Old 05-22-2015, 02:56 PM   #15

McKinleyville , California
New to me TOO!

Seeing as how everyone is making announcement about their new homes I going to make my first post here that I will be going this Thursday to pick up my new to me 1978 7.0 Avion. I had been searching for a used AS or Argosy but when I saw this unit on craigslist In Woodland, CA I took a drive and fell in LOVE! Pictures will follow, do I need to post them on Vintage Kin though?

Old 05-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
You are in good company here. I have been Airstreaming for 5 years and it is great. I have been following these threads for a few months and realize all the people like you. There is a book called "How not to RV" by a women that bought a "rig" like you did, I think you would enjoy it. Life is not about setting on one's ass it is about doing things. When you get it is shape it will be such a great part of your life. Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:25 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
For me its like seeing that homeless little puppy by the side of the road. If I don't pick it up and take it home,, would else would?

From the photo it looks like you are starting off with a project that is not a total basket case like some projects one see;s around here..

Good luck and enjoy the time investment ,, and take pride in your efforts as so many others just buy things ready to go and worry about the banker payments later.

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Brighton , Ontario
Roll up your sleeves and get to it. There's some work to be done. You'll be able to get lots of help here as things progress.

Congratulations on your acquisition!
Hensley Arrow
Hans Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #19
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans 34.5 View Post
Hello I'm the new guy Name is Hans just got home with a 1987,34.5 AS MO.
What have I done.
By far the most craziest thing I have paid money for some of my friends told me not to do it but I know better right.
You're the guy in this picture, it's his first dive and he's thinking.....it can't be that bad.....could it???

Welcome and good luck.
Cheers
Tony
Attached Images

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
I thought I was the only one

OMG I just want to you to know there's a shoulder to cry on in Franklin Park Illinois.
I bought mine about 6 months ago, I don't want to scare you but I spent most of the winter working on it. rebuild 2 LP heaters, some front end work, new marker lights, repaires on the automatic entry step, horns, belts and thermostat rear bed repair and a few other things
But mine does run and drive. I finally got to take it on two small camping trips to Lowden state park. Although I'm still a bit nervous driving it (mostly just because of its age) I LOVE it
YA mine still has a cracked windshield, a few balding tires, an oil pressure guage that works only occasionally and a leaking toilet... New toilet is on its way from Amazon
Would love to compare notes with you.
This forum can't be beat for GOOD information and GREAT people
I live in Franklin Park, my 345 is stored in Rockford
Old 05-22-2015, 11:19 PM   #21

1961 22' Spaceliner
Temecula , California
It's going to be great! I bought my '61 Spaceliner off Craigslist and spent the last couple months sanding, priming and painting every (wood) cupboard, drawer and door. This past week I went section by section with aircraft stripper and then scraped every exterior square inch, scrubbed and power rinsed it. Next, polishing! It's 22 foot length felt larger and larger with each hand-scraped inch. And still I'm perusing Craigslist on my tablet at night "just to see what else is out there." It's an addiction for sure, but quite enjoyable. It was so exciting to tow my first Airstream (and first trailer) on her maiden campout. Enjoy the project.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
2010 22' Interstate
Carol Stream , Illinois
I too have tried to post here to no avail. I can reply to a post but don't know how to initiate one on the forums. I did get one posted in a section on battery questions but it never made it to the ones we read on a daily basis.
???
Old 05-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Hebron , Illinois
Thank you for the warm welcome.

This AS was last run down the road 10 years ago.
I have worked on old trucks and cars and boats this does not scare me at all.
Just work on one part at a time. And hope to get it done before the first thing you fixed needs it again because it took 10 years to get it all done.

It will never be perfect for some but will be just fine for us.
Get it clean and make it safe to go on a trip and make it back home.
And keep the mice out sent them all note don't go in my AS or else.

New thread top left click on it to start a new one.

Thanks again. This is going to be a wild ride.
Get off the porch and get going you can't do this in a nursing home.
Hans
Old 05-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
That's the correct attitude! I always get it roadworthy first and worry about the cosmetics last. I plan and tackle one project at a time with minimal down time. It a camper! Not a shrine!
Old 05-24-2015, 05:50 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
That's the correct attitude! I always get it roadworthy first and worry about the cosmetics last. I plan and tackle one project at a time with minimal down time. It a camper! Not a shrine!
I would agree with one small change. Do it right the first time... Get it mechanically good and safe, do not scrimp on time or money. Once you get your mobile aluminum tent road worthy, then start at the basic hotel services and work from there.

It will be what you make it..... You just have to take time to step back every now and then from the process (that is quite daunting) and see what it could be.

Keep us posted and ask lots of questions, we have all been where you are (deciding whether to pressure wash it, fumigate it, or gut it first).

Here is what I would suggest:

1. Thoroughly wash the outside.
2. Set off bug bombs inside and put out mice traps.
3. Seal the roof around the skylights, A/C and other areas. Getting and keeping it water proof is a priority.
4. Make a list of what needs to be done mechanically and structurally and then prioritize.

Have fun and enjoy the ride!
Old 05-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Looking forward to hearing about your progress. I think I hear from the folks with more experience than me. Get organized, set priorities, take your time and remember this is for fun.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Hebron , Illinois
Good idea thanks.
? Is it best to park the MO on level ground at all times. I was thinking about heavy thunder storms and down poring rain and all the windows.
The roof looks good. But does need some caulking to make sure it is water tight for the long term.
What is best for that? I have used 3M 5200 on the boats it works good under water. Hard to get off.

1. Thoroughly wash the outside.
2. Set off bug bombs inside and put out mice traps.
3. Seal the roof around the skylights, A/C and other areas. Getting and keeping it water proof is a priority.
4. Make a list of what needs to be done mechanically and structurally and then prioritize.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:15 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
Redgranite , Wisconsin
Thumbs up Providing Inspiration-One fellow Aluminatic at a time

Welcome to the fun!
I remember picking up my '65. Leaving at 5am from Wisconsin, driving to Ohio...the day after THANKSGIVING...and back. Semi's blowing past me in winter construction zones in CHICAGO at MIDNIGHT on split rims with what appeared to be original tires. No spare and no sway control. Oh the blissful ignorance and foolishness of the newbie struck with an E-bay dose of Aluminitus.
I still get the shakes over that.
I did have working brakes and lights with newly packed bearings so I was only a 9 out of 10 on the idiot scale.
I pulled in to my narrow driveway with 10 feet between my house and my neighbors at 2am with the biggest grin, but woke up the next morning thinking the same thing my wife and neighbors probably did...What Have I Done?
It's all good. Eat the elephant one bite a a time. Do not compromise your efforts. And never leave the table for too long.