Old 05-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

New 96 Airstream Purchase trip home

Hi Folks,
I just bought a 1996 36 foot airstream motorhome in Detroit Michigan. I plan on flying down and then driving it back. I have a couple of questions.
I have spent most of this afternoon on the phone and know what I need to do on the Canadian side but I am a bit confused on the Michigan side. I plan to travel through the US home.
My questions:
- do I need a Michigan ďin Transit permit or will the Alberta one be good enough
- Will the Michigan permit (if there is one) allow me to travel through the US or should I come home the Canadian way. I guess in other words do I have to stop in every state and get a permit as I cross the US?
- Can I cross at Ontario and only pay GST because I am from Alberta?

Can anyone shed any light on this?
Thanks In advance.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Pitt Meadows , British Columbia
Hi Peter,

I can help some as I just brought my 240 from WA state into BC a little over a month ago.

In my experience though you're distance and model year differs:

If the unit is insured then inspect and road test - if not the owner will need to get a permit and allow you to road test - ensure the title is clear.
Your trip permit will entitle you to drive the vehicle home across states in-between but not to tour or vacation along the way - a reasonable time is allowed - the dmv clerk will clarify this for you - allow for any extra time that you may have to leave the MH in the US while paperwork clears (3-5 business days unless you provide it to them prior to leaving)

I parked at a holding lot on the US side and returned 3 days later to pick up the paperwork with their stamp of approval - then proceeded to the CDN side but I live one hour from where I had stored it.

The CDN side was easy as you mentioned as the 83 was exempt from duties and MOT inspections. Only a visual inspection was needed at the local insurance office upon registration. Not sure on the 96, likely a further step required there as far as inspections but hopefully you are able to do that once you return home for a Provincial look over. Call the toll free number in the blue pages and they'll direct you - very helpful actually.

I was only required to pay GST at the border and then the PST when I registered the MH - this will be the same for you.

That was it - crossed the border and had new plates the same day.

You do not want to overlook any details once you are committed - delays can cost you plenty of time and money.

DECLARE exactly how much cash you are bringing with you if over $10k when you reach customs - make it the very first thing you say!

US Customs "Hello, where are we going today?"
You "Detroit with $xxx in cash to purchase a MH"

If you are bringing anyone along it helps if you've crossed with them before - if not you will be delayed - or turned back if it is anyone you work with or have worked with in the past - any implication of importing labor into the US is a big flag. Going solo is much easier if possible.

Other than that - simple as pie.

Best of luck on your trip!

Old 05-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Hi,
If you choose to go through the States back to home, there won't be any delays at State Lines. In fact, there are NO stations at State lines to stop whoever travels through the US. Good luck on your purchase and trip home. As always, anyone here will tell you, post pix of your new AS, as well as your trip home.
Thanks, Derek
Old 05-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Every state in the U.S. honors every other states registration be it permanent or temporary. Get your tag or temp in MI and you are good Atlantic to pacific.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote