Old 02-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
New side windows

Hey,
Does anyone know if you can replace the old style side windows on a classic,with new windows from, say an AS travel trailer. Seems to me, there'd be a whole lot quieter, less hassle to work. Expensive, probably, but safer too.
A lot of my locks are broken. And those gray channels in the window channels I was so excited about getting made? Well, I'm loosing hope. My guy, still hasn't gotten his machine operational. And the other sourseis questionable.
So I'm starting to think, replacing the whole unit may be the way to go. If they are dimensionally the same size, we may be on to something. Plus, they look pretty cool. Loose the bar in the center of the window. Suggestions,anyone? DJ

davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:04 AM   #2
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by davejay View Post
Hey,
Does anyone know if you can replace the old style side windows on a classic,with new windows from, say an AS travel trailer. Seems to me, there'd be a whole lot quieter, less hassle to work. Expensive, probably, but safer too.
A lot of my locks are broken. And those gray channels in the window channels I was so excited about getting made? Well, I'm loosing hope. My guy, still hasn't gotten his machine operational. And the other sourseis questionable.
So I'm starting to think, replacing the whole unit may be the way to go. If they are dimensionally the same size, we may be on to something. Plus, they look pretty cool. Loose the bar in the center of the window. Suggestions,anyone? DJ
Many models of motorhome come with a mixture of fixed (trailer) and sliding windows, but that doesn't mean they are interchangeable, just that they look the same size.

FWTW I have been in discussions with CR Laurence about making direct replacement 30" and 24" contour slider windows (they use a clamp-in approach and it would include a built in trim to close-out the gap between outer and inner skin). Those discussions stalled because they would only make them from black anodized extrusion.....and the minimum numbers needed to do a run.

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:40 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
I could live with black extruded windows. How many did you have to order, before they would make them. And what was the cost per unit. Are they American made? DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote