Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
New Member and already need help

Hello All,
I'm new to actually posting in the forums but I've received help in the past from the gurus on here with my buddy (fish36991) working the online side for me. I have a 1985 325 that put up for sale but decided to keep an bring her back to glory. I just ordered two new A/C units as well as a new fridge, waiting for them to arrive so can search the forum on how to install them. Tuesday, I dropped the 90 gallon fuel tank and primered/painted it. Ended up building a custom fuel sender from a universal kit and a few old parts. (message me if you need any information or tips on any of these tasks) I'm replacing all flexible fuel lines under the MH and I also need to the the Koeler generator running again. The MH has sat in the driveway since last year but I see some serious miles in her in my near future.

Anyway, I've been searching the posts regularly for several weeks now and I've finally run across a problem that I could not find the answer to in previous posts.

My 6-way power driver seat in the MH had one of the tabs break off and had to be welded back on. I 'disassembled' the seat by removing the electric motors from the seat frame to have it welded. There is a good chance that it sat around for several months before making the extremely long journey (8 miles) to the shop to be welded so I seem to have forgotten how to get it back together again. It seemed much simplier when it is all put together and there are fewer parts laying around. If anyone has a schematic, picture, crayon drawing or any other such help...it would be greatly appreciated. It has B&L Industries motors on it. If you need any specific data, let me know and I'll look for it or I can take a pic and post it if needed.

Thanks in advance

Mike
MS325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Mike,

I am certain a photo would assist! You have a unique problem here... the trailer Airstreams just don't have power driver seats. However, the MH Airstreams probably do...so hopefully some of them will step up and answer your question!

A policy we try to do around here at our house ... even if it seems stupidly simple, we take digital photos of the disassembly steps of any project ~ that way when it comes time to reassembly we might be able to find the photos on our hard drives and use them for help when we forget!

Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:06 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
MS325,
When we got our 345, the previous owner had sent the Kohler generator back to Kohler for rehab. This was in about 2002. Our unit has over 700 hours on it now and runs great. I don't know what they charge to do the work, but I think it is probably worth it.
Good luck, Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:15 AM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Mike,
Welcome to the forum! I've driven my 345 right through your town on my way to Atlanta and Florida from Louisville. The 325 is one of my favorite units and I'm glad to hear you're bringing your back from the edge. Just missed out on one before I found our 345.

I have the power seats in mine. I'll see if I can dig up a diagram.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the responses. Right after I realized my mental picture wasn't as accurate as I thought it would be, I thought to myself that I should have taken a picture before taking it apart. Digital pictures before removing ANYTHING is now procedure. I spent several hours in the middle of the night figuring out how the seat base goes back together. Right now all the electric motors are in place and all I need to do is get the rear left side spring on. It seems like a great way to hurt myself so any hints on this would be great. I seem to be making some progress.

Changing out the thermostat, one of the bolts sheered off so that's my newest obsticale but forcing through it.

Also, I tried to call the Airstream Manual person (Helen Davis) but I can't get a person on the line. Can anyone verify this number is correct 937-492-8885? Or, does anyone have a copy of the service manual for a 1985 325 MH?

Rob...Did you happen to get a receipt on getting the kohler serviced? I think is is just a fuel issue. It has spark and will run if I put a little gas in the carb so that narrows it down.

Thanks again for all the responses and I'm sure I'll be throwing out more questions for you guys very soon,

Mike
Old 08-25-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS325
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the responses. Right after I realized my mental picture wasn't as accurate as I thought it would be, I thought to myself that I should have taken a picture before taking it apart. Digital pictures before removing ANYTHING is now procedure. I spent several hours in the middle of the night figuring out how the seat base goes back together. Right now all the electric motors are in place and all I need to do is get the rear left side spring on. It seems like a great way to hurt myself so any hints on this would be great. I seem to be making some progress.

Changing out the thermostat, one of the bolts sheered off so that's my newest obsticale but forcing through it.

Also, I tried to call the Airstream Manual person (Helen Davis) but I can't get a person on the line. Can anyone verify this number is correct 937-492-8885? Or, does anyone have a copy of the service manual for a 1985 325 MH?

Rob...Did you happen to get a receipt on getting the kohler serviced? I think is is just a fuel issue. It has spark and will run if I put a little gas in the carb so that narrows it down.

Thanks again for all the responses and I'm sure I'll be throwing out more questions for you guys very soon,

Mike
I can't take credit for the following, nor have I tried it personally, but it was posted by thenewkid64 (Brett G.). He says there is an Airsteam Tech Support Hot Line @ 1-877-596-6505. It's a voice mail system and they request the following information on your first call:

1. Name
2. daytime phone #
3. motorhome model
4. model year
5. last 6 digits of serial number (Airstream #, I'm sure - not likely the VIN)
6. description of problem or information you require

They will call you back within 24 hours with information.

I thought you might get some help with that seat diagram. I have every manual printed for 1989, but nothing there about the seat mechanism.

Best,
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Tim,
Thanks for the info. I have the seat back together now but I may try them for a lead as to where to purchase a copy of the owners manual and service manual. I still have not been able to make contact with Helen Davis yet.

Does anyone know of another source for Airstream manuals?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-26-2006, 06:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS325
Tim,
Thanks for the info. I have the seat back together now but I may try them for a lead as to where to purchase a copy of the owners manual and service manual. I still have not been able to make contact with Helen Davis yet.

Does anyone know of another source for Airstream manuals?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike,
Try asking right here on the Forum if anyone either has the manuals, or would be willing to copy (or mail it to you - you copy - and then you return the original). I've actually been able to get a complete set of manuals for my 370LE (I paid the postage and sent the member a token amount in gratitude), and there were only 15 370s ever manufactured. I've also mailed a manual to another Forum member who copied it, and returned the original to me (He also mailed me the money to cover my postage to him, and an amount in gratitude - even though I certainly didn't expect that). In both cases we worked on an honor system. No problems either time.

To my knowledge, and I've read lots of discussions on here about manuals, there is no "source" other than fellow Airstreamers.

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 08-28-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Marietta , Georgia
Send a message via MSN to 85/345
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
Mike,
Try asking right here on the Forum if anyone either has the manuals, or would be willing to copy (or mail it to you - you copy - and then you return the original). I've actually been able to get a complete set of manuals for my 370LE (I paid the postage and sent the member a token amount in gratitude), and there were only 15 370s ever manufactured. I've also mailed a manual to another Forum member who copied it, and returned the original to me (He also mailed me the money to cover my postage to him, and an amount in gratitude - even though I certainly didn't expect that). In both cases we worked on an honor system. No problems either time.

To my knowledge, and I've read lots of discussions on here about manuals, there is no "source" other than fellow Airstreamers.

Best,
Well Tim I will go ahead and ask. I'm in the same situation as Mike, I need manuals for a 1985 345, is there anyone out there willing to make a copy for me or send me theirs and I will make a copy and than send it back. I will be more than happy to cover all the costs and little something extra for your troubles.

Thanks,
Brian
85/345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Question 1985 Manuals Needed - Just need copies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85/345
Well Tim I will go ahead and ask. I'm in the same situation as Mike, I need manuals for a 1985 345, is there anyone out there willing to make a copy for me or send me theirs and I will make a copy and than send it back. I will be more than happy to cover all the costs and little something extra for your troubles.

Thanks,
Brian
Just in case this comes up, the manuals for 1985 should cover all the models for that year if they were printed like the ones for 1989. My '89 manuals cover all the models. There were some gaps, since Airstream did funky things like make a MoHo in 1990 that's not in the manuals, but since they are all essentially the same, it didn't matter.

How about it folks? Anyone have the 1985 manuals you would be willing to share with Brian and Mike?
AIR # 5648
Old 08-28-2006, 06:03 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
look in ebay rv parts they have 2 in there....
bobchevy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:09 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
MS325,
Sorry, I don't have a recipt for the Kohler work on our Generator.
Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:51 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Bob,
I hate to be a pain but I just looked on ebay and couldn't find it...unless Brian just bought them up. I saw one for a 1977 but I think that is too old to be accurate for an 1985 325. Could you PLEASE provide a link to the auctions of these manuals on ebay?

Thanks so much for you help,

Mike
Old 08-29-2006, 07:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Mike,

I went directly to ebay after Bob's post, and I couldn't find one either. Also, I'm getting a little confused, so I want to be sure I've got this straight. You're looking for the set of manuals for your 325, right? Or is it just the generator? I sort of got the impression Bob might have been referring to the generator, but I didn't see that either.
AIR # 5648
Old 08-29-2006, 01:46 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Tim,
We were looking for the manuals for the 325 MH itself. We have a copy of the manual for the generator already and have been using it to troubleshoot. So, we think the float is sticking right now but we are still looking for the Owners Manual and the Service Manual for the 325.

Mike
Old 08-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Mike,

OK, that's what I thought. I really hope someone sees this who will be willing to do what I wrote about earlier. It was a great help to me, and to the folks I've shared with. Never had any problems with payment of postage, speedy turn-around of material, nor damage to my materials. My times of doing this were handled by PM, but please let us know if someone does help you out. I wish you the best with this.

We need to all hang together, or we'll certainly hang separately .

Best,
AIR # 5648