) have done this, so it will all be in one spot. I hope.
A standard format would be good for searches, such as model, engine, years the part fits.
Was there ever a 'sticky' thread listing parts numbers for motorhomes? I can't seem to find it if there was.
Thanks, Derek
Old 10-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Find the DONALDSON Endurance part number for your app and the search is over.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote