Old 09-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Wetaskiwin , Alberta
Never mind the mice, what about the flies?

I cannot seem to keep flies from getting in to the MH this time of year..... they're cluster flies, also known as buckwheat flies or loft flies, and they hibernate in structures..... there may be hundreds of them in there for all I know, but they come out in warmer weather, then die, and either alive or dead they're a nuisance. I'm not sure where they get in, not windows apparently, but presumably via some of the roof structures or side vents. Anyone had any success in keeping them out or otherwise dealing with them?

Penmaenmawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master
I feel your pain....

#1 keep the place clean

#2 Electronic fly swatter ( regular fly swatters make a bloody mess )

#3 I had some luck with a 12 volt dust buster.

#4 Use the bait and swat method.

One guy on the forum was struggling with ants. He finally gave up and started putting a cookie on a paper plate, left on the counter. When enough ants started to party on the plate, he would throw it out.

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I had a battery powered hand held bug zapper. Still had flies but had a lot of fun.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Wetaskiwin , Alberta
Doesn't matter if you keep it clean or dirty with these flies.... all they are after is shelter.

I guess what I am trying to ask is, where do they get in?
Penmaenmawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My husband & sons rent some land to hunt on & take the trailer out there. Every year it comes back with bajillions of flies in it! Same thing as you. I think they're wizards at getting in the trailer!!! It doesn't leak, but the flies sure find holes somewhere!! Frustrating! (I've had 3 different trailers--2 AS's & 1 Avion since they hunt there & they all come back with the curse of the flies!)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master
"Where do they get in?"

I don't have a motorhome and I don't know these bugs, but I camp in a trailer. I would think that there are more places for insects (and mice ) to get into a motorhome than there is on a trailer. Climate control systems vents, passenger window without screens , are things that trailers don't have.

Places that there is a wire, pipe, gas line, or drain, goes into or out of a camper, often have a slightly larger holes, where pest can get in.

At some point you have to open a door, but even when I have mine stored, I come back to dead bugs.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
I sealed up a couple holes with electricians putty... Yup, bought a slab at big box store. Tear off a chunk and mold to opening. Works great around AC drain line.

Stainless steel "pot scrubber" like Pad makes good "rodent" deterrent. Check regularly cut disturbance.

Spray insecticide around tires, stabilizer pads, utility connections, tongue jack. Try to get it in the ground, don't saturate trailer.

Once I saw a swarm of flies around holding tank vent...something got their attention....

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote